Looking at the Bills schedule based off defensive rankings

corta765

I've seen a lot of people fretting about the Bills schedule coming up and more difficult opponents, but I think there is one thing that will determine the Bills chances against these teams then anything else. Straight up its how good their defense is or isnt. Buffalo has shown that the offense can move the ball and score points against most teams, but the Bills struggled when greatly this year against top defenses like NE, BAL, PIT, even the Jets truthfully. I really don't doubt that the defense will keep every game as close as possible for the offense, but as Brandon Beane said they gotta score more.

So what does 2020 hold based off last years defensive rankings. Using yards per game as the main measurement the Bills schedule breaks down like this:

Games against top 10 defense: 7 games (NE 2x, NYJ 2x, PIT, SF, & LAC)

Games against defenses 11-21: 5 games (DEN, LAR, OAK/VEG, TEN, & KC)

Games against bottom defenses 22-32: 4 games (ARZ, MIA & SEA)

On paper that looks pretty formidable lets see how it compared to the 2019 year:

Games against top 10 defense: 8 games (NE 2x, NYJ 2x, BAL, PIT, DAL, & PHI)

Games against defenses 11-21: 2 games (DEN & TEN)

Games against bottom defenses 22-32: 6 games (MIA 2x, CIN, WAS, NYG, & CLE)

Judging by defensive rankings Buffalo will be for a tough ride this year. Taking into account that some teams will move up and others down the big area that will probably determine the Bills playoffs chances lie with those middle defenses which are playoff teams the Bills will absolutely be battling against.The Bills collected 5 wins last year against those teams with bottom ranking defenses and will have less to chew on this year. Obviously much can change, but generally defensive rankings do not see the drastic swings by tons of teams the way record can change.

What will be interesting is with the potential extra playoff spot being added this year (depending on the CBA negotiations) these teams with middle ranked defenses games will take on even greater importance to the Bills this season. We all know the offense needs to do more and this only validates that this will present a tougher test for the team in 2019-20.

What is your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

I've seen a lot of people fretting about the Bills schedule coming up and more difficult opponents, but I think there is one thing that will determine the Bills chances against these teams then anything else. Straight up its how good their defense is or isnt. Buffalo has shown that the offense can move the ball and score points against most teams, but the Bills struggled when greatly this year against top defenses like NE, BAL, PIT, even the Jets truthfully. I really don't doubt that the defense will keep every game as close as possible for the offense, but as Brandon Beane said they gotta score more.

So what does 2020 hold based off last years defensive rankings. Using yards per game as the main measurement the Bills schedule breaks down like this:

Games against defenses 11-21: 5 games (DEN, LAR, OAK/VEG, TEN, & KC)

Games against bottom defenses 22-32: 4 games (ARZ, MIA & SEA)

On paper that looks pretty formidable lets see how it compared to the 2019 year:

Games against top 10 defense: 8 games (NE 2x, NYJ 2x, BAL, PIT, DAL, & PHI)

Games against defenses 11-21: 2 games (DEN & TEN)

Games against bottom defenses 22-32: 6 games (MIA 2x, CIN, WAS, NYG, & CLE)

Judging by defensive rankings Buffalo will be for a tough ride this year. Taking into account that some teams will move up and others down the big area that will probably determine the Bills playoffs chances lie with those middle defenses which are playoff teams the Bills will absolutely be battling against.The Bills collected 5 wins last year against those teams with bottom ranking defenses and will have less to chew on this year. Obviously much can change, but generally defensive rankings do not see the drastic swings by tons of teams the way record can change.

What will be interesting is with the potential extra playoff spot being added this year (depending on the CBA negotiations) these teams with middle ranked defenses games will take on even greater importance to the Bills this season. We all know the offense needs to do more and this only validates that this will present a tougher test for the team in 2019-20.

What is your thoughts?

