Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why you're willing to fight to the death for this turd is beyond me.

I tend to push back against extremism on players.

I have no issue with the opinion that he didn’t live up to #4 overall pick status. The idea that he sucks and isn’t any more than a WR3 is silly and indefensible.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I tend to push back against extremism on players.

I have no issue with the opinion that he didn’t live up to #4 overall pick status. The idea that he sucks and isn’t any more than a WR3 is silly and indefensible.

Suckitude is a relative value.  Based on where he was picked, he sucks.  The fault of where he was drafted isn't his.  Much of what has transpired since, is his fault.  He took a prove it deal for a reason as he has much to prove.  Does he have value? Yes.  Is his value as over inflated as it was?  Not any longer.  Maybe a one year deal will light his fire.  Time will tell.  

33 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Suckitude is a relative value.  Based on where he was picked, he sucks.  The fault of where he was drafted isn't his.  Much of what has transpired since, is his fault.  He took a prove it deal for a reason as he has much to prove.  Does he have value? Yes.  Is his value as over inflated as it was?  Not any longer.  Maybe a one year deal will light his fire.  Time will tell.  

I am willing to take a $9million prove it deal. I actually do suck, so maybe I will take less. Guys who actually need to prove it are taking $1-2.5million deals. Sammy does not suck. Draft positioning plays no bearing on a players on-field value. Is he a top 5 WR as we had expected/hoped for? Nope. Is he a top end WR2? Absolutely.

55 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Then how do we determine a GM's worth? 

Valid point. Which GM is better- the one who hits on rounds 4-7 and gets all starters out of them but misses on rounds 1-3 or the GM that hits on rounds 1-3 but 4-7 bust out?

31 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Valid point. Which GM is better- the one who hits on rounds 4-7 and gets all starters out of them but misses on rounds 1-3 or the GM that hits on rounds 1-3 but 4-7 bust out?

Hit on 1-3 > hitting on 4-7.  I know it's just a piece of the puzzle, but Whaley's inability to draft a solid QB and then risking much on a WR when he had no viable QB aren't helping him find a job.

1-3 is money, 4-7 is gravy.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Hit on 1-3 > hitting on 4-7.  I know it's just a piece of the puzzle, but Whaley's inability to draft a solid QB and then risking much on a WR when he had no viable QB aren't helping him find a job.

I get it, but, if you get 4 viable starters (4-7) or 3 starters (1-3) wouldn't it be safe to say the GM that hit on 4-7 did better, 4>3?

On the flip side isn't the GM that hits on the expensive picks,1-3, better? I'M SO CONFUSED!

8 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you trying to say that a $9 million guaranteed contract is a " prove it" contract? He is still being paid well and btw he is on a team that a small chance at super bowl next year. Is this what you say about all the guys who take below market to go to the Pat's*?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Then how do we determine a GM's worth? 

I’m pretty certain that the topic was based on the quality of player and you described Sammy as sucking. If you are diverting attention from that, you failed. Judging a player by a GM’s failure is a ridiculous concept. If a crap parent raises a good kid, we don’t consider that kid as crap. The same thing applies to the GM

6 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Of course hitting on 1 through 3 is wanted.

Just want to point out that when you hit on those late round picks you are getting players on EXTREMELY cap friendly contracts.....for a number of years.

Lets say for instance that Darryl Johnson and Tommy Sweeney end up being solid contributers to the team (they both showed flashes) they are basically working for peanuts

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Of course hitting on 1 through 3 is wanted.

Just want to point out that when you hit on those late round picks you are getting players on EXTREMELY cap friendly contracts.....for a number of years.

Lets say for instance that Darryl Johnson and Tommy Sweeney end up being solid contributers to the team (they both showed flashes) they are basically working for peanuts

True, but the question was about judging a GM.  If Allen, Edmunds, Harry, Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox all bust do you think anyone will be saying "but, Beane HAS done a great job, look at Johnson and Sweeney!?"

9 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m pretty certain that the topic was based on the quality of player and you described Sammy as sucking. If you are diverting attention from that, you failed. Judging a player by a GM’s failure is a ridiculous concept. If a crap parent raises a good kid, we don’t consider that kid as crap. The same thing applies to the GM

So, players shouldn't be judged based on their draft position and GMs shouldn't be judged based on their drafts.  Participation trophies for all.  Wonderful.

Watkins was drafted #4.  He has not come close to living up to that potential and based on draft position, he sucks.

Whaley moved up to draft him even though he didn't have a QB to get him the ball, he sucks.

42 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, players shouldn't be judged based on their draft position and GMs shouldn't be judged based on their drafts.  Participation trophies for all.  Wonderful.

Watkins was drafted #4.  He has not come close to living up to that potential and based on draft position, he sucks.

Whaley moved up to draft him even though he didn't have a QB to get him the ball, he sucks.

You mean he sucks relative to his draft position?  Clearly he doesn’t suck if he’s getting 9 mil as @thebandit27 said. 

• Thank you (+1) 1