Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I don't think clowney is going to have the suitors he thinks he will.  I could see him getting a 1 year deal at pretty high money like 15-16 mil but i dont think anyone is giving him 20 mil for years. 

I felt the same way. 

Hate guys like him.  Feel they turn the jets on in contract years just to score the big payday.  Not comfortable he’d do what is needed to be consistently great.

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I felt the same way. 

Hate guys like him.  Feel they turn the jets on in contract years just to score the big payday.  Not comfortable he’d do what is needed to be consistently great.

he does have that big game playmaking.  3 sacks all year. then 1.5 in the playoffs. 21 solo tackles all year 9 in the playoffs. he turns it on and off. 

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he does have that big game playmaking.  3 sacks all year. then 1.5 in the playoffs. 21 solo tackles all year 9 in the playoffs. he turns it on and off. 

Don’t want to pay the big, big money for inconsistency.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This dude is good but damn the head aches... Does he want this payday enough to have his second holdout before his rookie contract is even up???

30 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Don’t want to pay the big, big money for inconsistency.

He has the 4th-most TFLs in the league over the last 4 years. The guys ahead of him are Aaron Donald, Chandler Jones, and Cam Jordan.

He’s really good 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

AGAIN, IN MY OPINION, they aren't going to tie loads of cap and money into the LB position. 

Theyll prioritize paying Edmunds, but I think they'd let Milano walk when his contract is expiring.... they'll find a cheaper replacement via the draft or FA. What the ***** is so hard to understand about this? 

Who cares if they prioritize Edmunds?  Why can't you have two good linebackers under contract?  You know, kinda like McDermott had with Keuchly and Thomas Davis while in Carolina?  Or recently with Keuchly and Shaq Thompson?  Thompson didn't receive his extension under McDermott but he was drafted by him....because McDermott does think linebackers who can run and cover as premier players.  If he didn't think it was premier, he wouldn't have two linebackers out there every play.

But you'll argue with your stubbornness "McDermott doesn't feel OLB is a premier position....just because he has Milano out there 100% of the time means nothing!"  

7 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

This dude is good but damn the head aches... Does he want this payday enough to have his second holdout before his rookie contract is even up???

I'd be good with paying Bosa the $$ Yannick is TRYING to get. 

24 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

How is it a headache that he wants a big contract? Wouldn’t you if you were him?

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Nah he likes it there and they will pay him. It’s different than the Melvin Gordon situation. The GM isn’t stupid. They may move on from Ingram though. 

I don’t know your opinion about it, but I think that with this last season who was a success, the Bills are now « more » attractive and a better option for the free agent.

I think that we could be able to sign « a big name » if we want to.

1) We went to the playoffs last year, and we definitely want to improve.

2) We have a young QB that is respected by a lot of peoples apparently from what I read, and he’s definitely a hard working guy.

3) The defense is « elite » imo so the good defensive free agents are gonna be like « sounds interesting to join this great D »

4) We have one of the best fan base in the NFL.

5) McDermott is a great coach imo 

?

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Smitty75 said:

I don’t know your opinion about it, but I think that with this last season who was a success, the Bills are now « more » attractive and a better option for the free agent.

I think that we could be able to sign « a big name » if we want to.

1) We went to the playoffs last year, and we definitely want to improve.

2) We have a young QB that is respected by a lot of peoples apparently from what I read, and he’s definitely a hard working guy.

3) The defense is « elite » imo so the good defensive free agents are gonna be like « sounds interesting to join this great D »

4) We have one of the best fan base in the NFL.

5) McDermott is a great coach imo 

?

I think if the Bills added a high end speed rusher like Clowney and lessened the time the opposing QB could hold the ball on obvious passing downs would make this defense truly elite.   

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree that there’s risk but there is risk with the guys that I mentioned. Clark and Hill have been horrible human beings and if they were to repeat past behaviors would be suspended. Beckham doesn’t have that hanging over his head. The Bills had a deal for Antonio Brown last year. He’s worse on the field and off the field than Beckham!! He has  (to a lesser degree) the domestic issues of Hill and Clark. He also has been a HORRIBLE teammate. In addition to yelling for the ball, he ripped his QB, organization, young receiver, the league, etc... I know it to be true that the Bills had an agreement in place for him. He’s a bad guy. 

Beane knows that he needs ELITE playmakers not more playmakers. Personally, I’d give up 22 for Beckham in a second, especially if the top 3 receivers are gone (and I think a 2nd would get it done). While I think guys like Jefferson are going to be really good pros, I already know Beckham is. He’s a guy that they have to game plan against. He’d be the only guy besides Josh on the roster like that. With the Bills cap situation I have no issue with paying stars. OBJ is that.

In terms of fracturing a locker room the Bills leadership is strong. FWIW, Beckham’s teammates have always liked him. He just demands the ball. In a good locker room (which he has yet to see) he may actually be an even better player. 

I think we're pretty much on the same page other than the amount of compensation to give up for ODB. 

For me, the depth of this WR class is what drives down ODB's worth.  If you project good quality potential WR's all the way through the 3rd (prob not ODB level obviously), I find it hard to trade no more than a 3rd round pick (or multiple lower level picks) for him.

Maybe ODB is just looking for that perfect team fit that will miraculously fix all his ills.  Maybe he needs a strong armed QB that wants to throw it 70 yards and he runs under it to catch it...  Who knows with this guy. :)

Either way it will be a gamble to take him or gamble on the draft pick, but I wouldn't give up our first where we can get a great WR, OT, DE that will fill a spot on the team for 5 years...cheaply.

Edited by hjnick
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He has the 4th-most TFLs in the league over the last 4 years. The guys ahead of him are Aaron Donald, Chandler Jones, and Cam Jordan.

He’s really good 

I don’t doubt he’s good.  I feel he could have been better since he came in the league.

8 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I don’t doubt he’s good.  I feel he could have been better since he came in the league.

Probably. A lot of that has had to do with scheme fit. He’s a speed-to-power guy, so traditional methods of lining him up at 9-tech and 2-point aren’t the best way to make use of his skill set.

He’s best off playing 7-tech and 8i rushing out of a 4-point. There’s a reason that his best sack numbers came when JJ Watt was hurt and Clowney got pushed closer to the OT.

Which brings me to the idea that he’s a great fit here. The 7-tech spot is the position where Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson had their best production in McDermott’s D. It’s the position that took Shaq Lawson from a total non-factor to a potential big-$$ FA. Clowney is a perfect fit there, and McDermott will get more out of him than what we’ve seen.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

I think if the Bills added a high end speed rusher like Clowney and lessened the time the opposing QB could hold the ball on obvious passing downs would make this defense truly elite.   

Right, or a similar player !

• Like (+1) 1