Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Continued from two posts above

Still in Rumor stage.........

Yes please! I want to see the Zay Jones will have 80 reception 1000 yard posts, combined with the Peterman learning from Brady and becoming amazing posts. Well, maybe the second won't happen.

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yes please! I want to see the Zay Jones will have 80 reception 1000 yard posts, combined with the Peterman learning from Brady and becoming amazing posts. Well, maybe the second won't happen.

hmmm......cut Carr and sign Brady as Peterman's backup instead?..............

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Well, we always knew it would be a bidding war.  But like Olsen, I'd bet Hooper would jump at having Rogers as his QB vs. playing in Buffalo...

good point, but I think as a team overall, Seattle is better than Green Bay, and Buffalo is better than Green Bay.  Plus, Wilson utilizes TE's, Rodgers, not so much.  I think we are in the running here, and we should win it.  

Edited by RyanC883

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I do not see Hooper in the same light as others here.  He is good, not great.  Suspect he will get over paid.

I agree. Many Falcons fans thought he was a bust for his first 3 years. Like so many players he had an exceptional contract year. It's just opinion but for me if a team resets the market for Hooper they will regret it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills went after Darryl Williams last year and he re-signed with Carolina, but wasn't good as he was used basically all over the OL.

Disagree.  He wasn't as good because  he's a different player following injury. He didn't deserve his 2nd team all pro at RT anyway because he had tons of help that year, but he was dire as LT and LG for the Panthers. He would be cheap, but with risk. 

7 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Disagree.  He wasn't as good because  he's a different player following injury. He didn't deserve his 2nd team all pro at RT anyway because he had tons of help that year, but he was dire as LT and LG for the Panthers. He would be cheap, but with risk. 

He’s the Carolina guy I think we sign. Gives Ford the chance to start at tackle. If Ford succeeds at Tackle, he can challenge Long at guard. If Ford plays guard, he can challenge Nsekhe at right tackle. Also, he’d probably come cheap. And with his injury history he might look fondly at Buffalo. 

Edited by Dkollidas

13 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

This isn’t college football. Most of these guys that hit free agency are going to whichever team is going to pay them the most. If the dollars are close then they go with the situation they are most comfortable in.

not entirely true. a place like FLA could pay quite a bit less than say, NY and the player would come out ahead.

Edited by Foxx

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

He’s the Carolina guy I think we sign. Gives Ford the chance to start at tackle. If Ford succeeds at Tackle, he can challenge Long at guard. If Ford plays guard, he can challenge Nsekhe at right tackle. Also, he’d probably come cheap. And with his injury history he might look fondly at Buffalo. 

Honestly Williams was terrible this year. I get the Carolina connection, but the only position he can play is RT he failed repeatedly elsewhere as riverboat Ron tried to force a round peg into a square hole.

If you want a versatile guy who might be under the radar, how about NO Andrus Peat. Has played 50 games at a mixture of LT, LG, RG, RT. Two pro bowls in 2018 and 2019. Had a down year entering FA. He's a good buy low option.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I still don’t think Brady is going anywhere. 

That said... if he goes to Raiders, I can’t Imagine Carr will be cool with sticking  around. Think he’d go to New England???  Not sure if that’d be good for bad for Buffalo. 

If I was Derek Carr, I wouldn't be fine with Brady coming in.  Carr would probably end up leaving and going to another team.  The Raiders would have Brady for a year or two, then need another QB; they're setting themselves up to be high and dry in the QB position.  I would hope Gruden is smart enough to see this; at the least Mike Mayock should be...unless the plan is to develop Peterman over the next year or two.  ?

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

good point, but I think as a team overall, Seattle is better than Green Bay, and Buffalo is better than Green Bay.  Plus, Wilson utilizes TE's, Rodgers, not so much.  I think we are in the running here, and we should win it.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t GB beat the Seahawks in the playoffs this year? We can call Rodgers vs Wilson a wash, but I think most will acknowledge that Wilson has surpassed Rodgers at this point of their careers. 

As for signing Hooper, Rodgers has force fed top TE talent when he has one, and will be a first ballot HOFer. Lambeau may be a winter wasteland, but with Rodgers and their last three decades of playoff history it probably looks like a winter wonderland to pass catching FAs. What JA and Daboll do with a top TE is an unknown to these guys, so it’s about money. If it’s just about maximizing cash to Hooper there is probably a better option available for the Bills. Get guys who want to join “the family” and let other teams sign the guys who are about cash, partying, etc. JMO

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Williams was not good this year at all, I sincerely hope he is not a Bills target. 

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

Honestly Williams was terrible this year. I get the Carolina connection, but the only position he can play is RT he failed repeatedly elsewhere as riverboat Ron tried to force a round peg into a square hole.

If you want a versatile guy who might be under the radar, how about NO Andrus Peat. Has played 50 games at a mixture of LT, LG, RG, RT. Two pro bowls in 2018 and 2019. Had a down year entering FA. He's a good buy low option.

Peat is versatile but his play was also terrible this past season. The Bills need dependable talent and they have the money to get it. If Conklin is too much or just not an option, Bulaga was excellent this past year and at 30 should have a couple of good seasons left. He will definitely cost less than Conklin but is just as good of a player if not better. Draft another tackle and bring in Bulaga if possible. I am hoping Ford moves to guard as that is his natural position imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I still don’t think Brady is going anywhere. 

That said... if he goes to Raiders, I can’t Imagine Carr will be cool with sticking  around. Think he’d go to New England???  Not sure if that’d be good for bad for Buffalo. 

What's good or bad for Buffalo is contingent upon what Buffalo does or does not do.   I hope that is the mindset at One Bills Drive.

• Thank you (+1) 1