Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I wonder if the Jets anticipated that and perhaps outbid the Bills.   It will be interesting to see the contract numbers.

Strange, though, that Gregg Williams defense emphasizes man-to-man coverage and Desir is a zone CB...    

Gregg played zone last year (mainly out of necessity, he didn’t have corners to play man )

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gregg played zone last year (mainly out of necessity, he didn’t have corners to play man )

Wow.   Hadn't realized that.   

He must have felt like he had one arm tied behind his back.   Does the Desir signing mean he's doubling down this year?...

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, but they have had the option to extend Brady on a multi-year for the last couple years and chose not to.  They have had some decent QBs through there recently and I don't think BB will go into a season without a functioning QB at his age.  There is a distinct possibility that they just go back to physical football and defense like they did before Brady was Brady.  Knowing the the league has to prepare for teams like KC by getting smaller and quicker, a team that commits to pounding the football right now could have some success.

Brady was part of the equation there, admittedly a big one, but BB is the thing that has made it work.  In the 20 years Brady was their QB that team evolved at least 3 different times to match what the team had and/or to do what BB thought would work to counter what the league was doing.

With what Baltimore is doing I don’t think you’re gonna catch a good team that can’t stop ground and pound. I know it was our “weakness” last year but we still could handle how one dimensional they look like they will be. 

Right now with the current state of travel I suspect the FA spending to be done.  Unable to kick tires on older backs or players with checkered pasts off the field or injury seems like a calculation Mcbeane wont make.  I dont recall many June 1 designated cuts at the start of FA, so the possiblitly of a secondary FA period is very real imo.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just think it is the fall of Rome 

it’s our time

Really wanted the Bills to be apart of Brady and the Pats downfall. Disappointed they never got to win the division with Brady at the helm, which I think they would have done this season. 

For 20 years the Patriots could set game plans and build around the premise they would win the turnover battle.  Brady even early on protected the football. 

Mcdaniels on offense was operating under the terms of being able to solve defensive problems using calculius.  Almost their own language of sorts.  Brady got them into the right play and knew the right throw.  It was taking candy from a baby. Moving forward they are going to meet similar problems armed with addition and subtraction.  Whoever plays Qb not only are they not as good throwing the football as Brady they are waaayyyyyyy behind the mental side. 

The Patriots are stuck in the situation Buffalo was when Kelly retired.  They are armed with a good defense.  The weapons on offense are aged.  The holes and mistakes the organization have made over the last 20 years will apear when they dont have the Qb covering everything up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

For 20 years the Patriots could set game plans and build around the premise they would win the turnover battle.  Brady even early on protected the football. 

Mcdaniels on offense was operating under the terms of being able to solve defensive problems using calculius.  Almost their own language of sorts.  Brady got them into the right play and knew the right throw.  It was taking candy from a baby. Moving forward they are going to meet similar problems armed with addition and subtraction.  Whoever plays Qb not only are they not as good throwing the football as Brady they are waaayyyyyyy behind the mental side. 

The Patriots are stuck in the situation Buffalo was when Kelly retired.  They are armed with a good defense.  The weapons on offense are aged.  The holes and mistakes the organization have made over the last 20 years will apear when they dont have the Qb covering everything up.

Totally agree with you, but the biggest difference, unfortunately, is that they won six championships. So if they have a little dip, it’s no big deal. I do hope they wind up in qb purgatory for the next 20 years also, but somehow I think Belichick will figure it out. All that aside, our team is bow equipped to beat those guys anyways, even if they figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Totally agree with you, but the biggest difference, unfortunately, is that they won six championships. So if they have a little dip, it’s no big deal. I do hope they wind up in qb purgatory for the next 20 years also, but somehow I think Belichick will figure it out. All that aside, our team is bow equipped to beat those guys anyways, even if they figure it out. 

I dont see it.  This isnt 08.  NE doesnt have the best roster in the NFL.  They will be haunted by getting cheap with Brady.  25 mil a year?  NE couldnt do better?  Very bizarre...  I think Bill and Mcdaniels are feeling themsevles too much.  Very arogent letting the Goat walk with noting but career backups and a day 3 Qb on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I dont see it.  This isnt 08.  NE doesnt have the best roster in the NFL.  They will be haunted by getting cheap with Brady.  25 mil a year?  NE couldnt do better?  Very bizarre...  I think Bill and Mcdaniels are feeling themsevles too much.  Very arogent letting the Goat walk with noting but career backups and a day 3 Qb on the roster.

Considering Brady structured his contract to have the out he took this year I don't think there was much the Pats* were going to do about him leaving. Maybe he was tired of the A Hernandez/Kraft massages/cheating narratives over the years? Don't know, but it seemed like Brady was not interested in coming back.

Also like to add the Antonio Brown thing, have to assume Kraft didn't want AB due to Kraft's massage girl problem even though Brady seems to have wanted him.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Side note on PJ Walker to the Panthers thing, I 100% think that this could make Kyle Allen available. Walker is Matt Rhule’s guy and I’m guessing he is being brought in to compete with Allen behind Bridgewater. 

The reason I bring it up is that Kyle Allen would be the absolute best pick to be Josh Allen’s backup. They are close, and they train all offseason together with Jordan Palmer. I’m sure Allen would like a chance to start again somewhere, but not sure he will get it. Anyway, the guy has some upside and got a good amount experience last year. Hypothetical, I know, but the perfect fit imo. 

• Like (+1) 5

that Yup   Brian Hoyer.   my bad 

my brain put the P for Patriots to start the name Hoyer 

Tom Brady had interest in Colts, but Colts didn’t have interest in Brady

Apart from the fact that the Colts were looking for a one-year bridge quarterback (which is significant), the Colts may have wondered whether Brady’s interest was legitimate — or whether he was hoping that the Colts would do just enough to get the Patriots to wake up. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

43 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Side note on PJ Walker to the Panthers thing, I 100% think that this could make Kyle Allen available. Walker is Matt Rhule’s guy and I’m guessing he is being brought in to compete with Allen behind Bridgewater. 

The reason I bring it up is that Kyle Allen would be the absolute best pick to be Josh Allen’s backup. They are close, and they train all offseason together with Jordan Palmer. I’m sure Allen would like a chance to start again somewhere, but not sure he will get it. Anyway, the guy has some upside and got a good amount experience last year. Hypothetical, I know, but the perfect fit imo. 

They also just drafted Grier last year too. They have like 5 quarterbacks right now until they do something with newton 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Per PFT, the Falcons now have 11 first-round picks listed as starters on offense - that’s amazing.

Ooh...let me see if I can name them all without looking:

Ryan

Gurley

Julio

Ridley

Hurst

Matthews

Carpenter

Mack

Lindsrom

McGary

?, that’s only 10...who would be the 11th? A second TE? Think Bandit, think! 

Gah...ok I give up, who’s #11?

I'm just shocked that the NFL draft will be forced to focus solely on prospective players and the NFL teams they may play for!  Whatever will Vegas do with the fountains that were programmed to spell out NFL; is there some relief for the gondoliers hired to ferry draft picks to the podium; will there be no opportunities to see proud fathers and weeping mothers; what if Commissioner Goodell can't even give a welcoming hug to the newly selected players.

Oh, the shame of it.....

Edited by Keukasmallies
fixed