McDermott's "Come to Buffalo to be the best version of you that you've ever been" echoed by players

Logic

46 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

While culture and Blue Collar maybe important to Mcclappity and a lot of you older Bills fans. You still need talent to win. I would take a "diva" WR who puts up  over 1200 yards a season over a guy like Beasley any day. 

Well, maybe you would take the diva WR, but the NFL generally seems to have a different opinion.   Teams haven't exactly been standing in line to sign Dez Bryant.   

• Haha (+1) 1

" If  you come to Buffalo you'll become the best version of you that you've ever been before, on and off the field"

not sure this is accurate. I flew in for a game and I ended up drunk @#$& my pants and woke up wearing women's underwear.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I would just like to a take a moment to say the following:

Anyone who could honestly look at a simple post stating that the head coach said Buffalo makes you the best version of yourself and a bunch of players agreed and that this is probably a good thing and decide "this is fertile ground for me to talk smack about McDermott" or "let me explain to you why this is a BAD thing" is soooommmee kind of special.

That is all. Please carry on now with your craziness. Awards will be given out at the end for the most creative takedowns based on this seemingly small and positive quote.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

" If  you come to Buffalo you'll become the best version of you that you've ever been before, on and off the field"

not sure this is accurate. I flew in for a game and I ended up drunk @#$& my pants and woke up wearing women's underwear.

I'd like to go to a game with you sometime. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Are you sure that isn’t the best version you’ve ever been?

• Haha (+1) 1

This reminds me of a thermodynamics conference I attended as a grad student.  There was always a bonfire on a beach into the wee hours.  Copious quantities of malt liquor were available and consumed.  A rather jacked Brit postdoc was observed early the second morning, holding his head in his hand and repeating over and over "do you ever awaken to realize you've been an uttah bahstahd?"  A pair of women's size 0 jeans were observed on the floor under his bed. 

The rest of us be like "Nope, Can't say as we have, actually." 

That may have been said with regret by some.

• Haha (+1) 1

Obviously the guy is going to speak positively about the state of things here. What should he say, "Eh, yeah, we still kinda suck but we almost didn't totally suck last season. Come help us not suck so much!" Yeah, that sounds enticing. 

I think the overhaul of culture goes beyond the team. It's pretty well-known that when Ralph was the owner, the Bills were a team that generally offered low-ball deals to free agents (their own as well) and had an owner that really didn't have full trust in his administration. Then, you gotta wash off the stank of missing the playoffs for 17 straight seasons and only putting up, what, two winning records during that entire stretch? Then, you're dealing with the usual crap that gets mentioned, small market team, poop weather, nothing to do, blah blah blah. 

The overhaul of the culture comes from the top down, starting with the Pegulas. They're the opposite of Ralph in that they fully trust their personnel and they give them the money and resources to do what they gotta do in order to get better. I think they're very conscious of the outside perception a lot of people have and they work hard to change that. Surely Cole Beasley thought he probably saw the king of stadiums with Jerryworld, but he comes to this city by the lake and he's blown away by the facilities. (Yeah, I know the stadium is nowhere near the level of Dallas). They reach out to players and their families to personally let them know that they'll be taken care of while they're here. That they're important not just as a football player for the Buffalo Bills, but as a member of the Buffalo community. You just don't hear about that stuff with many other teams. Those things stand out and make a difference. 

I also think something that could draw players here is the fact that the Bills and the Sabres are really it for this town. I mean that, as in, they aren't overshadowed by an NBA team, or an MLB team, or other sports teams. There aren't tons of big events/shows/concerts always coming through town. These dudes get off the plane at 1 AM and a hundred some odd fans are out there at the airport freezing their jimmies off just so they can congratulate the team and show appreciation. There's no way players see that and don't think, "Wow, this is special, this is different." Mitch Morse and Cole Beasley were greeted with a bucket of wings coming off the plane to do their introductory press conferences. Don't think those guys don't take notice of that. Dion Dawkins spoke about how in other places people would see a guy like him and think, "Oh yeah, that's probably a football player or something" but here, he's got people that know exactly who he is, where he's from, what he's done so far in the league, etc. 

