Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not much out there if you really want a true starter, maybe a Cordy Glenn reunion or Darryl Williams. Those guys are going to want to go where they can start. But there are some depth swing guys like Joe Haeg, LaRaven Clark, Germaine Ifedi, James Hurst...those guys are pretty versatile and give you some functional depth. Haeg and Clark are former Colts as well. Plus Waddle is available as well. 

I think they let Ford develop and give him another year. He had ups and downs, a lot of downs, but he flashed. You don’t move him inside until he proves he can’t play tackle, and he is not there yet. Plus Nsehke is the ultimate insurance policy.

I agree.

Bulaga and Glasgow were the guys I was interested in and was just surprised at the reasonable deals they signed.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

T Brian Bulaga signed for just 10 per and G Graham Glasgow for 11 per, They were top 3 free agents at their positions and I really wish the Bills were in on that. A lot of people seem okay with putting the same line out there as last year. I thought the unit was below average and was hoping a stud guard and/or rt were going to be Bills targets.

Counting on Ford to make a big leap and the unit to improve significantly based on continuity is a risk. The money they gave to underforming Butler would have gotten one of these guys. Who knows, maybe they tried. It just seems that their focus has been on the d line more than the o line.

Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are doing a good job. I'm just concerned the line won't be good enough.

We need more defensive tackles.?

Well, if a quality RT falls to us at 54, say Prince Tega Wanogho I could see us drafting him and sliding Ford inside. I want Taylor or Dobbins but they’ll likely be gone. Probably be DE or RT there.

10 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Seems to be prohibited at this time

Tom Pelliseiro reported this yesterday.  There's a hold on players traveling to team facilities as well as team officials traveling to players.  No physicals being conducted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm thrilled his market is soft. We still probably won't even wade into those shallower waters though I'd expect

I think Gordon is going to find out the same thing.  He is going to end up with a lot less money than what he expected.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well, if a quality RT falls to us at 54, say Prince Tega Wanogho I could see us drafting him and sliding Ford inside. I want Taylor or Dobbins but they’ll likely be gone. Probably be DE or RT there.

Where would Ford slide inside to? Is he a better guard than Spain or Feliciano? Ford was a 2nd round OT last year. I think if you draft another OT in the 2nd round you may get someone exactly like Ford. 

5 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Where would Ford slide inside to? Is he a better guard than Spain or Feliciano? Ford was a 2nd round OT last year. I think if you draft another OT in the 2nd round you may get someone exactly like Ford. 

Agree 100%, although I'd say "theoretically" Ford has more upside than both Spain and JF at guard. We must also remember: OL typically make a big jump from year 1 to 2, and this is more true than ever today esp with the style of the current college game.

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I don’t think so. There was a run on tackles last year and Ford was one of the last ones off the board. Prince Tega Wanogho would be incredible if available. Ford goes to RG, JF backs up all three interior positions.

I’m not against starting Ford at RT neither, so long as he earns it in camp. He’s a mauler and has value as a road grader.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

T Brian Bulaga signed for just 10 per and G Graham Glasgow for 11 per, They were top 3 free agents at their positions and I really wish the Bills were in on that. A lot of people seem okay with putting the same line out there as last year. I thought the unit was below average and was hoping a stud guard and/or rt were going to be Bills targets.

Counting on Ford to make a big leap and the unit to improve significantly based on continuity is a risk. The money they gave to underforming Butler would have gotten one of these guys. Who knows, maybe they tried. It just seems that their focus has been on the d line more than the o line.

Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are doing a good job. I'm just concerned the line won't be good enough.

I hear you.  It is definitely a risk going into the season with Cody Ford at Right Tackle.

But at some point, you need to let your high draft picks play, work out the kinks and hopefully step forward.

Going into last season, there were lots of Bills fans concerned about Middle Linebacker.  But Tremaine Edmunds took a significant step in his development, and the position is now considered one of our strengths.

It's one thing to have a fallback option (which I believe Ty Nsekhe and possibly another veteran free agent will end up being).  But once we re-signed Quinton Spain, it was highly unlikely we were going to throw big bucks at one of the RTs on the market.

27 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Or you may get someone like Dawkins. Not too bad ay?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The Titans trade Jurrell Casey??? WTF!!! He is the best player on their defense year in and year out. Man I hate that team and their personnel decisions. 

This is why it's ridiculous when people claim the "salary cap doesn't matter" and you only need to be creative with structuring contracts.

Once everyone is seeking a huge contract, you can't keep them all.

The Titans made the decision to pay Ryan Tannehill and franchise Derrick Henry, and just didn't have the money to keep Casey on the books.

In my opinion, they made the wrong decision.  They should have franchised Tannehill to see if he could replicate last season, let Henry walk and kept Casey.  But what do I know?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This is why it's ridiculous when people claim the "salary cap doesn't matter" and you only need to be creative with structuring contracts.

Once everyone is seeking a huge contract, you can't keep them all.

The Titans made the decision to pay Ryan Tannehill and franchise Derrick Henry, and just didn't have the money to keep Casey on the books.

In my opinion, they made the wrong decision.  They should have franchised Tannehill to see if he could replicate last season, let Henry walk and kept Casey.  But what do I know?

Even with everything they have and signing tannehill I thought they had plenty of money left to extend henry and keep everyone. They already cut lewis, walker and wake freeing up lots of cap. I can’t justify any reasoning to give Casey away for nothing. Him and Henry are the only reasons I watch the titans. My kinda gritty players 

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Even with everything they have and signing tannehill I thought they had plenty of money left to extend henry and keep everyone. They already cut lewis, walker and wake freeing up lots of cap. I can’t justify any reasoning to give Casey away for nothing. Him and Henry are the only reasons I watch the titans. My kinda gritty players 

Maybe another move coming? 

Or...they LOVE Simmons, who plays a similar role and doesn't make that type of coin. I'm honestly not sure if they're still running a 3-4 or a 4-3. If they were switching to a 4-3, Simmons would make Casey redundant. 

2 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Maybe another move coming? 

Or...they LOVE Simmons, who plays a similar role and doesn't make that type of coin. I'm honestly not sure if they're still running a 3-4 or a 4-3. If they were switching to a 4-3, Simmons would make Casey redundant. 

I just find it weird. Partly cause I’m in Tennessee and he was one of my favorite players. Partly cause I’ll never watch him on Denver unless he’s playing Buffalo or one of the teams I follow. And I thought he was the heart and soul of that defense. I find this as shocking as Hopkins as far as the value they provided their teams. Craziest offseason I have ever seen across the board