Looks to be the same.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just dont see it that much of a killer IF we can improve our offense

I mean it’s way too early to evaluating schedules.  But you’re right.  We are playing teams that can put points on the board.  We need to have a more consistent offense.  

but at this point, it is a much harder schedule than last year.  It is also the road trip Bills schedule possibly ever. That Vegas game will be absolutely insane.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean it’s way too early to evaluating schedules.  But you’re right.  We are playing teams that can put points on the board.  We need to have a more consistent offense.  

but at this point, it is a much harder schedule than last year.  It is also the road trip Bills schedule possibly ever. That Vegas game will be absolutely insane.

If I had to choose where to allocate my resoruces it would def be on offense.

Most of our D guys are signed....and its really good just as it is right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

If I had to choose where to allocate my resoruces it would def be on offense.

Most of our D guys are signed....and its really good just as it is right now.

Oh for sure.  I trust McBeane bargain basement shopping for defensive players.  They excel there.  I worry about the offensive part.  So please add 3 or 4 playmakers and some o linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh for sure.  I trust McBeane bargain basement shopping for defensive players.  They excel there.  I worry about the offensive part.  So please add 3 or 4 playmakers and some o linemen.

You know the intersting thing is we got some guys I really like RIGHT NOW

I think that Voshan Joseph is an animal

I really like Darryl Johnson the DE we picked up in the 7th....will be watching him closely

Then we picked up Liguet and the DT from Miami in the middle of the season

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You know the intersting thing is we got some guys I really like RIGHT NOW

I think that Voshan Joseph is an animal

I really like Darryl Johnson the DE we picked up in the 7th....will be watching him closely

Then we picked up Liguet and the DT from Miami in the middle of the season

Yeah, I think even those “critical” of McDermott don’t doubt his eye for defensive talent.  That’s why besides a pass rusher, I don’t want to see any high picks on defensive players. 

The offense really must score three TDs per game on average, if that is accomplished we will be fine, (I would hope that we would throw in a FG or two on top of that every so often). With JA upping his game as he needs to,  and a whole lot less dropped passes we can get were we need to go. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The offense really must score three TDs per game on average, if that is accomplished we will be fine, (I would hope that we would throw in a FG or two on top of that every so often). With JA upping his game as he needs to,  and a whole lot less dropped passes we can get were we need to go. 

Go Bills!!!

It would be nice to root for a Bills team where scoring 3 tds in a game isn’t a minor miracle.   We have had some brutal offenses these past 20 years. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It would be nice to root for a Bills team where scoring 3 tds in a game isn’t a minor miracle.   We have had some brutal offenses these past 20 years. 

So very true, but a guy can hope better, ?

Just Josh improving his deep throws and pass catchers actually catching passes will improve the Offense tremendously. Add in new playmakers and it’ll be a real treat to watch. 

If Allen completed even a third of his deep attempts, we’re Division Champs on merit and I’m talking Knox, Duke, McKettick, Roberts, Foster, Kroft & DiMarco. 

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

What is your thoughts?

Jets being top ten on yards is misleading. They weren't very good in some other areas like sacks/rushing/3rd downs. 

Edited by jeremy2020

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jets being top ten on yards is misleading. They weren't very good in some other areas like sacks/rushing/3rd downs. 

They had a host of injuries and Mosley being out hurt. I don't disagree they were not as strong as other defenses but they still factor into the Bills schedule and truthfully we only scored 17 pts and 6 (although that was with the starters out and if I were a Jet fan I would've been disheartened that it took so long to put the bills away)

On 2/27/2020 at 1:35 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I can't wait!! I was at the Knights game Friday and the atmosphere is electric. But this time Buffalo will win and it will be sweet to talk trash to my Vegas family. Already have my ticket for this one. Hopefully there will be a road crew meet up for Bills fans and some tailgating. 

On 2/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

There are A LOT of Buffalo transplants here in Vegas. Wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders/Bills fan attendance rate was pretty evenly split.