Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

46 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This is why it's ridiculous when people claim the "salary cap doesn't matter" and you only need to be creative with structuring contracts.

Once everyone is seeking a huge contract, you can't keep them all.

The Titans made the decision to pay Ryan Tannehill and franchise Derrick Henry, and just didn't have the money to keep Casey on the books.

In my opinion, they made the wrong decision.  They should have franchised Tannehill to see if he could replicate last season, let Henry walk and kept Casey.  But what do I know?

They also lost RT Conklin to free agency.

58 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I hear you.  It is definitely a risk going into the season with Cody Ford at Right Tackle.

But at some point, you need to let your high draft picks play, work out the kinks and hopefully step forward.

Going into last season, there were lots of Bills fans concerned about Middle Linebacker.  But Tremaine Edmunds took a significant step in his development, and the position is now considered one of our strengths.

It's one thing to have a fallback option (which I believe Ty Nsekhe and possibly another veteran free agent will end up being).  But once we re-signed Quinton Spain, it was highly unlikely we were going to throw big bucks at one of the RTs on the market.

At some point you have to trust a young player to develop, esp one that improved as the season went on (like Ford in 2019 and Edumonds in 2018.) I think Ford is going to surprise a lot of people on here with how well he plays in 2020. I am personally more concerned about depth at WR and TE along with depth in the secondary along with finding a power RB.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

At some point you have to trust a young player to develop, esp one that improved as the season went on (like Ford in 2019 and Edumonds in 2018.) I think Ford is going to surprise a lot of people on here with how well he plays in 2020. I am personally more concerned about depth at WR and TE along with depth in the secondary along with finding a power RB.

I would like to draft an OT to compete with Ford at RT...I think it would be a disservice to the team not to do so....

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I would like to draft an OT to compete with Ford at RT...I think it would be a disservice to the team not to do so....

They have Ty to compete with him, this notion they are handing him the position is odd to me. I wouldn't mind seeing a tackle draft in the late to mid rounds for depth/development. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

They have Ty to compete with him, this notion they are handing him the position is odd to me. I wouldn't mind seeing a tackle draft in the late to mid rounds for depth/development. 

To me, any additions at this point is either, 1. a huge upgrade and cost at a premier position or 2. strictly for second / third level depth. In other words, I don't think they're signing anybody at this point who is a "starter" on the 22 that is just a "solid" player, ala Klein or Jefferson. I would prefer to see a guy like Chris Harris to play in their Nickel coverage, b/c with him, Norman and White along with Wallace and T. Johnson, that's as good a CB group as you can find in the NFL. But, given the Draft and other areas of depth, I don't know if Harris is a possibility given where the team is in terms of Cap Space. 

I would like to see chris harris but I just dont think we have cap space available for future investments in josh, edmonds, white...we are gunna have to save some of this for them, but in win now mode I can see a 2 yr, 28mil dollar with 14mil guarantee for harris...would be a wish

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Wow.  At what point do we start putting Truisky on the all time bust list?   Considering where they drafted him, what they gave up in draft capital and the available options in that draft, this is one of the more colossal disasters in recent history.

The Chicago QB curse lives on.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Wow.  At what point do we start putting Truisky on the all time bust list?   Considering where they drafted him, what they gave up in draft capital and the available options in that draft, this is one of the more colossal disasters in recent history.

The Chicago QB curse lives on.

Not even a curse honestly, Trubisky was one and done as a starter in college in qb friendly system. Just a hyped up college kid

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

They can cut Trent Murphy and Lee Smith right now and take on what would be half of the contract.

A 2021 2nd round pick. If Jacksonville wants more, forget it, because the Bills can't take on his contract AND give a lot of draft picks.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

This is why it's They should have franchised Tannehill to see if he could replicate last season, let Henry walk and kept Casey.  But what do I know?

Letting Henry walk was never an option.  That's their entire team's identity.

• Like (+1) 1