Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

ETUAElHWkAQVGam?format=jpg&name=medium

Bruce Dickinson 'Son of a Gun' lyrics:

He loaded bullets as he smiled.
Congregation sat and wondered.
Would they live or would they die.
Just an ordinary man, with his orders and his plans.

Just too appropriate

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane if you're listening, get Clowney.

Don't think they can if they wanted to.  They have to extend White, Dawkins, Milano, eventually extend Edmunds and Allen too; the thing no one mentions is that Diggs will eventually get a raise sooner than later if he plays like himself.  Paying him what he's due to make won't fly.

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Don't think they can if they wanted to.  They have to extend White, Dawkins, Milano, eventually extend Edmunds and Allen too; the thing no one mentions is that Diggs will eventually get a raise sooner than later if he plays like himself.  Paying him what he's due to make won't fly.

On diggs, new cba makes it much more difficult for players to hold out if they are on their second contract or beyond. Fines cannot be waived and season will not accrue towards FA. Going to see much less of that type of behaviour going forward.

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

They can. They have to cut Murphy. Then 2021 is Hughes last year. So the money works. They'd have to draft some younger de's.

8 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I find it interesting that Vernon Butler and Quinton Jefferson signed at the same time pretty much. 

Last year Beasley and Brown signed at the same time. If I recall correctly, Beane said something like he wanted them both at the same time so the signing of one of them wouldn’t scare off the other one. 

He must have done the same thing here with the DTs and speaks to the organization level that he executes things at. 

I thought that too - probably had joe Schoen or dan Morgan work one deal and he did the other 

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Weird to see the Bills top 10 in Super Bowl odds.

it's been a while, 25 years ???

12 hours ago, Logic said:

LOVING it? Really?

It's good that they're adding o-line pieces, but I'm not sure how GOOD the o-line pieces they're adding are. And don't they need some more offensive weaponry?

If I was a Jets fan,  I would be somewhere between mildly encouraged and downright annoyed. Look at what the Bills and Browns have put around Allen and Mayfield, respectively, and then look at what the Jets have put around Darnold. They need to get that boy some HELP!

Well, we need Jimmy Spags to check in and give us the real lowdown. Jimmy, where are you????

I would still expect the Bills to add the following positions via free agency:

- Veteran RB to replace Frank Gore

- Swing Tackle to provide insurance behind Cody Ford

- Cornerback with both outside and inside versatility

- Safety depth

And Bills fans, that pretty much encompasses the remaining needs we have across the roster.  Take care of those spots, and the Bills are free to go BPA at pretty much every slot in the draft.  It's a beautiful thing.

26 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

- Safety depth

And Bills fans, that pretty much encompasses the remaining needs we have across the roster.  Take care of those spots, and the Bills are free to go BPA at pretty much every slot in the draft.  It's a beautiful thing.

If they can accomplish that and extend Dawkins, Milano and White, it will be outstanding!

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

- Safety depth

good list, seen conflicting reports on waddle, has been brought back or not? he would obviously address the swing tackle need and would be very affordable coming off the injury. marlowe is the default at safety, again very affordable and clearly knows the system. RB depth in the FA pool is questionable, they probably want a vet in the room but is that just yeldon and they add another body in the draft?

only other one i'd add to the list is a size WR - clearly they have upgrade immensely at WR with the addition of diggs as a true #1 but that doesn't bring in the redzone size threat i think is still needed, be it free agency or draft. would love to see demarcus robinson get a look, untapped potential there but he might want to go somewhere with more opportunity with the top 3 depth chart spots locked up in BUF. 

28 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

- Safety depth

Devonte Freeman

LaAdrian Waddle

Ross Cockrell or Kevin Johnson

No idea about safety... 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

- Safety depth

I think we also need LB depth. 

47 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

- Safety depth

They currently have 4 tackles with starting experience under contract in Dawkins/Nsekhe/Ford/Waddle. Definitely see RB and safety as needs, as well as a CB.

Really hoping that they have a backup QB in mind to draft.

29 minutes ago, d_wag said:

good list, seen conflicting reports on waddle, has been brought back or not? he would obviously address the swing tackle need and would be very affordable coming off the injury. marlowe is the default at safety, again very affordable and clearly knows the system. RB depth in the FA pool is questionable, they probably want a vet in the room but is that just yeldon and they add another body in the draft?

only other one i'd add to the list is a size WR - clearly they have upgrade immensely at WR with the addition of diggs as a true #1 but that doesn't bring in the redzone size threat i think is still needed, be it free agency or draft. would love to see demarcus robinson get a look, untapped potential there but he might want to go somewhere with more opportunity with the top 3 depth chart spots locked up in BUF. 

Waddle hasn't re-signed yet, but I could definitely see them bringing him back.  Should come pretty cheap.  

They still have Nsekhe as depth, and he can play both sides.  So they could wait until the draft to bring in another guy.

Extending Poyer is great, and means they just need depth at the safety position.

Siran Neal is pretty much set as the "big nickel" spot.  They really like Jaquan Johnson. 

Marlowe and Coleman are free agents, and I'm not sure either guy comes back, so these are the guys we are seeking to replace.

Knowing the way this team operates, they definitely want a veteran voice in each unit.  I fully expect them to add another RB in the next couple days, but it may not be someone who gets a ton of carries.  I think they prioritize this position in the draft, between the 2nd-4th Rounds.

I really don't see them adding another veteran WR, unless it's someone deep on the back-end at the league minimum.  Odds are very high that a really nice WR prospect will fall into their laps on draft day, and they simply don't have the room on the roster to keep everyone.  

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think we also need LB depth. 

It couldn't hurt to add another guy.  But like safety, I don't see them adding anyone much higher than league minimum.

The primary spots (Milano, Edmunds) are set in stone.  

AJ Klein has plenty of starting experience, and they really like Vosean Joseph (who was on IR all of last season).

Tyler Matakevich fills the special teams aspect they like out of backup linebackers.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1