Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless the Brady to Tennessee rumors are true, I think if I'm Tannehill I take less to stay put with the team I just won Comeback Player of the Year with.

That mindset could cost him millions of guaranteed dollars. It’s a nice thought but

this is his winning lottery ticket. Benched

then come back player just in time

for FA.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is the point that some people claim Conklin actually isn't that good - I have not watched enough Titans to have an opinion

Conklin is consistently good. Only 25 yrs old, he could secure the right tackle spot for years to come. 

I have always thought that Ford would be a better guard than tackle and I think he could excel at the position. The Bills badly need a tackle and a guard and this move could solve both positions.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Still don’t understand why anyone would want to play for Gase or the Jets dumpster fire of an organization. Is the NYC proximity really that big of a deal?

While you are absolutely correct about the jets, Gase, and the dumpster fire,...
The Big Apple is really an amazing  place to live in or visit, quite literally any type of food, fashion, bars, clubs, entertainment or any other thing you might want is likely to be found there, people from all over the world are there, and bring all the interesting things from their home lands, the best pizza I’ve ever eaten the best dim sum, the best Italian food outside of Italy, etc etc. it is hands down one of the most dynamic places on our planet. so yes The proximity to NYC is a big deal.   Oh, but there is one draw back, actually two, the New Jersey jets and giants, they masquerade as New York teams... ??

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Jets gonna Jet. 

spend a bunch of money in FA, cut third rounders. 

Surely you JEST......sorry I couldn't help myself.  You're right on point as always.

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Still don’t understand why anyone would want to play for Gase or the Jets dumpster fire of an organization. Is the NYC proximity really that big of a deal?

$$$$$$$$  let me repeat $$$$$$$$

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

While you are absolutely correct about the jets, Gase, and the dumpster fire,...
The Big Apple is really an amazing  place to live in or visit, quite literally any type of food, fashion, bars, clubs, entertainment or any other thing you might want is likely to be found there, people from all over the world are there, and bring all the interesting things from their home lands, the best pizza I’ve ever eaten the best dim sum, the best Italian food outside of Italy, etc etc. it is hands down one of the most dynamic places on our planet. so yes The proximity to NYC is a big deal.   Oh, but there is one draw back, actually two, the New Jersey jets and giants, they masquerade as New York teams... ??

Lol. I’m with you on the phony jersey teams.

You’re correct and I wasn’t clear. Make no mistake, I understand the draw and allure of NYC. It’s a cool place to visit. Always something to do. Personally, I’d never want to live there (or anywhere near there), but I know that people do.

My contention is that the Jets are a disaster and have been for some time now, so is the proximity to NYC enough to outweigh that? If I’m a ball player, I say no. With as much time as this sport requires, it’s a long miserable season if you aren’t winning. I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win. I don’t correlate winning with the jets (Bills are still fighting that stigma too). As a fan, I realize these players have outside interests, but selfishly I want my guys eating, drinking, sleeping ball all the time. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

You’re correct and I wasn’t clear. Make no mistake, I understand the draw and allure of NYC. It’s a cool place to visit. Always something to do. Personally, I’d never want to live there (or anywhere near there), but I know that people do.

My contention is that the Jets are a disaster and have been for some time now, so is the proximity to NYC enough to outweigh that? If I’m a ball player, I say no. With as much time as this sport requires, it’s a long miserable season if you aren’t winning. I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win. I don’t correlate winning with the jets (Bills are still fighting that stigma too). As a fan, I realize these players have outside interests, but selfishly I want my guys eating, drinking, sleeping ball all the time. 

I here you, on all counts, I don’t think that the jets have what it takes to shed their rep, the Bills on the other hand are making some head way on reviving their name.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Recommendations on Italian restaurants in NYC are accepted.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

This isn’t college football. Most of these guys that hit free agency are going to whichever team is going to pay them the most. If the dollars are close then they go with the situation they are most comfortable in.

Conklin's market is 15 mill plus.

Do we really want the Bills to pay BOTH Dawkins and Conklin 15 mill plus a year?

There are a few FA's out there at RT who will command much less than Conklin and will perform equal or better to him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thought we could dump the news/rumors from around the league starting to emerge from the combine 

Since drafting Darnold in 2018 the only improvements the Jets attempted on offense was trading for Kelechi Osemele, signing LeVeon Bell, and Jamison Crowder. 

Osemele lasted 3 games in which he was terrible, Bell was terrible, and Crowder is a good slot receiver. 

The rest of the resources (#3 overall pick, cap space) supplemented the defense. 

The Jets are now in a situation in which they have zero starting olineman under contract in addition to their number 1 WR hitting free agency. 

I’m not going kill them for overpaying for OL in free agency. They need to figure out if Darnold is the answer, and they can’t surround him with rookies and scrap heap guys in year 3.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Conklin's market is 15 mill plus.

Do we really want the Bills to pay BOTH Dawkins and Conklin 15 mill plus a year?

There are a few FA's out there at RT who will command much less than Conklin and will perform equal or better to him.

I like this thought process. You have a few names to keep an eye on? Is there another ‘Feliciano’ type of player for either RT or swing tackle? 

55 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like this thought process. You have a few names to keep an eye on? Is there another ‘Feliciano’ type of player for either RT or swing tackle? 

The Bills went after Darryl Williams last year and he re-signed with Carolina, but wasn't good as he was used basically all over the OL.

He is a natural RT and he would basically be a RT here and would be more cost effective than Conklin.

I don't know how good (or bad) the Germain Ifedi kid is from Seattle, but he should come at lesser cost than Conklin.

Other than that, the Bills will either be in the Guard market or will be drafting another T high this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills went after Darryl Williams last year and he re-signed with Carolina, but wasn't good as he was used basically all over the OL.

He is a natural RT and he would basically be a RT here and would be more cost effective than Conklin.

I don't know how good (or bad) the Germain Ifedi kid is from Seattle, but he should come at lesser cost than Conklin.

Other than that, the Bills will either be in the Guard market or will be drafting another T high this year.

I think I agree with you. I believe Beane and McDermott are going to let FA and the draft decide what happens to Ford’s position for next year.

I think the draft will be a bigger determiner. If a RT prospect falls to the third that Beane had graded higher, Beane might pick him. 
Even then though, I bet we don’t hear Ford has been moved to guard. This allows players to develop and see where someone sticks without expectation.