Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why would he take that here?

He took it in GB.  Beane was Assistant GM when the Panthers drafted Funchess; McDermott was DC.  Generally speaking, former Panthers who have crossed paths with those guys don't seem to be opposed to coming to Buffalo.  Also, I don't think being a GB WR not named Davante Adams is such a desirable job.  

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Isn’t funchess just not very good

Probably not.  He looked like he was on the rise in year 3, but has been injured & inconsistent in the 2 years since.  As a big bodied WR, it's debatable that he'd be any better than Duke.  I'm not saying I wanted him, but it wouldn't have been a terrible signing for the price.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

He took it in GB.  Beane was Assistant GM when the Panthers drafted Funchess; McDermott was DC.  Generally speaking, former Panthers who have crossed paths with those guys don't seem to be opposed to coming to Buffalo.  Also, I don't think being a GB WR not named Davante Adams is such a desirable job.  

Probably not.  He looked like he was on the rise in year 3, but has been injured & inconsistent in the 2 years since.  As a big bodied WR, it's debatable that he'd be any better than Duke.  I'm not saying I wanted him, but it wouldn't have been a terrible signing for the price.

He isn’t making much so the price would have been right. I’m glad they didn’t though, the Bills should groom a few young guys in that WR room. Use some of the later picks and hope for gold.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

He'd be no more than the 4th target here. Taking a prove it contract in Buffalo would be pointless. 

On 3/27/2020 at 10:02 PM, Motor26 said:

Like Cody Ford last year right? Definitely the BPA last year....

I mean he was BPA or pretty darn close to it. Lets say that Ford becomes a huge bust. He was still BPA on the draft big board. He was thought to be going to the Bengals at 11 before Jonah Williams fell to them. And there was some that mocked Ford to our 2nd first round pick. Regardless he was viewed as a first round talent by most. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He'd be no more than the 4th target here. Taking a prove it contract in Buffalo would be pointless. 

It’d seem like it should tell you something when Beane chooses not to sign someone from Carolina. No? 

12 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean he was BPA or pretty darn close to it. Lets say that Ford becomes a huge bust. He was still BPA on the draft big board. He was thought to be going to the Bengals at 11 before Jonah Williams fell to them. And there was some that mocked Ford to our 2nd first round pick. Regardless he was viewed as a first round talent by most. 

The legend of Cody Ford keeps dropping like a stone in the Stadium Wall echo chamber. Watch the kid end up being a stalwart rock for the next decade anchoring the right side of the Bills O Line. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’d seem like it should tell you something when Beane chooses not to sign someone from Carolina. No? 

The legend of Cody Ford keeps dropping like a stone in the Stadium Wall echo chamber. Watch the kid end up being a stalwart rock for the next decade anchoring the right side of the Bills O Line. 

Its all the same stuff people were saying about Dion Dawkins and now everyone wants to re-sign him. Ford showed enough flashes, he needs a chance to develop just like Dion did. If he doesn’t show progression this year, then you move him to guard. But that’s why Nsehke and Williams are here. They are the fallback options imo. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Regardless of whom is the starter at RT or any of the G positions, we have options. Really solid options and quality depth like we haven't seen on this team in years. Ford is only going into his 2nd season. He is under contract for 3 more years. I have faith in our coaching staff, especially Bobby Johnson, to have figured out where he belongs by then and that he will be a key piece to our OL wherever that may be. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I was just thinking that the other day... we seem to have a progressive line of such cases...

Glenn —> Dawkins —> Ford

Probably because it worked that one time when Mike Gandy moved to guard from LT and Jason Peters took over left tackle. I think Brad Butler made a similar move. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Probably because it worked that one time when Mike Gandy moved to guard from LT and Jason Peters took over left tackle. I think Brad Butler made a similar move. 

Ah yes, Brad Butler. The last truly good RT the Bills had. He retired abruptly to pursue a career in politics, I believe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He had 2 career starts at RT.

Youre right. Was a good RG and moved to RT in his final season, then abruptly retired at 26.

Time does weird things to memory.

So the last good RT the Bills had was...Langston Walker? That can’t be right.

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He had 2 career starts at RT.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Youre right. Was a good RG and moved to RT in his final season, then abruptly retired at 26.

Time does weird things to memory.

So the last good RT the Bills had was...Langston Walker? That can’t be right.

yeah i could not remember if he moved from tackle to guard or guard to tackle. 

The last good right tackle we had was probably Jason Peters before he moved to left tackle. 

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What’s ironic here is that Darby was traded out of Buffalo because he was not a good fit for McDermott’s “Ron Rivera” style defense where Josh Norman was the prototype. So Ron Rivera gets the job in Washington, cuts Norman, signs Darby. ?‍♂️

I’m guessing maybe Rivera is going more man? I wonder if he will run a 3-4 like he did in Carolina in 2019. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Darby and Kendall Fuller both bring better man coverage to the Skins. I guess that we see a shift in Rivera’s philosophy?

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

yeah i could not remember if he moved from tackle to guard or guard to tackle. 

The last good right tackle we had was probably Jason Peters before he moved to left tackle. 

What’s ironic here is that Darby was traded out of Buffalo because he was not a good fit for McDermott’s “Ron Rivera” style defense where Josh Norman was the prototype. So Ron Rivera gets the job in Washington, cuts Norman, signs Darby. ?‍♂️

I’m guessing maybe Rivera is going more man? I wonder if he will run a 3-4 like he did in Carolina in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1