McDermott's "Come to Buffalo to be the best version of you that you've ever been" echoed by players

Logic

23 hours ago, BillsVet said:

There's more than the obvious reason why McD is making this statement.  The dude is always planning his approach and uses his statements to the media to achieve a purpose.  He's not just spouting off on how he feels at the moment.  

For example, at the combine last year the first thing he talked about with the media was a need to score more points.  This happened without even being asked about it because he's knew what he'd be asked about.  It's a way to get out in front of something before it gets worse. I used the example from after the Cleveland game to illustrate this. 

The question is why would a NFL HC play recruiter just prior to UFA beginning?  I get that people live at the surface level and want to make the obvious determinations.  But I'd love to know why he said what he did today because there's more going on here than simply him playing recruiter. 

He has a secret agenda.....first control the Bills Mafias minds...……...then the world   ;)

Now Mr Bicklesworth where did I leave the lazers ? ;)  (Coach says in his best Mike Meyers voice)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Cut yourself some slack. Given your state of mind at the time, how can you be entirely sure that the owner of those women's underwear didn't @#$& them before you slipped into them? ??

You speak with wisdom beyond your years.

4 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

Are you sure that isn’t the best version you’ve ever been?

Fair enough Jim LMFAO fair enough

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, how can anyone criticize this? I think McD is a brilliant defensive coach, and has this team headed in the right direction. Having a positive team culture certainly can’t hurt anything. With that said, only talent will allow us to take the next step, even if some guys don’t fit the culture. The Chiefs are world champs, and they have some real “non character guys”. 

I mean, bang. The poster viewing this as some kind of sinister plot is really blowing my mind. McD has gotten results and I'm glad he's the HC. If we're judging results, he's by far the most PROVEN of the big 3(Beane, McD, Allen)

Culture is clearly a priority for these guys, but I believe Beane/McD would be willing to give a less than stellar "character" a shot. They were absolutely sniffing around AB last offseason. What does that tell you?

In the grand scheme of things, all it really means is that we've got a HC who's gotten results and is fully committed to his job and the team. I don't think he deserves extreme praise for this, but he sure as all () doesn't deserve critique.

At the end of the day, the regime has got to do a better job evaluating offensive talent or they won't get where they need to be. 

But picking THIS to bash? Just off the wall really.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

While culture and Blue Collar maybe important to Mcclappity and a lot of you older Bills fans. You still need talent to win. I would take a "diva" WR who puts up  over 1200 yards a season over a guy like Beasley any day. 

How about those exciting sabres, am I right?

On 2/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, BillsVet said:

Then why didn't McD make that statement last year?  A year when they had every intention of being aggressive in UFA?  A year when expectations were going to be high?  

I get that most fans aren't capable of putting themselves in McD's position and their proclivity is to laud anything the team does.  My belief is McD said this because he's entering the fourth off-season as HC and this year is critical to his rebuild.  He also knows the schedule promises to harder than the 3rd easiest in the NFL. He recognizes a need for more talent and they've got money to spend even if they re-sign Tre, Dawkins, and Milano.  He also knows that many of his contemporaries are or close to getting to the SB.  

McD ain't a surface-level thinker like a lot of fans are.  

Wow, surface level thinkers, you are a piece of work aren’t you. Anyone and I mean anyone who has worked in sales or management for even a short period of time has a full understanding of marketing concepts, and that they work best when the person delivering the message is sincere and truly likes what they do and wants their co- workers to buy in and be happy with their time in an organization. It is not advanced level thinking nor is it complicated,  it is SOP in every well run organization from bicycle shops to Goldman Sachs.

Now go and get yourself s nap and come back when your head is on right. 

Go Bills!!!

On 2/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, JMF2006 said:

He has a secret agenda.....first control the Bills Mafias minds...……...then the world   ;)

Now Mr Bicklesworth where did I leave the lazers ? ;)  (Coach says in his best Mike Meyers voice)

nah, this is McBeane's recruiting team

latest?cb=20170513233030

On 2/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On topic, we just KNOW what McDermott said is gonna be trash-talking points any time someone gets a play on our D, right?  "Hey, that your best version?"

Highly doubtful.  Any time?  Like every time? They quote a coach comment from early March? Anyways new t.v. gameshow hot take imho.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, BillsVet said:

Then why didn't McD make that statement last year?  A year when they had every intention of being aggressive in UFA?  A year when expectations were going to be high?  

I get that most fans aren't capable of putting themselves in McD's position and their proclivity is to laud anything the team does.  My belief is McD said this because he's entering the fourth off-season as HC and this year is critical to his rebuild.  He also knows the schedule promises to harder than the 3rd easiest in the NFL. He recognizes a need for more talent and they've got money to spend even if they re-sign Tre, Dawkins, and Milano.  He also knows that many of his contemporaries are or close to getting to the SB.  

McD ain't a surface-level thinker like a lot of fans are.  

Public relations or advertising in itself is not inherently bad. It can be bad, for instance when a corporation or organization are doing illegal or nefarious things and then they use public relations and supposed philanthropy to distort reality by creating a false narrative about their actions. Or another instance would be false advertising. Promising something you can't deliver or misleading the consumer (selling something that you know is a poor product, bad for the buyer, or overpriced).

But, when your PR or advertising is honest and just pointing out the truthful positives of your product or organization, there is nothing wrong with that. You are just letting consumers know what they will get from what you are selling. That's just good business.

I agree that McDermott and Beane are good at PR and think a lot about the image they project of themselves and the Bills organization. But, they are also very honest, down-to-earth guys. McDermott only says things when he thinks that he can actually back them up. Between the new facilities, the amount they put into player health, the family-type atmosphere of the organization and city, etc., I think he truly believes what he is saying. He couldn't say it last year because even if it were true then, he didn't have enough proof maybe to convince someone from the outside. Now he can point to player development with examples of players who have exceeded expectations, who were reclamation projects from other teams, who were cast offs or just not used properly on their last team, who have now flourished in Buffalo, having career years. He can point to the overall health of the team over the last two years. He can point to the fact that his teams have overachieved, making the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. He can point to the Bills fan base. All of which he believes can make someone a better player and maybe a better man. It is not every NFL franchise where players and their families are cared for and supported from the top down (owners, GM, coaches, staff), no matter where they are on the roster. I mean look who those twitter response were from. It wasn't from just the Josh Allens of the team, but it was Duke Williams and LaAdrian Waddle's wife (a guy who hasn't even see the field for the team yet and could be gone in FA). If that doesn't prove McD is a man of his word, what about all of the coaches promotions that just happened. The Bills take care of their own and make sure everyone is growing and getting better at what they do. And when you do, you are rewarded for it. That is a reality-based promise if you come to Buffalo, buy in, and work hard.

So, again, do McDermott and Beane put narratives out into the media to sell their product? Absolutely they do. But, it is not false advertising. When they say something, they can actually back up their claims, so really, it is just good, honest business. Not to mention, part of their job does require recruiting free agents that they think will help their team. So, not too difficult to see why he would say what he did and why he said it now.

• Like (+1) 1