Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Clowney isn't worth 20 million. No way the Bills will spend that much.

Appears no one is giving him 20 million, so he's going to have to accept a lesser amount. Sounds like he is now looking for a short-term deal.

I think he'd do very well in our D. If he's smart, he'd take a fair offer given the current market to play with a contender that will allow him the best opportunity to enhance future earnings. Personally, I hope Beane makes that pitch.

7 hours ago, cle23 said:

I have no clue how a guy who had 3.5 sacks last year wants $20 million. It's insane. Clowney is a good player, but I don't feel he is elite.

He is 100% not worth it you're correct.  The issue is dumb teams like the Giants and Lions paid guys like Olivier Vernon and Trey Flowers astronomical contracts to be average to above average players.  I don't think he will get 20 million a year, but if I were his agent I wouldnt take anything less than the average of those two contracts multiplied by the difference in salary cap.   Given the current salaries he shouldnt settle for anything less than 17.5-18 million a year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, cle23 said:

I have no clue how a guy who had 3.5 sacks last year wants $20 million. It's insane. Clowney is a good player, but I don't feel he is elite.

The Titans just gave Tannehill $127 million for 4 years with $91 almost fully guaranteed. Clowney looks at that and says he is worth 60 million over 3 years. I don't agree with Clowney or giving Tannehill that much but it is out there.

10 hours ago, cle23 said:

Simple. Clowney still sees himself as the "#1 pick Clowney" and not the 2020 version of mediocrity.

Some people have a hard time letting go.?

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Simple. Clowney still sees himself as the "#1 pick Clowney" and not the 2020 version of mediocrity.

Some people have a hard time letting go.?

I will just assume that you didn’t watch much Seahawks football last season. He was a major force when he was on the field. His sack numbers are not telling the whole story. He commanded double teams on most every play. He’s not a $20 million player but he’s nowhere near mediocre 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I will just assume that you didn’t watch much Seahawks football last season. He was a major force when he was on the field. His sack numbers are not telling the whole story. He commanded double teams on most every play. He’s not a $20 million player but he’s nowhere near mediocre 

But but...stats!

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TOboy said:

But but...stats!

Sorry, but "elite" includes sack stats. Very good players can strongly affect the game without racking up numbers, but elite players, who are actually worth 20M+ have to rack up sacks in order to be worth it. Clowney at this point is a very good player whose actual worth is somewhere in the 14-16M/yr range and who will get more than that based on his draft position and reputation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Sorry, but "elite" includes sack stats. Very good players can strongly affect the game without racking up numbers, but elite players, who are actually worth 20M+ have to rack up sacks in order to be worth it. Clowney at this point is a very good player whose actual worth is somewhere in the 14-16M/yr range and who will get more than that based on his draft position and reputation.  

Not sure he is going to get more than that in the current market. Supposedly he turned down 17 from the Phins. That might be the high water mark.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If this is truly the case give me a comparable player; a dominant/elite/major force type DE with 3.5 or less sacks this past season. Lol

Oh and while you are at it see what his salary is. 

?

Edited by MrSarcasm

Just now, MrSarcasm said:

If this is truly the case give me a comparable player; a dominant DE with 3.5 or less sacks this past season.

Oh and while you are at it see what his salary is. 

?

The stat optics are bad, but the game optics are telling a different story. You can choose to believe what you will, but his QB pressure stat is high-end and you would love him if he were on the Bills roster opening day 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The stat optics are bad, but the game optics are telling a different story. You can choose to believe what you will, but his QB pressure stat is high-end and you would love him if he were on the Bills roster opening day 

Okay then... Can you still give me a comparable player?

He is seeking 17+ mil per season, surely you can find a comparable stud or... just maybe... he isn't elite and doesn't warrant anything near 17 million.

Yes I would love him on the Bill's roster opening day but for 12mil or less not 17+.

Edited by MrSarcasm

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He was very good in the post season.  However, to call him a major force when the team ranked 26th in defense is a bit laughable.   

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Clowney is the defensive version of Sammy Watkins.  He has phenomenal natural ability, and has two to three great games a year where fans can point to and say "if he was just in the right situation."   But they are both lacking that gear that makes phenoms into all time greats.

4 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

He is seeking 17+ mil per season, surely you can find a comparable stud or... just maybe... he isn't elite and doesn't warrant anything near 17 million.

Yes I would love him on the Bill's roster opening day but for 12mil or less not 17+.

I can give you lesser players making more than the $12million you are talking about. I can also give you 32 NFL GM’s that would love to have him for $14million if he’d take it. You are quoting one stat as indicative of the players value

15 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Fletcher Cox?

7 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

As a general rule, the best at their respective positions consistently accumulate good numbers. Year in and year out the top of the sack lists are most generally full of the same names. Basically league wide the “elite” rushers consistently get home to the qb. Most any HOF D-lineman heading into the hall since the sack had be a registered stat has huge sack numbers.... at what point does a guy finally need to actually freaking produce to deserve to be talked about, and paid, like the best in the league? 

I seriously can’t ever remember so much hype for a player that has statically produced so little. I’m not even saying stats are the end all-be all. But they’re usually a solid correlation between production and level of play. 

I think clowney is nice player but IMO he’s fairly overrated. At some point you need to produce. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was very good in the post season.  However, to call him a major force when the team ranked 26th in defense is a bit laughable.   

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Clowney is the defensive version of Sammy Watkins.  He has phenomenal natural ability, and has two to three great games a year where fans can point to and say "if he was just in the right situation."   But they are both lacking that gear that makes phenoms into all time greats.

Seattle had a horrific group of DB’s for much of the season. Teams were racking up huge yardage by just putting burners on them. The DT’s, even our guy Jefferson, were not getting any pressure up the middle. We all know that one man does not make a defense.