Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Anyone heard a word about Breshad Perriman?  All I can find are blogs from assorted fan sites saying team X should sign him.  

Just thought about him the other day.  Wondering if Tampa could be an option now with Brady but definitely someone that I was hoping the Bills would look into.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Anyone heard a word about Breshad Perriman?  All I can find are blogs from assorted fan sites saying team X should sign him.  

I think teams are scared to give him guaranteed money. He had a mini breakout last season, but flamed out in other places and was available on waivers twice this past season. I like the player and he’s got some impressive upside, but where do you place his value? Teams keep getting burned on the Paul Richardson, Dobte Moncreif, Allen Hurns upside play and I think they are scared to do the same with Perriman. 

40 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They currently have 4 tackles with starting experience under contract in Dawkins/Nsekhe/Ford/Waddle. Definitely see RB and safety as needs, as well as a CB.

Really hoping that they have a backup QB in mind to draft.

Unfortunately, the Waddle news wasn't real.  He's still UFA

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo noted Wednesday that Clowney hasn't found the market he expected. The Seahawks' offer could be the best he'll get, Garafolo added.

Seattle has insisted it's wanted Clowney back but wasn't going to hit the stratosphere with the offer for the edge rusher.

The pass-rusher market mostly got wiped out by the franchise tag, leaving Clowney as the top prize in free agency. After the Colts gave up a premium first-round pick and a $21 million per-year deal for DeForest Buckner (who, to be fair, would have ranked higher than Clowney had he been a free agent), one would have expected Clowney's market to explode.

The Giants and Colts have been reported to be interested, but both already added pass rushers. Either could circle back, and there are several other teams who could use a pocket-pusher like Clowney, but his market could be smaller due to questions about health.

When healthy, Clowney can be a menace off the edge. He's brilliant against the run, and bullies tackles. Sure, his sack numbers might be lower than you'd expect for a top-of-the-line rusher, but he proved in Seattle last season he can disrupt a game and batter a QB.

Health could be playing a role in keeping Clowney's market from skyrocketing to where he expected. While he's overcome the early-career injury issues, he missed two games and battled through a core injury last season.

The NFL's current directive and restrictions on conducting physicals could be a big reason teams might be skittish on paying a truckload for Clowney without having their own medical personnel take a look.

While other defenders get their bag, Clowney might have to take a more patient approach if he wants to finally get that massive payday he's been seeking.

• Like (+1) 1

Jets seem to be taking a very judicious approach to FA after making it rain on a LB and RB last year.  So far, they've kind of done what we did with our OL last year, just with worse players.... re-upped G Alex Lewis and signed C McGovern and OT Fant.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Jets seem to be taking a very judicious approach to FA after making it rain on a LB and RB last year.  So far, they've kind of done what we did with our OL last year, just with worse players.... re-upped G Alex Lewis and signed C McGovern and OT Fant.

Star had 2 sacks all of last year and one was beating McGovern ?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

They swung for the fences and missed on most of the key guys they were initially after. The NJ Jets are going to be a hard sell to anyone as long as Gase is HC after the way they treated players last season, the locker room unrest, the trade deadline fiasco, and the way they handled players with injuries (fines and telling them to put off surgeries). I'm good with that. I hope they re-up Gase for another 5 years. :lol:

• Like (+1) 5

T Brian Bulaga signed for just 10 per and G Graham Glasgow for 11 per, They were top 3 free agents at their positions and I really wish the Bills were in on that. A lot of people seem okay with putting the same line out there as last year. I thought the unit was below average and was hoping a stud guard and/or rt were going to be Bills targets.

Counting on Ford to make a big leap and the unit to improve significantly based on continuity is a risk. The money they gave to underforming Butler would have gotten one of these guys. Who knows, maybe they tried. It just seems that their focus has been on the d line more than the o line.

Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are doing a good job. I'm just concerned the line won't be good enough.

15 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm thrilled his market is soft. We still probably won't even wade into those shallower waters though I'd expect

We need more defensive tackles.?

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm thrilled his market is soft. We still probably won't even wade into those shallower waters though I'd expect

I think it’s because teams want their own medical info on him. They can do deals pending physicals but since no one knows when that would be lifted it would be a lot of pending $ tied up while you wait 

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

T Brian Bulaga signed for just 10 per and G Graham Glasgow for 11 per, They were top 3 free agents at their positions and I really wish the Bills were in on that. A lot of people seem okay with putting the same line out there as last year. I thought the unit was below average and was hoping a stud guard and/or rt were going to be Bills targets.

Counting on Ford to make a big leap and the unit to improve significantly based on continuity is a risk. The money they gave to underforming Butler would have gotten one of these guys. Who knows, maybe they tried. It just seems that their focus has been on the d line more than the o line.

Don't get me wrong, I think these guys are doing a good job. I'm just concerned the line won't be good enough.

We need more defensive tackles.?

Not much out there if you really want a true starter, maybe a Cordy Glenn reunion or Darryl Williams. Those guys are going to want to go where they can start. But there are some depth swing guys like Joe Haeg, LaRaven Clark, Germaine Ifedi, James Hurst...those guys are pretty versatile and give you some functional depth. Haeg and Clark are former Colts as well. Plus Waddle is available as well. 

I think they let Ford develop and give him another year. He had ups and downs, a lot of downs, but he flashed. You don’t move him inside until he proves he can’t play tackle, and he is not there yet. Plus Nsehke is the ultimate insurance policy.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s because teams want their own medical info on him. They can do deals pending physicals but since no one knows when that would be lifted it would be a lot of pending $ tied up while you wait 

True, considering he was dealing with a core muscle issue last year, but I don't know that we'd be offering him the kind of money he's expecting even if everything checked out. 

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Are teams allowed to fly to players and give them a physical? Or is that prohibited as well?