Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 hour ago, Rhode Island Red said:

I’ll never remember what game, against what team, but I seem to remember Logan Thomas coming from absolutely nowhere at a million miles an hour to lay a block on a defender just before the goal line that absolutely exploded the guy, and sealed the deal on a long Bills TD run. Pretty sure that was his most memorable play here, and don’t remember an equivalent death blow block by any Bill before or since...

I know, a lot of “don’t remembers”, but am I wrong?

I don’t remember.?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

I’ll never remember what game, against what team, but I seem to remember Logan Thomas coming from absolutely nowhere at a million miles an hour to lay a block on a defender just before the goal line that absolutely exploded the guy, and sealed the deal on a long Bills TD run. Pretty sure that was his most memorable play here, and don’t remember an equivalent death blow block by any Bill before or since...

I know, a lot of “don’t remembers”, but am I wrong?

Against Miami on an Ivory dump off.  Was ruled down at the one 

What you guys think about the acquisition of Daryl Williams from the Panthers ?

I’m asking the question because i’m sceptic about him, he allowed 12 sacks last year...he was a second team all pro recently but the stats that i mentioned troubled me.

We just have to hope that he will play at his 2018 level !

1 hour ago, Smitty75 said:

I’m asking the question because i’m sceptic about him, he allowed 12 sacks last year...he was a second team all pro recently but the stats that i mentioned troubled me.

Pretty sure late in 18 Williams had a knee injury.  The main reason why he didnt get a multi year deal last year.  Its low risk high reward if 2019 was due to him recovering from the injury.  

1 hour ago, Smitty75 said:

Last year the Panthers stuck him at LG as he returned from a season-ending knee injury. Maybe he wasnt used to going against DTs inside, or maybe he wasnt used to picking up the inside blitzes. Tough to say since Carolina's Line was a mess across the board.

His first few years, and his banner year in 2017, he was at RT. So we'll see.

I'm more skeptical about the Butler signing and the money we gave him considering he has been a complete bust for Carolina.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Last year the Panthers stuck him at LG as he returned from a season-ending knee injury. Maybe he wasnt used to going against DTs inside, or maybe he wasnt used to picking up the inside blitzes. Tough to say since Carolina's Line was a mess across the board.

That's the key to me.  An OG's effectiveness depends on the efficiency of the OT and C on either side of him.   

The Panthers were playing rookie OTs that surely struggled when thrown right into the fire.    That may have (indeed, most likely) hurt Williams play as well.     With a much more settled OL in Buffalo, playing limited snaps, he may be much more effective...

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

His first few years, and his banner year in 2017, he was at RT. So we'll see.

I'm more skeptical about the Butler signing and the money we gave him considering he has been a complete bust for Carolina.

Butler’s DL coach In Carolina (Eric Washington) is here now and I assume that they would have asked his opinion before signing Butler.  They must see upside or a better scheme fit here to entice them to bring him here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 3/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I know he’s a 4-3 guy, but I thought he was more of a zone coverage guy. But 4-3 is a great move. Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat, Kerrigan and potentially Chase Young? That defensive line is going to be good. 

Del Rio runs man coverage or at least he did in Denver. A lot of pressure on the corners

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So then $15M/year to Dawkins sounds about right (for those that thought it was too high).

I love Dion and I think he is going to be the first real test case for this regime. They spent some good draft capital on a very young, somewhat raw player with really good measurables. They’ve developed him and he has now become a really good left tackle. He’s turning 26 in April, so still very young and has room to grow. These guys talked about building through the draft and keeping their own. I’m interested to see where they value Dion, if they set a number or will they pay market value? 

I am interested to see if they are going to truly be the build and sign long term type of regime, or the let guys go and draft replacements regime like the Pats. What they do with Dion, White, and Milano will tell us a lot. 

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love Dion and I think he is going to be the first real test case for this regime. They spent some good draft capital on a very young, somewhat raw player with really good measurables. They’ve developed him and he has now become a really good left tackle. He’s turning 26 in April, so still very young and has room to grow. These guys talked about building through the draft and keeping their own. I’m interested to see where they value Dion, if they set a number or will they pay market value? 

I am interested to see if they are going to truly be the build and sign long term type of regime, or the let guys go and draft replacements regime like the Pats. What they do with Dion, White, and Milano will tell us a lot. 

Well, we can take some solace in the fact that, no matter what they do, they will have never spent as much draft capital into a left tackle as the Texans did with Tunsil. My hope is that Dion is the guy for years to come. LT is a premier position and a good one is very hard to come by.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they have to make that decision, you let Milano go.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

If they have to make that decision, you let Milano go.

They can definitely sign all three. My point is that Beane and McDermott have done a great job of building a team with little to no long term cap commitments. Now they are going to have to sign some of their own homegrown guys to long term deals after year 4.  How they handle that situation will tell us a lot about the regime. Its like phase three. Phase 1, get rid of old regime garbage, phase 2 build and draft well, phase 3 sign your own and add. 

Milano will be the cheapest of the three. He is awesome for us but a 6 ft 220 pound off ball linebacker is a very scheme specific player and he would only fit a handful of teams. So I think he eventually stays. I don’t think he is that expendable because when he’s been hurt, there is a clear drop off in the defense. But to your point, he would be more replaceable than the other two. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They can definitely sign all three. My point is that Beane and McDermott have done a great job of building a team with little to no long term cap commitments. Now they are going to have to sign some of their own homegrown guys to long term deals after year 4.  How they handle that situation will tell us a lot about the regime. Its like phase three. Phase 1, get rid of old regime garbage, phase 2 build and draft well, phase 3 sign your own and add. 

Milano will be the cheapest of the three. He is awesome for us but a 6 ft 220 pound off ball linebacker is a very scheme specific player and he would only fit a handful of teams. So I think he eventually stays. I don’t think he is that expendable because when he’s been hurt, there is a clear drop off in the defense. But to your point, he would be more replaceable than the other two. 

This season should tell us a lot about who is worth keeping. If they take the next step and win the division, a playoff game or 3, then obviously you do what you have to do to keep as many players around. But if they stumble, then if you’re Beane and McDermott you look at more guys as replaceable. 

• Like (+1) 2