Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jack Del Rio is in control of that defense.

I know he’s a 4-3 guy, but I thought he was more of a zone coverage guy. But 4-3 is a great move. Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat, Kerrigan and potentially Chase Young? That defensive line is going to be good. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

yeah i could not remember if he moved from tackle to guard or guard to tackle. 

The last good right tackle we had was probably Jason Peters before he moved to left tackle. 

What’s ironic here is that Darby was traded out of Buffalo because he was not a good fit for McDermott’s “Ron Rivera” style defense where Josh Norman was the prototype. So Ron Rivera gets the job in Washington, cuts Norman, signs Darby. ?‍♂️

I’m guessing maybe Rivera is going more man? I wonder if he will run a 3-4 like he did in Carolina in 2019. 

Just cus McDermott and Rivera were coaches together doenst mean they run the same defense exactly

McDermott ran the defense when he was DC in Carolina. His scheme made Norman a star . And Darby wasn't a fit for McDermott's defense

Rivera has always ran more of a Tampa 2 defense while McDermott prefers a cover 4 , mixing in cover 3 and 2

And Rivera gonna run a 43

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know he’s a 4-3 guy, but I thought he was more of a zone coverage guy. But 4-3 is a great move. Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat, Kerrigan and potentially Chase Young? That defensive line is going to be good. 

They both are zone guys. Darby should be OK though. He's a physical player that will come up and tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

@MrEpsYtown the one thing that McDermott did take from Rivera which I really like is his less is more philosophy

He doesn't have a 300 page playbook. He has a scaled down playbook which plays to his teams strengths. You don't need 200 exotic schemes and blitzes if you play gap sound , technique sound football

McDermott's scheme is simple. Everybody do your job each play and the defense will be successful

Freelancing hurts the continuity and effectiveness... Which is why I think they were ok with Phillips walking

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, BillsMafi$ said:

#Redskins TE Logan Thomas: 2 years, $6.145M ($2.25M signing bonus)

Logan Thomas quietly getting an ok contract 

It has taken him a while but he is becoming a good tight end.

He was not bad when he was with Bills but they did not have the development space. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He was not bad when he was with Bills but they did not have the development space. 

16 catches for 173 yards in his 4th year as a full time TE is considered a good TE? 

7 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

16 catches for 173 yards in his 4th year as a full time TE is considered a good TE? 

TE like WR is more than just catches.

And it is his third year as TE - first year was QB for Arizona and then switched positions and was not on active roster for two years.

But you probably knew that and disregarded that fact.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I know there's been more discussion of whether Logan Thomas is any good but I wanted to get this in:  it wasn't that long ago (3 years?) that the Bills were desperate to sign anyone who could play the game even a little because they had so many holes.  Now they don't have room to stash and develop guys that other teams actually overpay to recruit.  Hallelujah.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

TE like WR is more than just catches.

And it is his third year as TE - first year was QB for Arizona and then switched positions and was not on active roster for two years.

But you probably knew that and disregarded that fact.

Okay well you can go tell yourself that Logan Thomas is some great TE. By the time he reaches average league standards he’ll ready to retire. 

3 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Kroft has 10 catches for 107 yards in his 4th and 5th years combined (the last 2 years). He made over 8 million dollars in that time and he still has a job.

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Kroft has 10 catches for 107 yards in his 4th and 5th years combined (the last 2 years). He made over 8 million dollars in that time and he still has a job.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They're getting Young....and better :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills fans wanting to move their tackles to guard...a tradition unlike any other.

So freakin true. Can't stand that talk. Fans do NOT know what they are talking about.

19 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Okay well you can go tell yourself that Logan Thomas is some great TE. By the time he reaches average league standards he’ll ready to retire. 

He didn't say he was great, he said he turned out good.  I would agree considering he came into the league as a QB.  Teams in the league agree he's good, if not, he wouldn't keep getting jobs.

I’ll never remember what game, against what team, but I seem to remember Logan Thomas coming from absolutely nowhere at a million miles an hour to lay a block on a defender just before the goal line that absolutely exploded the guy, and sealed the deal on a long Bills TD run. Pretty sure that was his most memorable play here, and don’t remember an equivalent death blow block by any Bill before or since...

I know, a lot of “don’t remembers”, but am I wrong?

Edited by Rhode Island Red

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

He didn't say he was great, he said he turned out good.  I would agree considering he came into the league as a QB.  Teams in the league agree he's good, if not, he wouldn't keep getting jobs.

A lot of TEs come into the league after only playing college basketball and not even playing any college football. So to say after being in the league for 4-5 years, 3-4 as a full time TE, he’s now “good” with his best season being 173 yards receiving is just not true. He’s serviceable at best not good. 

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

You say that like it's a bad thing...

And Kroft 

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

And Kroft was injured most of the year and has a 400+ receiving season to his name. And he was overpaid