Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think there’s a very good chance that they draft a pass rusher early regardless of what they do in FA; ditto for WR and RB.

At this point I fully expect Beane to maneuver for 3 day-3 picks to stock the roster with fresh talent at WR, EDGE, RB, and CB.

Yeah, I don’t see a lot of those late picks being used. They just don’t have the roster spots. He’s coming up a few times. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I don’t see a lot of those late picks being used. They just don’t have the roster spots. He’s coming up a few times. 

I am not so self-aggrandizing to believe that Beane and I have the same board, but if he’s like me and has 20-22 true first-round grades, he’ll either move up or back in round 1. If it’s back, and he picks up, say, a 3rd for going to 27-30, then I definitely see a few trade-ups in store.

I know people will kill him for it in a WR-heavy year, but man I’d love to get CeeDee Lamb.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I am not so self-aggrandizing to believe that Beane and I have the same board, but if he’s like me and has 20-22 true first-round grades, he’ll either move up or back in round 1. If it’s back, and he picks up, say, a 3rd for going to 27-30, then I definitely see a few trade-ups in store.

I know people will kill him for it in a WR-heavy year, but man I’d love to get CeeDee Lamb.

I’m not opposed (at all) to going up or back. I’d only go up though for one of the top 3 receivers I think. Otherwise it will have to be someone on a crazy slide, Okudah at 14 or something like that. If you can get one of the elite talents at a need position without sacrificing too much. 

I’m good going back a few slots too in order to pick up a 3rd or even move up there. The Bills could do something like move from 22 to 26 and then up from 86 to 70. In this scenario they’d pick 26, 54 and 70. You could do something like Higgins/Jefferson, Swift/Taylor/Dobbins and Greenard/Anae. 

• Like (+1) 5

If I'm moving up, it's got to be for an elite talent. Either Lamb or Jeudy at WR, or if by some craziness Simmons or Okudah drops out of the top 10. I don't think I'd give up what it would cost to grab Ruggs. I don't dislike the player, but I see a clear seperation between the top 2 WR's and the rest of the bunch. Ruggs at 22 would be great though. 

Otherwise, I'm happy to trade back a few spots and pick up some more draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm with you, I would love for them to move up to get CeeDee Lamb. The guy can catch everything and gains good YAC.

13 hours ago, Smitty75 said:

I hope that we will find a way to retain Lawson at a reasonable price !

Or maybe we could put the franchise tag on him, because i feel like we didn't see his full potential yet.

Shaq isn't worth 15 million even on a one year deal. I would love for the team to resign him at a good rate but I am not breaking the bank for potential. I would rather take those dollars elsewhere if he wants more than 9 million aav. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am still holding out hope we re-sign Lawson. He has turned into a solid all-around player in this defense. He had 6.5 sacks to Ngakoue's 8 sacks, but in 320 less defensive snaps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

yes    shaq  really  cam e  into  form  the last  half  of  the season. Not  sure   why we didnt  extend  him last  year.  Hopefully       if we  sign  him  i  just   hope his  motivation   wasnt only    it being a contract  year

21 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Maybe its best. I read somewhere that he only played under 50% of the defensive snaps. His numbers would have been better with more run and I'm sure his agent is letting other teams know that. He showed much improvement no doubt and I would like to see him retained along with Phillips but 12 mil a year for 2 players that are rotational in McDs scheme is a bit much. I'd cut Murphy if they sign Shaq and give him that extra time on the field.

All DL players are rotational in this scheme.  The better players get about65% snaps whereas the average get 45-50%.   The Bills would have to decide between Phillips and Lawson

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

I am still holding out hope we re-sign Lawson. He has turned into a solid all-around player in this defense. He had 6.5 sacks to Ngakoue's 8 sacks, but in 320 less defensive snaps. 

And Shaq isn't just walking into sacks either. This year he had 18 QB hits to Ngakoue's 15. I think we'll really end up regretting it if we let him walk.

• Like (+1) 1

The Spain signing says clearly that we have a spot for our guys, but it's gonna be with contracts commiserate with their value. I imagine that that is part of what makes Buffalo appealing to guys- management that is wise, and knows what they're doing. These guys might like GM's that overpay in March, but come September - January, they want to be on a well run team. Culture and process isn't just about players not getting in trouble off the field- it's about a wholistic approach to the business of football that is professional, mature, and wise. I love that about the current decision makers, and I think it's a big factor in what makes Buffalo such a close-knit group of players. I hope Shaq stays if they're offering him a fair and reasonable contract. 

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

And Shaq isn't just walking into sacks either. This year he had 18 QB hits to Ngakoue's 15. I think we'll really end up regretting it if we let him walk.

Even more than that, he had some straight up nasty plays in the run game. His containment at a couple different times specifically stood out. He might not ever be a double digit sack guy, but he can contribute and I hope we keep him. That being said, I don't want to overpay him. I know Beane and McD have a good understanding of what he's worth, and I'm sure they'll offer him that. It's also likely that there are other teams that might offer him significantly more, if that's the case, I wish Shaq well!

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Yea, I dont mind re-signing him as long as its a reasonable 9-10 mil/year range. Still need an EDGE though.