Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Makes me sad.

I dont understand at all how a 5th round pick can net you one of the best DL in the NFL. 

You can basically trade for studs using mid round picks it's crazy and so different from NBA and NHL

Just now, DJB said:

I dont understand at all how a 5th round pick can net you one of the best DL in the NFL. 

You can basically trade for studs using mid round picks it's crazy and so different from NBA and NHL

15 millions of reasons. Baltimore will take all salary and Jax nothing

14 minutes ago, poblano said:

15 millions of reasons. Baltimore will take all salary and Jax nothing

And another team wouldn't offer a better pick to do the same?

NFL trades are baffling to me

6 minutes ago, DJB said:

And another team wouldn't offer a better pick to do the same?

NFL trades are baffling to me

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think McBeane are extremely conservative with draft picks..... it’s very annoying and frustrating, especially a 5th for one of the better ends in football.

It's not just about the draft pick and the player. It's about the contract extension that it's going to take to KEEP the player. We're talking in the neighborhood of $15million/year. I'm glad the Bills aren't committing that to a 34-year old player that had as many sacks as Shaq Lawson last year.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's not just about the draft pick and the player. It's about the contract extension that it's going to take to KEEP the player. We're talking in the neighborhood of $15million/year. I'm glad the Bills aren't committing that to a 34-year old player that had as many sacks as Shaq Lawson last year.

Yes his age is a concern but he is elite. Shaq is not. 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Yes his age is a concern but he is elite. Shaq is not. 

Yeah.

The age thing doesn't really bother me, but the age thing COMBINED with the money he'll likely command does.

If the Bills are planning to invest $15million/year in a defensive end, I hope they go with one who won't be turning 35 mid-season. The Bills are a young team, and should build their roster with not just the present, but the future in mind.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

The age thing doesn't really bother me, but the age thing COMBINED with the money he'll likely command does.

If the Bills are planning to invest $15million/year in a defensive end, I hope they go with one who won't be turning 35 mid-season. The Bills are a young team, and should build their roster with not just the present, but the future in mind.

Let's wait to see the length of the deal it will be interesting.

But I never suggested that Beane should have paid a 5th for Campbell. Was merely pointing out you can buy elite players for mid round picks seems really cheap

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Just saw someone say that with the CBA approved, we’ll starting seeing a lot of news that is normally spaced out leading to FA... bring it on!

There was only 2 trades this year before the CBA vote.  Usually there is 10-15 by now.

Going to be busy for the FO's in the next week!

50 minutes ago, DJB said:

Nah. @MJS assured me that you can’t get starters for mid-round picks ?

Just having fun MJS ?

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

I thought it was too soon for Reed to be a F/A.  He would be a great signing for someone... 

Same draft as Shaq, and was rumored to be a possible Bills pick at the time.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Nah. @MJS assured me that you can’t get starters for mid-round picks ?

Just having fun MJS ?

It might be because, unlike those other sports, by the time you're recognized as one of the best at your position in the NFL... you're also almost done.  Twenty-eight year-olds are seen much as hockey and basketball Executives look at thirty-five year-olds. Football is a brutal game.