Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yes.  Where he was drafted cannot be ignored. (IMO)

So Sammy sucks?  Then Milano should be HoF because he was drafted in the 5th round?

I agree with your thoughts about the GM and the draft. But when I evaluate players in the league I don’t care where they were drafted.  

Your logic would have had us not make the Hughes trade (a 1st rounder not playing well) for Sheppard (a meh middle round pick).  You have to evaluate the player without mind of where he was drafted. 

and yes you evaluate the GM based on where they picked the player. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

So Sammy sucks?  Then Milano should be HoF because he was drafted in the 5th round?

I agree with your thoughts about the GM and the draft. But when I evaluate players in the league I don’t care where they were drafted.  

Your logic would have had us not make the Hughes trade (a 1st rounder not playing well) for Sheppard (a meh middle round pick).  You have to evaluate the player without mind of where he was drafted. 

and yes you evaluate the GM based on where they picked the player. 

Matt Milano has outperformed his draft position, he is not a bust and is a very pleasant surprise.

Sammy has not outperformed his draft position by a very wide margin.  That makes him a draft bust.

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Matt Milano has outperformed his draft position, he is not a bust and is a very pleasant surprise.

Sammy has not outperformed his draft position by a very wide margin.  That makes him a draft bust.

Gotcha. I agree with him being a bust. But wouldn’t say he sucks. Thanks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I don’t view that definition as a “bust”...to me a “bust” is when a player drafted fairly high doesn’t even manage to become a serviceable player- likely resulting in being cut, or out of the league in short order (ie Jamarcus Russel, EJ Manuel, Jonny Manzeil, JP Losman)....Sammy is not a bust imho, but rather a mediocre player...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t view that definition as a “bust”...to me a “bust” is when a player drafted fairly high doesn’t even manage to become a serviceable player- likely resulting in being cut, or out of the league in short order (ie Jamarcus Russel, EJ Manuel, Jonny Manzeil, JP Losman)....Sammy is not a bust imho, but rather a mediocre player...

To each his own.  Based on his draft position he is, to me.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Is there any news on OT LaAdrian Waddle? I’d like to sign him for depth and competition if he is healthy. 

Nothing that I have seen.  I did read an article somewhat back that a torn quad is hard for OL players to recover from.

Probably won't get any looks until he can visit teams and get checked/worked out.

36 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Is there any news on OT LaAdrian Waddle? I’d like to sign him for depth and competition if he is healthy. 

I'm guessing that with the Williams signing, Waddle is a longshot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, WMDman said:

per nfl network. terms still unknown 

On 3/15/2020 at 2:24 PM, astb41 said:

what time does the legal tampering period begin?

Would like to know as well

Did Jason Peters  or everson Griffith sign yet?

44 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm guessing that with the Williams signing, Waddle is a longshot.

Yeah, at this point, I would guess Waddle is on their shortlist if an injury occurs during TC or during the season if he isn't picked up elsewhere 

13 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, players shouldn't be judged based on their draft position and GMs shouldn't be judged based on their drafts.  Participation trophies for all.  Wonderful.

Watkins was drafted #4.  He has not come close to living up to that potential and based on draft position, he sucks.

Whaley moved up to draft him even though he didn't have a QB to get him the ball, he sucks.

A player can only be judged upon his play. The player has no say in where he is drafted. 

The general manager who drafts the player, however, SHOULD be judged based upon draft value relative to performance. 

Think critically.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Could be the impact of Waddle's injury is still evident.

Or they just don’t know enough yet because they can’t examine him with their own doctors. A lot of these fringe guys coming off injury are going to be late signings with the current restrictions 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

A player can only be judged upon his play. The player has no say in where he is drafted. 

The general manager who drafts the player, however, SHOULD be judged based upon draft value relative to performance. 

Think critically.

So, Watkins has maxed out his god given abilities.  Got it.