McDermott's "Come to Buffalo to be the best version of you that you've ever been" echoed by players

Logic

If anyone out there still doesn't think team culture matters, or wants to see an illustration of what is so special about what Buffalo is currently building, look no further than McDermott's original quote and the fact that multiple players and family members have validated the truth of the statement.

Awesome stuff.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 11

McD is well-versed in the PR aspect to being a NFL HC and knows how to flip the narrative when he needs to. 

It reminds me of what went down after the loss to Cleveland.  McD and staff were criticized for settling on a game-tying FG that Haushka missed.  The following Tuesday, the team made sure via Chris Brown that people heard McD's comment to the offense about playing fearless. 

It was designed to push the problem off onto the players and away from the staff.  And it worked when fans ate that up with a fork and spoon. 

McD doesn't say or do anything without intention.  But statements like this only go so far and are well short of what it takes to build a roster that can win in the post-season.  Something he's not been able to finish - yet.

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD is well-versed in the PR aspect to being a NFL HC and knows how to flip the narrative when he needs to. 

It reminds me of what went down after the loss to Cleveland.  McD and staff were criticized for settling on a game-tying FG that Haushka missed.  The following Tuesday, the team made sure via Chris Brown that people heard McD's comment to the offense about playing fearless. 

It was designed to push the problem off onto the players and away from the staff.  And it worked when fans ate that up with a fork and spoon. 

Did you hurt yourself stretching so much?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Logic said:

If anyone out there still doesn't think team culture matters, or wants to see an illustration of what is so special about what Buffalo is currently building, look no further than McDermott's original quote and the fact that multiple players and family members have validated the truth of the statement.

Awesome stuff.

And furthermore:

23 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD doesn't say or do anything without intention.  But statements like this only go so far and are well short of what it takes to build a roster that can win in the post-season.  Something he's not been able to finish - yet.

Image result for Oscar the grouch gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

48 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

What's the big deal about this? 

Weren't Mrs. Whaley and Mrs. Marrone doing this too??

Why try to bash those guys’ families in a thread that has nothing to do with them?  

And it is great to hear stuff like this.  I don’t think anyone has ever doubted how good of a guy McDermott is.  At the same time, it is pro football.  That stuff doesn’t matter if you don’t win.  Losman used to organizing cleaning up Buffalo.  Jauron was one of the nicest guys to ever be involved in football and he’s trashed by Bills fans.  

I do think this is great for rookies and young players.  But FAs are going to sign for money and the best chance to win.  Still really nice to hear and I love those families as my neighbors.  But sadly, scumbags win a lot in pro sports. See Patriots, New England.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This is ridiculous.

PR aspect? Flip the narrative? What in the actual hell? 

Here is what McDermott said: 

"If you come to Buffalo you'll become the best version of you that you've ever been before, on and off the field."

How does anyone take issue with that statement? The players on the team's roster run through walls for this guy. This team is in the best shape it's been in years, and it's about to get much better on a solid base. And it got that way because of Beane, McDermott, the coaches and the process. Every well-respected NFL talking head agrees they're doing a great job building a competitive team for the long term.

The only narrative that comment is flipping is the one in your head that somehow seems  to believe McD is making pretty talk to cover for the fact that you don't think he's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

So what team are you a fan of by the way? Asking for a friend...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is ridiculous.

PR aspect? Flip the narrative? What in the actual hell? 

How does anyone take issue with that statement? The players on the team's roster run through walls for this guy. This team is in the best shape it's been in years, and it's about to get much better on a solid base. And it got that way because of Beane, McDermott, the coaches and the process. Every well-respected NFL talking head agrees they're doing a great job building a competitive team for the long term.

The only narrative that comment is flipping is the one in your head that somehow seems  to believe McD is making pretty talk to cover for the fact that you don't think he's a good coach.

There's more than the obvious reason why McD is making this statement.  The dude is always planning his approach and uses his statements to the media to achieve a purpose.  He's not just spouting off on how he feels at the moment.  

For example, at the combine last year the first thing he talked about with the media was a need to score more points.  This happened without even being asked about it because he's knew what he'd be asked about.  It's a way to get out in front of something before it gets worse. I used the example from after the Cleveland game to illustrate this. 

The question is why would a NFL HC play recruiter just prior to UFA beginning?  I get that people live at the surface level and want to make the obvious determinations.  But I'd love to know why he said what he did today because there's more going on here than simply him playing recruiter. 

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

Did you hurt yourself stretching so much?

I don’t fully agree with everything he said but I think his main point is that McBeane are very good with the media.  I do believe the media does play favorites with guys they like.  Marrone and Whaley we’re not very media friendly.  The media pounced on them as a result.  

that said, I have no doubt guys love playing for McDermott.  I would.   But it still is a bottom line business. 

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The question is why would a NFL HC play recruiter just prior to UFA beginning?  I get that people live at the surface level and want to make the obvious determinations.  But I'd love to know why he said what he did today because there's more going on here than simply him playing recruiter. 

Because he wants players to come to Buffalo. It's just that simple. It's not like this team has a long history of winning, so he needs to let players know that if the Bills want them and they're willing to come to the Bills, the team will do their best to make that player the best they can be...on and off the field.

Have you never been recruited to work for a company? Or recruited to attend a college? People put their best foot forward to recruit the best people they can.

It's really no more or less than that. Unless you don't like McDermott. In which case he's clearly covering for something nefarious! :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1