Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Friendly reminder that this is the time of year when all tends to go quiet regarding the Bills.

If things are strangely quiet surrounding a big name FA, and you hear nothing connecting said player to the Bills, then he could very well be a target.

There has been zero buzz around Clowney and I had the same thought as you. Speaking of which, Tony Pauline reported yesterday the Seahawks are interested in trading for Ngakoue. That doesn't sound like a team looking to give Clowney an extension. I can't help but wonder.

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Friendly reminder that this is the time of year when all tends to go quiet regarding the Bills.

If things are strangely quiet surrounding a big name FA, and you hear nothing connecting said player to the Bills, then he could very well be a target.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There has been zero buzz around Clowney and I had the same thought as you. Speaking of which, Tony Pauline reported yesterday the Seahawks are interested in trading for Ngakoue. That doesn't sound like a team looking to give Clowney an extension. I can't help but wonder.

I was just going to say the same thing on Clowney. Don’t forget Gaine wanted to pay him and O’Brien didn’t. I think that the Bills make AT LEAST 1 (maybe 2) splash moves in FA or via trade. As of right now, Clowney would be at or near the top of the “likelihood list” IMO. In fact, they probably already have a real sense for the number from Gaine’s conversations when he was in Houston.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just going to say the same thing on Clowney. Don’t forget Gaine wanted to pay him and O’Brien didn’t. I think that the Bills make AT LEAST 1 (maybe 2) splash moves in FA or via trade. As of right now, Clowney would be at or near the top of the “likelihood list” IMO. In fact, they probably already have a real sense for the number from Gaine’s conversations when he was in Houston.

I’ve also heard nothing about Addison and Emmanuel Sanders for the record 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ve also heard nothing about Addison and Emmanuel Sanders for the record 

Addison may very well be “plan b.” They’ll have to draft an edge early still IMO because of age if it is Addison. Sanders makes some sense too (especially if we draft a guy early). 

With that being said I could do a WR room of:

Brown

Sanders

Beasley

Jefferson

2 of Duke/Foster/McKenzie

Roberts

Edge:

Addison

Hughes

Murphy

Anae

Johnson

Something like this makes sense

• Like (+1) 1

I like Sanders, but have a hard time seeing a match. Isn't he most effective in Beasley's role out of the slot? 

With our current cap situation, and roster construction, it's hard to think we can't/shouldn't make a splash with at least 1 or 2 impact players. Whether that's a Clowney, Hooper, or perhaps someone via trade, I just think this is the year to grab someone that can make an impact. 

9 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I like Sanders, but have a hard time seeing a match. Isn't he most effective in Beasley's role out of the slot? 

With our current cap situation, and roster construction, it's hard to think we can't/shouldn't make a splash with at least 1 or 2 impact players. Whether that's a Clowney, Hooper, or perhaps someone via trade, I just think this is the year to grab someone that can make an impact. 

Beane has mentioned not dipping into the high end free agents this year. So not sure that we'd go after Clowney. I think we could see a bunch of Brown/Beasley types aka improvements on what we have but not break the bank. So I could see adding Jordan Jenkins at OLB, Mario Addison at DE and maybe a few depth guys for ST. I'd like to see Jordan Phillips back on a team friendly deal (see less than $8m per season). 

11 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Sanders is good in the slot but he's good out wide too. He's generally been a guy that moves around the formations a lot; pretty ideal fit for what Daboll is looking for honestly (just obviously on the older side).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh.

I'd still like to see something better out of that WR room...

I’m not sure how you’re going to do better than another 900 yard receiver and a guy at 22? The guys just aren’t there. To do better you’ll have to either trade up for one of the top 3 or for a vet. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure how you’re going to do better than another 900 yard receiver and a guy at 22? The guys just aren’t there. To do better you’ll have to either trade up for one of the top 3 or for a vet. 

The price for trading up for one of the top three is probably prohibitive. I'd like to figure out a way to get one of them and still draft Claypool. Likely impossible, but that would really improve the wr room.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I know it's doubtful we pursue him , just interesting. The NFL landscape is going to look alot different for a bunch of teams in 2020

Peters can go fly a kite. Always injured, and I’m still salty about how his previous time here ended. That isn’t all on Peters, but I’d prefer not to think about how we developed an all pro and eventual hall of Fame tackle and let him out the door over a contract dispute. Thankfully we got some decent years out of Eric Wood in return, but he’s no Peters talent-wise. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

Peters can go fly a kite. Always injured, and I’m still salty about how his previous time here ended. That isn’t all on Peters, but I’d prefer not to think about how we developed an all pro and eventual hall of Fame tackle and let him out the door over a contract dispute. Thankfully we got some decent years out of Eric Wood in return, but he’s no Peters talent-wise. 

Not for nothing, but since his lost season in 2012, he’s started 16, 16, 14, 16, 7, 16, and 13 games. Always injured is an overstatement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not for nothing, but since his lost season in 2012, he’s started 16, 16, 14, 16, 7, 16, and 13 games. Always injured is an overstatement.

Maybe so, but what is this board without hyperbole?

I feel like every time I’ve watched an eagles game the last few years they’ve talked about how Peters is hurt. You’ve provided how many times he’s started, but how many of those starts did he finish? Maybe that accounts for my perception. 

Edited by TheProcess

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I feel like every time I’ve watched an eagles game the last few years they’ve talked about how Peters is hurt. You’ve provided how many times he’s started, but how many of those starts did he finish? Maybe that accounts for my perception. 

Confirmation Bias... The only time anyone paid close attention to the Eagles was when they were really good and Peters was hurt. :P

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TOboy said:

Sanders can play outside but I think he might decline soon and is likely looking for as huge a contract as possible. If this team wants to make a big splash at WR via trade or free agency I would love to see this team trade a 2nd plus other mid round picks for Stefon Diggs. Diggs is a WR1 who is on a good contract in his prime.

But I doubt the Vikings trade him. But for some reason he pops up in trade rumors and I think even factoring in the contract and draft compensation he would fill that WR1 need and the team can go edge in round 1 and pick up a WR in round 3.

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Oh he’s definitely been nicked up a whole bunch. For context, for 2013-2019 his snap count % has been: 92, 97, 66, 97, 37, 80, 75.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Sanders can play outside but I think he might decline soon and is likely looking for as huge a contract as possible. If this team wants to make a big splash at WR via trade or free agency I would love to see this team trade a 2nd plus other mid round picks for Stefon Diggs. Diggs is a WR1 who is on a good contract in his prime.

But I doubt the Vikings trade him. But for some reason he pops up in trade rumors and I think even factoring in the contract and draft compensation he would fill that WR1 need and the team can go edge in round 1 and pick up a WR in round 3.

I have a feeling that a WR that isn’t talked about in trade rumors (like, say, Allen Robinson, Marvin Jones, or Golden Tate) will end up moving unexpectedly.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh he’s definitely been nicked up a whole bunch. For context, for 2013-2019 his snap count % has been: 92, 97, 66, 97, 37, 80, 75.

Ah. Ok. Makes sense. Thanks!

I went to look too to see if I was imagining his injury history. I know this isn’t comprehensive, but here’s an article that explains his injuries in 2017 and 2018. Of course we already know some of his struggles this past season. Peters was a great player in his day, but at this point I think we can/should do better. 

https://insidetheiggles.com/2019/01/30/philadelphia-eagles-debate-table-jason-peters-retire-return-2019/amp/