Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

not necessarily directed at you, per sey John but just the sentiment i see in many posts these days and one i have addressed in a couple other postings...

this sentiment reflects the past two decades before McBeane showed up. the problem is quickly becoming that those talent deficient teams are exactly that, a thing of the past. the talent level on this team is elevated across the board, it is no longer going to be easy to find upgrades off the scrap heap. sure, we can still find upgrades at relatively cheap prices for select positions but it is increasingly harder and harder to do on the curve we are currently we find ourselves on.

good problems to have.

I think this is where drafting well is going to become even MORE essential.....especially as we are going to have to pay a franchise QB salary pretty soon....

Its drafting and staying one step ahead in the free agency instead of reacting to it year to year.

I hear the DJ Reader talk....and ppl complain no because we currently have Star under contract.   I would be all for that DJ Reader signing because

Star can be let go easier next year

Reader is better

Horrible Harry....as much as I love him was average at best in his first year and hurt early in his second

When we lost games last year it seemed we lost them because we couldnt stop the run

Staying one step ahead......

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this is where drafting well is going to become even MORE essential.....especially as we are going to have to pay a franchise QB salary pretty soon....

Its drafting and staying one step ahead in the free agency instead of reacting to it year to year.

I hear the DJ Reader talk....and ppl complain no because we currently have Star under contract.   I would be all for that DJ Reader signing because

Star can be let go easier next year

Reader is better

Horrible Harry....as much as I love him was average at best in his first year and hurt early in his second

When we lost games last year it seemed we lost them because we couldnt stop the run

Staying one step ahead......

agreed on all counts.

i too would rather see Reader signed than Philips for the exact reasons you cite. though i do think Horrible Harry is going to surprise a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think the 1/$4 is probably closer than 3/$30 but depends on the years. Ultimately I expect Phillips to end up in the $5-7 mil per year range, in which case I suspect he takes a short deal to try to continue improving his value.

Not really a rumor, but worth pointing out that we were linked to Melvin Gordon quite a bit this past year. I don't really want to spend serious money on a RB, but if his market is totally dry and he comes in under Ekeler's new contract, it wouldn't be that bad.

The signing of a big name vet FA just doesn’t feel like a Beane move. If Gordon wanted reasonable money like $5-$6 mil total, then ok. But I think Gordon is looking for $8-10 mil. 

58 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

How many teams are concerned that Phillips will not play for every dollar they pay him?

Though he did not use his name, Beane referred to certain type of player as a “one year wonder” when he was on Eric woods podcast.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have no idea about where he should be ranked, but I do think it is discrediting to have Dez Bryant ranked as about the tenth best Wr, higher than Paul Richardson, Taylor Gabriel, Josh Gordon, Phillip Dorsett, Travis Benjamin, and others when he wasn't even on a team at the end of last year.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

I have no idea about where he should be ranked, but I do think it is discrediting to have Dez Bryant ranked as about the tenth best Wr, higher than Paul Richardson, Taylor Gabriel, Josh Gordon, Phillip Dorsett, Travis Benjamin, and others when he wasn't even on a team at the end of last year.

Hell, he wasn't on a team last year at all. He hasn't been on a team since he practiced like one time with NO in 2018 and blew out his achilles. 

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Hell, he wasn't on a team last year at all. He hasn't been on a team since he practiced like one time with NO in 2018 and blew out his achilles. 

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't 100% sure and was too lazy to check ?

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Noticed that according to this the Bills interior def line is ranked 29th in the league and is their weakest unit (but Star was actually good taking up space, he's not expected to make any plays in this defense?

Wr is the next weakest, followed by oline and rb. (Gore was not very good). 

Sounds about right.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh?

I consistently hear Beane and a lot of board members suggest Star is a good player.?

"Star Sucks" camp:

Mike Clay
ScottLaw
Turk71

"Star doesn't suck" camp:

Brandon Beane
Sean McDermott
Lorenzo Alexander

I know whose opinion I'm giving more credence to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

"Star Sucks" camp:

Mike Clay
ScottLaw
Turk71

Brandon Beane
Sean McDermott
Lorenzo Alexander

players, coaches, executives sing the praises of every player on the team, it means nothing. they sang zay's praises and people made the same point you're making now, then he got traded for a bag of chips.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

"Star Sucks" camp:

Mike Clay
ScottLaw
Turk71

Brandon Beane
Sean McDermott
Lorenzo Alexander

I'm not sure if I ever said he sucks (I may have). I definitely called his contract ridiculous when they signed him and said he was overpaid for his worth. Saying he sucks might be a bit harsh, but I do think he is not very good.

Yes, what a shock that his coach and teammate had his back, usually when a highly paid free agent acquisition is a disappointment they just tell the whole world how they truly feel.

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I'm not sure if I ever said he sucks (I may have). I definitely called his contract ridiculous when they signed him and said he was overpaid for his worth. Saying he sucks might be a bit harsh, but I do think he is not very good.

Yes, what a shock that his coach and teammate had his back, usually when a highly paid free agent acquisition is a disappointment they just tell the whole world how they truly feel.

You just don’t want to be mentioned in the same company with Scott. Completely understandable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You just don’t want to be mentioned in the same company with Scott. Completely understandable.

I got lumped in with Mike Clay too. I don't even know these guys.?

Poor Mike Clay didn't even mention Star once either, he just posted a chart that said the Bills interior dline was a weakness. 

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Noticed that according to this the Bills interior def line is ranked 29th in the league and is their weakest unit (but Star was actually good taking up space, he's not expected to make any plays in this defense?

Wr is the next weakest, followed by oline and rb. (Gore was not very good). 

Sounds about right.

Inconsistency in the player vs unit ranking in his chart.  KC is among the worst rated interior DL units, yet Chris Jones is the top DT available in FA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GG said:

Inconsistency in the player vs unit ranking in his chart.  KC is among the worst rated interior DL units, yet Chris Jones is the top DT available in FA.

I believe that the ratings aren't necessarily for this past year, but are a reflection of the current roster. If they lost him, their IDL would likely be among the worst.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I know right? Why would the guys who actually signed him and brought him to the team suggest he isn't any good? 

That wouldnt make them look bad at all....?

Damn Scott, you're basically saying " I will never believe them because of a bad signing"....
That's all you focus on.

They've done a lot of good as well...but looking at the negative far trumps the positive for you.  

You're going to pound the table that you're right on this.  You don't know how to evaluate a NT, we both know it (you didn't even know we ran nickel the majority of the time), but you're as stubborn 1,000 ex-wives all melted as one.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1