Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

@YoloinOhio

Just a suggestion, but would be great if you would update the first post in this thread to make it a running summary of signings/trades across the league.   

I wish I had time but too late now to gather all that. Though if someone wants to put together all the signings as of now I will copy and paste into the OP and take it from there 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

This is what we needed the previous two years... this isnt the time for that. We need superstars now round out the team. Our window to win is opening. We dont have nearly as many holes as we used to. We have a ton of cap space... this is year to bring us to the next level.

I would disagree with the general premise.  In my opinion it's better to have a deep roster full of good players, rather than a team with several big holes and a couple so-called superstars.  Outside of QB, one player RARELY puts you over the top.

But even if your argument is true, what game-changing superstars are we missing out on?  Jadeveon Clowney?  Austin Hooper?  Jack Conklin?  These guys are nice players, but hardly superstars.  True superstars rarely hit free agency.  If you want superstars on the team, you usually need to draft them or trade heavily for them (Arizona and DeAndre Hopkins notwithstanding, ugh).

Sometimes it's nice to make a big splash (see last year with Mitch Morse), but generally speaking the best value comes in the 2nd-3rd wave of free agency.  This is where Beane generally makes his mark, and it's where most of us were expecting him to attack this year again.  His best signings last year were arguably John Brown and Jon Feliciano, and both were guys not highly sought after on Day 1 of free agency.  With the progress Beane has made so far on the roster, he's earned a little bit of trust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DJB said:

Beane said he wasn't grabbing guys from the "deep end"

I figure we will be involved in the 2nd waive of talented players

You got that right. Looks like he's hanging out by the kiddie pool. 

If we were one or two players away it would be a lot more peaceful around here, but we're not. We are in BIG NEED of a WR, RT and Edge Rusher. 

I understand the need to maintain cap integrity for future contracts, but that's in the future. Tre is the only player I consider a "must sign" player. Not Milano, not Dawkins. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

We can hang the “Plenty of cap space” banner in place of that Lombardi trophy 

Maybe they will be cutting all Bills fans checks out of the money not spent. On the other hand, Pegula is already losing sleep over possibly paying any hourly workers that could be out of work right now...

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I would disagree with the general premise.  In my opinion it's better to have a deep roster full of good players, rather than a team with several big holes and a couple so-called superstars.  Outside of QB, one player RARELY puts you over the top.

But even if your argument is true, what game-changing superstars are we missing out on?  Jadeveon Clowney?  Austin Hooper?  Jack Conklin?  These guys are nice players, but hardly superstars.  True superstars rarely hit free agency.  If you want superstars on the team, you usually need to draft them or trade heavily for them (Arizona and DeAndre Hopkins notwithstanding, ugh).

Sometimes it's nice to make a big splash (see last year with Mitch Morse), but generally speaking the best value comes in the 2nd-3rd wave of free agency.  This is where Beane generally makes his mark, and it's where most of us were expecting him to attack this year again.  His best signings last year were arguably John Brown and Jon Feliciano, and both were guys not highly sought after on Day 1 of free agency.  With the progress Beane has made so far on the roster, he's earned a little bit of trust.

Hooper, Conklin and Hopkins make this team a super bowl contender. Draft a WR and Edge rusher. Still room to sign a R Quinn type player or other rusher as well. 

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Well yeah normally i agree. But we dont have many holes... in fact we probably will have a solid starter at each position. Our biggest needs are pass rusher and WR which we have have Trent Murphy and Hughes at the very least are solid DEs. And at WR we still have Brown and Beasley. We have solid players already its time to upgrade rather than fill holes.

The one true hole on this team is one left by Lorenzo... so we should go spend money for a guy like Littleton or Kyle Van Noy.