Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

Melvin Gordon would need to come VERY cheap to make sense for the Bills.

Otherwise, we should just focus on grabbing a guy on Day 2 of the draft.  It's very likely that we can get someone that would be equally as productive.

The Bills have enough cap space to play around with, but they still need to be careful.

Thanks to the 5th Year Option, we do have some time before Tre White (likely) becomes the highest paid CB in the NFL.  

But both Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano are free agents next season, and I would have to imagine both are in our long-term plans.

Rough estimates have each guy making $14-15 million per year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Melvin Gordon would need to come VERY cheap to make sense for the Bills.

Otherwise, we should just focus on grabbing a guy on Day 2 of the draft.  It's very likely that we can get someone that would be equally as productive.

The Bills have enough cap space to play around with, but they still need to be careful.

Thanks to the 5th Year Option, we do have some time before Tre White (likely) becomes the highest paid CB in the NFL.  

But both Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano are free agents next season, and I would have to imagine both are in our long-term plans.

Rough estimates have each guy making $14-15 million per year.

You don't mean that Milano would be making that much do you?

I have to be honest -- I don't really want to see the Bills sign Gordon or Gurley.

Once you get past the "big name" factor and the "he used to put up good fantasy numbers for me" factor, you can see the reality of each player clearly: In Gordon's case, he has averaged LESS than 4 yards per carry in four of his five professional seasons. In Gurley's case, his effectiveness has decreased in each of the past couple seasons, and there are rumors that his degenerative knee condition is quite bad indeed.

Draft a running back between rounds 2-4, bring another in via UDFA. Roll into camp (if there IS a camp) with Singletary, rookie 1, rookie 2, TJ Yeldon, and Taiwan Jones.

Just say no to spending $6million on over-hyped running backs. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I have to be honest -- I don't really want to see the Bills sign Gordon or Gurley.

Once you get past the "big name" factor and the "he used to put up good fantasy numbers for me" factor, you can see the reality of each player clearly: In Gordon's case, he has averaged LESS than 4 yards per carry in four of his five professional seasons. In Gurley's case, his effectiveness has decreased in each of the past couple seasons, and there are rumors that his degenerative knee condition is quite bad indeed.

Draft a running back between rounds 2-4, bring another in via UDFA. Roll into camp (if there IS a camp) with Singletary, rookie 1, rookie 2, TJ Yeldon, and Taiwan Jones.

I even think rounds 2 and 3 are too early. 4th or later and UDFAs. Teams find good RBs everywhere. Spending valuable resources on them is a waste.

Wouldnt mind Freeman on a cheaper 1yr prove-it deal either

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I even think rounds 2 and 3 are too early. 4th or later and UDFAs. Teams find good RBs everywhere. Spending valuable resources on them is a waste.

Wouldnt mind Freeman on a cheaper 1yr prove-it deal either

Trust the board.  The Bills have that luxury.

Feels nice to have a competent Front Office.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

You don't mean that Milano would be making that much do you?

Rough average between the two guys.

People have been estimating $15-16 per year for Dion Dawkins, and $12-13 for Matt Milano.

Now contract average doesn't always equate to cap hit, and contracts can be structured in a million different ways.

But the general idea is that we will absolutely need some extra space next year.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Rough average between the two guys.

People have been estimating $15-16 per year for Dion Dawkins, and $12-13 for Matt Milano.

Now contract average doesn't always equate to cap hit, and contracts can be structured in a million different ways.

But the general idea is that we will absolutely need some extra space next year.

Wow, I honestly I hadn't realized that LB salaries were that high but I just looked it up and  sure enough.   Learn something every day!