I haven't felt this good about the "state of the Bills" since...

eball

“is this thing on? Cuz it’s about to be”

I was really excited that year. 

but it wasn’t based on anything substantial. This year, I feel a sense of direction and planning. I feel the team is a contender that is still building but could beat just about anyone 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

...the beginning of the 1990 offseason (after the first SB loss).  At that time we knew the team was outstanding and poised for continued success.

Now, of course the current version of the Bills has not accomplished anything close to that team, but my confidence level going forward is the highest it has been since that time.  Solid management in place, a really good HC who is universally respected, financial health (i.e., salary cap), a roster littered with young talent, and resources to improve even further.

I don't see how anyone could look at the Bills' organization and not say the arrow is clearly pointing up.  I don't even care about the mock drafts -- Beane & Co. have proven to me they know what they're looking for.  If a player doesn't make it, it won't be because Beane didn't do his homework.  This is a very comforting feeling to have.

I can't possibly be alone in this sentiment?

I'm high on this group. They're smart and they have a smart plan.

It'll still depend on Josh Allen, though.

I'm not nearly high enough at this point to be thinking about the 1990 offseason. That was one terrific team and Kelly was showing real mastery.

But I really do like the direction they're headed and the consistency of their progress in that direction.

21 hours ago, eball said:

...the beginning of the 1990 offseason (after the first SB loss).  At that time we knew the team was outstanding and poised for continued success.

Now, of course the current version of the Bills has not accomplished anything close to that team, but my confidence level going forward is the highest it has been since that time.  Solid management in place, a really good HC who is universally respected, financial health (i.e., salary cap), a roster littered with young talent, and resources to improve even further.

I don't see how anyone could look at the Bills' organization and not say the arrow is clearly pointing up.  I don't even care about the mock drafts -- Beane & Co. have proven to me they know what they're looking for.  If a player doesn't make it, it won't be because Beane didn't do his homework.  This is a very comforting feeling to have.

I can't possibly be alone in this sentiment?

I agree. There certainly seems to be an aura of professionalism with the Bills these days.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Bills have arrived at the fork in the road in this rebuild.  Will McBeane finally acquiesce to where the league is going and go all-in on completing the offense or try to feature a balanced team led by a strong defense?

There's a lot of talk about scoring points, but the personnel decisions need to be there these next 2 months AND they'll need to get better output from Allen, Singletary, and Knox.   

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

“is this thing on? Cuz it’s about to be”

I was really excited that year. 

but it wasn’t based on anything substantial. This year, I feel a sense of direction and planning. I feel the team is a contender that is still building but could beat just about anyone 

lol, didn't the Bills "win the offseason" that year too?

40 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I think the Bills have arrived at the fork in the road in this rebuild.  Will McBeane finally acquiesce to where the league is going and go all-in on completing the offense or try to feature a balanced team led by a strong defense?

There's a lot of talk about scoring points, but the personnel decisions need to be there these next 2 months AND they'll need to get better output from Allen, Singletary, and Knox.   

We shall see.

Fork in the road?  Geesh, you "show me" guys just keep moving the goalposts.  It's amazing how you can't even bring yourself to admit that the organization is in its best shape in a couple of decades.

Just remarkable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

We shall see.

they arrived at the fork and they better take it !

1 hour ago, eball said:

Fork in the road?  Geesh, you "show me" guys just keep moving the goalposts.  It's amazing how you can't even bring yourself to admit that the organization is in its best shape in a couple of decades.

Just remarkable.

I'm sorry you cannot tolerate others' opinions.  But I'm not surprised either. 

I'm disagreeing with your emotional stance and couching my argument based on McBeane not having completed this rebuild.  I've been very up-front that competing for championships is the goal and always has been.  Hence, why for more than decade here why I've criticized a franchise that could not get out of its own way.  That said, they are showing some signs, but 3 years is a long time in the NFL and they haven't won a playoff game.  This, as other teams have achieved this. 

Eball - we've gone back and forth for years.  I'm done trying to have a debate with you.  Have a nice day.

they can't play under the radar next year

next year is against better organizations (on paper) that will thoroughly sift the Bills strengths and weaknesses all offseason, something opponents can't do as well during last season when a Josh pops up suddenly

Edited by row_33

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

Heading into the 1989 season,  Bills had just lost the AFC title game the third season of Jim Kelly

but the year flopped ending in Cleveland with Ronnie Harmon dropping one of the easiest gimme TD passes ever

Amswers pretending Flutie was grounds for optimism is false and punishable....

You mean having a defense with all pro players at every level and a competent offense is not where you think we are? That 99 defense was great and our offense was good with Flutie

Still haven't got past the Wildcard game and how it was coached, especially the 3rd and 18 play.  Completely dumb and cause for some concern.  Too many complain about bad calls (there were a few, and there always is), but this defensive bungle did us in.

I do think they're bringing in some good talent and I like Beane.  Hope they continue to address the offense  (WR, RB) as well as both lines some more.  McD will have to beat everyone in the AFCE twice this year if he wants to win the division; I see us dropping a couple of games to the NFCW opponents, though can't drop all four.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You mean having a defense with all pro players at every level and a competent offense is not where you think we are? That 99 defense was great and our offense was good with Flutie

coming off an AFC title game loss was a million times better than anything Flutie ever dreamed of with all his extra chances in the NFL

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Still haven't got past the Wildcard game and how it was coached, especially the 3rd and 18 play.  Completely dumb and cause for some concern.  Too many complain about bad calls (there were a few, and there always is), but this defensive bungle did us in.

I do think they're bringing in some good talent and I like Beane.  Hope they continue to address the offense  (WR, RB) as well as both lines some more.  McD will have to beat everyone in the AFCE twice this year if he wants to win the division; I see us dropping a couple of games to the NFCW opponents, though can't drop all four.  

I like that you included RB, too many folks think Singletary is an every down guy. 

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm sorry you cannot tolerate others' opinions.  But I'm not surprised either. 

I'm disagreeing with your emotional stance and couching my argument based on McBeane not having completed this rebuild.  I've been very up-front that competing for championships is the goal and always has been.  Hence, why for more than decade here why I've criticized a franchise that could not get out of its own way.  That said, they are showing some signs, but 3 years is a long time in the NFL and they haven't won a playoff game.  This, as other teams have achieved this. 

Eball - we've gone back and forth for years.  I'm done trying to have a debate with you.  Have a nice day.

There’s no debate here. You’re a miserable fan who won’t acknowledge progress until a Lombardi is hoisted, which is ludicrous. I’m one of the most tolerant people you’ll never meet (that’s not a typo).

I’d wish you a nice day but I know you’re incapable of having one because somebody hasn’t lived up to your standards. 

21 hours ago, eball said:

There’s no debate here. You’re a miserable fan who won’t acknowledge progress until a Lombardi is hoisted, which is ludicrous. I’m one of the most tolerant people you’ll never meet (that’s not a typo).

I’d wish you a nice day but I know you’re incapable of having one because somebody hasn’t lived up to your standards. 

This ^^^
Unhappy people that expect perfect from everyone else and are mystified and upset by their constant state of disappointment.

oh the human race...? 

Or, man shakes fist at cloud... ? ☁️ 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply