Did anyone become a Bills fan later on in life or convert from another team?

Another Fan

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Weird how many Bills fans are/were Browns fans.

Browns were on TV every week before the Bills arrived and were the best team in the NFL, would have been hard to cheer against Jim Brown during that era

born in the mid 60s, lots of friends in Southern Ontario were bandwagon Miami fans and have kept with the team through the years

Edited by row_33

Started as a Raider fan in 1968...they were always on TV, more so than the Bills because of home blackouts, and I was a huge Mad Bomber fan.  Chiefs beat Raiders to go to Super Bowl IV, I rooted hard for the Vikings to beat Chiefs only to see them go down to defeat...feel in love with the Purple Gang after that.

And then, on September 30, 1973, went to the first regular season game at Rich...the rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Around 1989 was when I started following the Bills, more like became a hardcore fan. I had a friend that was all over Dan Marino’s jock that just got all over my nerves.

Enter the Marinobane called the Buffalo Bills. All the fits this team gave him sold me, and from that point on, I couldn’t count how many times my friend ended up cussing this team up and down. Have stayed a fan since then through thick and thin. 

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Weird how many Bills fans are/were Browns fans.

You have to understand that during the 1950's in the Buffalo area we had the Browns on one TV station every Sunday and the Giants on another TV station. So we all became either Browns fans or Giants fans. The arguments were great, by the way. In those days the Giants had a way of bottling up Jim Brown, and we Brown fans suffered through a few bad beatings by Sam Huff, Y. A. Tittle, Frank Gifford and company.

Then the Bills and the AFL came along ... but we still rooted for the Browns or the Giants in the NFL.

Edited by Alfredo
  • Like (+1) 2

I married into the Bills family 32 years ago. My buddy in the Navy was married to her sister and invited me on a trip where I met her. Six months later we were married. Her Family is Buffalo to the core with a10 siblings. Her dad was an original ticket holder. I never had a team growing up as my Dad just liked to watch the best game on.  I think I am more a Bills fan now than her. Stationed at Gitmo and watching the playoff game against the Houston Oilers, she left to take the kids to the pool after half time while I stuck around. She returned and said "Well, did they win?" I was pretty smug when I said they had.

First time contributor, long time reader. This topic brought me out of hiding.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, BuffaloNavy said:

I married into the Bills family 32 years ago. My buddy in the Navy was married to her sister and invited me on a trip where I met her. Six months later we were married. Her Family is Buffalo to the core with a10 siblings. Her dad was an original ticket holder. I never had a team growing up as my Dad just liked to watch the best game on.  I think I am more a Bills fan now than her. Stationed at Gitmo and watching the playoff game against the Houston Oilers, she left to take the kids to the pool after half time while I stuck around. She returned and said "Well, did they win?" I was pretty smug when I said they had.

This post alone made this one of my favorite threads I started on this site 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Reading through posts on the couple years I’ve been a member here it seems most were Bills fans since childhood.  They were born into it.

Im curious if anybody became a Bills fan later on in life or any converts from other teams.  I mean my opinion on people for one thing has changed over the years.   Same with TV, music, movies, cars, etc....

Reasons per say can just be as simple as say I never liked football as a kid.  Or I went to a Bills game and really loved the atmosphere.  

Wouldn’t make someone any lesser a fan imo.  

People who who grew up in buffalo , moved out to another city and got married and had kids there you likely end up fans of both teams while the spouse and kids are fans of the new city team.

my brother and his family have lived in Nashville for 25 years.

his wife is also from buffalo

with football my brother always was a bills fan. Titans second. Same with wife and kids

on hockey...his wife was a much bigger sabres fan. My brother didn’t follow hockey closely. How he’s a press fan firstover the sabres. She is plait.  The kids are far preps fans but they know both sides of family are strong sabres fans.

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Reading through posts on the couple years I’ve been a member here it seems most were Bills fans since childhood.  They were born into it.

Im curious if anybody became a Bills fan later on in life or any converts from other teams.  I mean my opinion on people for one thing has changed over the years.   Same with TV, music, movies, cars, etc....

Reasons per say can just be as simple as say I never liked football as a kid.  Or I went to a Bills game and really loved the atmosphere.  

Born and raised as a Bills fan.

Back in the day, games were usually blacked out from local TV. I ended up learning football by listening and visualizing Van Millers commentary on the radio. Great times. I still find sports over the radio to be very relaxing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, boater said:

Born and raised as a Bills fan.

Back in the day, games were usually blacked out from local TV. I ended up learning football by listening and visualizing Van Millers commentary on the radio. Great times. I still find sports over the radio to be very relaxing.

the local touch for radio broadcasts on the NFL allows for player and formation changes along with knowing the context of their team

the national broadcast for TV is extremely lazy and rarely tells me anything i didn't just see with my own eyeballs

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I wasn't a real football fan as a kid.  When I was about 10 (1981), I liked the Steelers.  Back then ,where I live, most kids either liked the Steelers or the Cowboys.

When I got to high school, my best friend was a big football fan and his team was the Broncos. I loosely latched onto the Browns, just because they were rivals and I was playfully going against my buddy.

When the Bills played the Giants in the Super Bowl, I was in the Navy.  I was at a shipmate's house to watch the game.  I figured that was the best time to finally pick a team, since both teams were NY teams (kind of).  I told my friends that I was flipping a quarter - heads, I root for the Bills; tails, I root for the Giants.  And whichever team I ended up with, I'd stay with for the rest of my life.

It landed heads.  And here I am decades later.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My mom was from the Paris area - the suburb of Drancy to be precise.  She met my dad at the conclusion of WWII and moved to Buffalo.  And while she adopted a lot of local customs, I could never convince her to become a Bills fan.  She thought American football was barbaric and only grudgingly let me play.  

The Bills Mafia is a great reason to be a fan!

Awesome story man !

Yes, i know this surburb as a Parisian citizen myself. ?

I don’t know how it is in the others countries in Europe, but in France most of the older generation think the same about this sport ahah.

Go Bills ??

6 hours ago, BuffaloNavy said:

Awesome man thanks for the story!

You are a Buffalonian today and forever

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I wasn't a real football fan as a kid.  When I was about 10 (1981), I liked the Steelers.  Back then ,where I live, most kids either liked the Steelers or the Cowboys.

When I got to high school, my best friend was a big football fan and his team was the Broncos. I loosely latched onto the Browns, just because they were rivals and I was playfully going against my buddy.

When the Bills played the Giants in the Super Bowl, I was in the Navy.  I was at a shipmate's house to watch the game.  I figured that was the best time to finally pick a team, since both teams were NY teams (kind of).  I told my friends that I was flipping a quarter - heads, I root for the Bills; tails, I root for the Giants.  And whichever team I ended up with, I'd stay with for the rest of my life.

It landed heads.  And here I am decades later.

Coin toss?!? You left the Fate of your eternal soul to a flipping coin toss?!? 

Thank God the big man had your back that moment

• Haha (+1) 3

Whenever I say I'm a lifelong Bills fan, my family always has to mockingly remind me that I was actually a Pittsburgh Steelers fan first. <sigh> It's true. I grew up in a big Bills family. I remember watching bits and pieces of O.J.'s last couple of seasons, but I was kind of too young to say I was fully paying attention or cared too much about it. Then O.J. got traded, which I remember being a big deal in the family, and as a little tyke with a short attention span, he was really the only thing that made the Bills interesting to me. The next season, 1978, I really started to pay attention to football seriously and the Steelers were the best team at the time, so I just started rooting for them. And as they marched their way to the Super Bowl that year, I went all in. That very cold winter In Rochester, I went to school every day in a Steelers winter hat, scarf, and gloves, and with a Steelers duffel bag hanging at my side. When they won the Super Bowl, I was ecstatic. Man I loved that team.

But as winter turned to spring and then spring to summer, something happened. I'm not sure what, just getting a bit older, the influence of family and friends, just wanting to root for the hometown team, but somehow by the start of the 1979 season I was a Bills fan. And even when the Steelers won another Super Bowl at the end of the '79 season, I didn't really care. I'm sure I must have rooted for them over the Rams, but I just wasn't invested in that team anymore. Just like that. I was now walking to school in Bills gear. And if there were any question still remaining, it was completely answered by Joe Cribbs' 1980 rookie season. He brought so much excitement to the Bills.

Yes, true confessions, for one glorious season I was a Steelers fan. But it has been all Bills ever since.

I did also for a couple of years have a second team I rooted for, which wasn't something I normally did. In all sports leagues, I had always had just one team that I rooted for. But after the 1981 AFC Divisional Round Playoff Game, "The Epic in Miami"  between the Chargers and the Dolphins---still to this day the greatest football game I have ever seen---I couldn't help but root for Dan Fouts' Chargers team. In an instant classic, they had beaten the Bills most hated team in an intense overtime playoff game. So, for 2 or 3 seasons after that, a San Diego Chargers pennant hung on my wall, right below my Bills pennant, and I rooted for them whenever they played. But that eventually waned. And by the time Jim Kelly joined the Bills, my fascination with San Diego had disappeared as well.

Edited by folz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

In my younger years I was an Atlanta Falcons fan. Loved Jeff George and Andre Rison and Jamal Anderson and the “dirty bird” 

I later converted to a Tennessee Titans fan with McNair and Jevon Kearse. I always followed the Bills but I’m one of the few who didn’t actually like the Super Bowl teams. 
I was never a big fan of Thurman or Kelly although I did like some of the other players. 
After the Super Bowl runs ended and the team blew up I became a much more dedicated fan. 

Interesting. That's pretty surprising.

21 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

In my younger years I was an Atlanta Falcons fan. Loved Jeff George and Andre Rison and Jamal Anderson and the “dirty bird” 

I later converted to a Tennessee Titans fan with McNair and Jevon Kearse. I always followed the Bills but I’m one of the few who didn’t actually like the Super Bowl teams. 
I was never a big fan of Thurman or Kelly although I did like some of the other players. 
After the Super Bowl runs ended and the team blew up I became a much more dedicated fan. 

This is interesting.  Most people ran away from the Bills when the team collapsed and started wandering through the desert in the 2000's.  In fact, the younger to mid aged people I have met over the past several years, who have hailed from upstate NY, are typically Patriot fans.

• Sad 1