So yeah, come to Buffalo. Can't absolutely guarantee you'll be the best-ever version of yourself, but they'll sure as sh*t do all they can to help you try to get there. And the fans are gonna make you feel like more than just a football player. And they're gonna give you a home-crowd atmosphere that's gonna remind you of your college days. Yeah, half the frickin' games are played under gloomy gray skies and the occasional blizzard (Indy 2017!) but I really think they can offer a very unique experience you might not get elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Now you got me hungry for kohlrabi and there is a new German supermarket chain near me.  I cannot decide between Caramelized Kohlrabi Soup or Cream of Kohlrabi Soup with bratz.

2 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Cut yourself some slack. Given your state of mind at the time, how can you be entirely sure that the owner of those women's underwear didn't @#$& them before you slipped into them? ??

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McD doesn't say or do anything without intention.  But statements like this only go so far and are well short of what it takes to build a roster that can win in the post-season.  Something he's not been able to finish - yet.

Give him a break, he was handed a hot mess on offense and a bad cap situation, as well as a team stuck with the stigma of "players don't want to go there".  He managed to at least get us to the playoffs twice after two decades of failure, and a winning record as a first time HC.

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The question is why would a NFL HC play recruiter just prior to UFA beginning?  I get that people live at the surface level and want to make the obvious determinations.  But I'd love to know why he said what he did today because there's more going on here than simply him playing recruiter. 

Maybe because that's his job?  And maybe, just maybe, he actually cares.

20 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

It is truly a mystery.

I also wonder why Nick Saban starts playing recruiter during college recruitment season.  WHAT IS HE HIDING???

Hmm, the way Oliver celebrated his first sack...almost as if he KNEW that's how we expected him to react!  He's obviously a mole planted to tear down the organization from the inside.  Truly diabolical. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

What's the big deal about this? 

Weren't Mrs. Whaley and Mrs. Marrone doing this too??

There were no covered casserole dishes nor cookie baskets with moist towelettes provided during previous regimes...an egregious oversight which clearly cost us dearly. :flirt:

in all seriousness great find OP, thanks for posting! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like I said, I think whatever that Peterdude guy has, it's like Catnip for Coaches.

LOL, I mean he’s not even CFL or XFL or even Arena league level good ??. Idk what McD saw in this kid to make him draft him. Not that I liked Tyrod but that was one of the dumbest decisions to bench him in favor of peterman against the chargers

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

There's really NOTHING to criticize here, although the positive extrapolations are a bit extreme.

With the weather/small market issues the Bills face, it's absolutely vital that the GM/HC do everything in their power to make Buffalo an appealing destination. McDermott seems to do a great job "inspiring" men and fostering a positive environment. That much is self evident. 

Results are really the only thing that matter, and McD has eked every single win possible out of his rosters ALL 3 seasons in Buffalo. While I question the importance of "culture" and all of that jazz, the proof is in the pudding. While the draft is the lifeblood of the team, I do think it's important for the Bills to acquire some top end talent via FA'cy. If this helps, that's great.

I agree, how can anyone criticize this? I think McD is a brilliant defensive coach, and has this team headed in the right direction. Having a positive team culture certainly can’t hurt anything. With that said, only talent will allow us to take the next step, even if some guys don’t fit the culture. The Chiefs are world champs, and they have some real “non character guys”. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL, I mean he’s not even CFL or XFL or even Arena league level good ??. Idk what McD saw in this kid to make him draft him. Not that I liked Tyrod but that was one of the dumbest decisions to bench him in favor of peterman against the chargers

Actually, I personally think NP would do all right in the XFL. The defenses aren't nearly as talented so his weak arm isn't going to be his undoing. He is obviously a decent X's and O's guy and a good teammate.