Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

51 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Houston-Texans-trade-WR-Brandin-Cooks-Rams-15191040.php

Texans trade for WR brandin Cooks.

Cooks + 2021 4th for pick #57

Bill O'Brien is an idiot. He essentially just traded Hopkins for Cooks and basically moved up 17 spots in the 2nd round. Terrible, terrible trade. 

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Bill O'Brien is an idiot. He essentially just traded Hopkins for Cooks and basically moved up 17 spots in the 2nd round. Terrible, terrible trade. 

This trade wasn't that bad. The Hopkins trade was. This trade is more reasonable.

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

This trade wasn't that bad. The Hopkins trade was. This trade is more reasonable.

Cooks had 580 yards last year and has an extensive concussion history. This trade isn't as bad as the Hopkins trade, but it's still bad. And they wouldn't have needed to do it if he hadn't traded Hopkins. They're chasing their tail and getting significantly worse.

28 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Cooks had 580 yards last year and has an extensive concussion history. This trade isn't as bad as the Hopkins trade, but it's still bad. And they wouldn't have needed to do it if he hadn't traded Hopkins. They're chasing their tail and getting significantly worse.

This trade is a separate matter from the Hopkins trade. 2 years ago, Cooks was traded for a first, then went and had a career best in yards. Before this year, he had 4 straight 1000+ yard, 16 game seasons. For a rough equivalent of an early third, this is a reasonable trade. (Late second for Cooks and a fourth)

Cooks and Fuller seem to have Injury Bug. I personally would’ve taken one of Reagor/Hamler whoever was available at 57 when my pick came around. But I do see the value in getting a veteran as opposed to a rookie when there might not be an off-season.

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Cooks and Fuller seem to have Injury Bug. I personally would’ve taken one of Reagor/Hamler whoever was available at 57 when my pick came around. But I do see the value in getting a veteran as opposed to a rookie when there might not be an off-season.

Cooks fits that offense well. Verticals all day. He'll do very well there. Concussions scare me but the draft is still unknown.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cooks fits that offense well. Verticals all day. He'll do very well there. Concussions scare me but the draft is still unknown.

The problem is coverage can take away Fuller or Cooks.  When they need a play who does Watson have?  What Allen had to deal with the last 2 years, Watson will have to do it for the first time.

• Like (+1) 1

Cooks is a very good player. You can’t deny his talent and production. Unfortunately, 4 concussions is nothing to play around with, and had a big impact on him last season. Don’t know what can happen with the next one...

On 4/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, Codyny13 said:

Cooks is a very good player. You can’t deny his talent and production. Unfortunately, 4 concussions is nothing to play around with, and had a big impact on him last season. Don’t know what can happen with the next one...

Just like the Mitch Morse situation? 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, Codyny13 said:

I like Cooks a lot but if a guy with that much talent has been traded twice in a matter of two years and I am a GM I probably dont make my team the 3rd in 4.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:59 PM, cle23 said:

Yup, and glad to see it. It’s great when other team do the self inflicted wounds thing. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, Watkins101 said:

This trade is a separate matter from the Hopkins trade. 2 years ago, Cooks was traded for a first, then went and had a career best in yards. Before this year, he had 4 straight 1000+ yard, 16 game seasons. For a rough equivalent of an early third, this is a reasonable trade. (Late second for Cooks and a fourth)

You really have to wonder WHY he was traded

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You really have to wonder WHY [Cooks] was traded

I thought it was a salary dump since the Rams are in cap hell with more to come in the next few years.  For example, if they like Goff (a legit question) they'll have to pay him soon.

24 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

I thought it was a salary dump since the Rams are in cap hell with more to come in the next few years.  For example, if they like Goff (a legit question) they'll have to pay him soon.

Didn’t they just sign him last year to a huge deal?