I haven't felt this good about the "state of the Bills" since...

eball

I had the same feeling today. I was sitting in the bank drive through thinking about the draft and offseason (listening to a podcast talking about how the bills could be big movers) and realized that my excitement about it was less about what they might do, and just finding out what they will do. I’ve gotten to a point where I trust this admin to make good decisions and put us in a good spot. It’s unusual but I like it!

Heading into the 1989 season,  Bills had just lost the AFC title game the third season of Jim Kelly

but the year flopped ending in Cleveland with Ronnie Harmon dropping one of the easiest gimme TD passes ever

Amswers pretending Flutie was grounds for optimism is false and punishable....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I felt better going into the 1999 season.

We had a top ranked D AND some serious offensive weapons like Andre Reed, Quinn Early, and Thurman Thomas.

I think Coach McDermott is a really good coach and leader of men. 

Josh I'm not sold on yet.

As for Beane I  have concerns for his inability to get offensive talent in here after 3 years.  Stockpiling draft picks and trading up to take a QB project in round 1 and then not getting him top notch NFL caliber WRs to put around him and help him develop makes no sense to me.  His WR draft picks since Josh have been Ray Ray and Austin Proehl.

I'm optimistic but need to see more improvement.

Almost exactly the same. My only difference is I'm not sure McD knows offense.

If our schedule holds true without massive FA losses to some of those teams you just can't hold teams to under 17 points and get to 17 to win. The new threshold is 24 points (according to statisticians). The rules are too pro-offense to just hope the D pulls through.

I really think McD is just as much GM as Beane on the draft, but Beane does the wheeling and dealing for trades. I think their philosophies are too aligned for their strengths on defense to think this isn't the case.

I have little confidence in Daboll, optimistic hope with Allen, little confidence in Beans's drafts on offense, and strong confidence in McD's defense. I don't think that wins much anymore except in the regular season against weaker teams. I mean we won 6 games with a garbage team in 2018. I feel like we're the bowler who's awesome at spares instead of strikes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People are worried that we had too easy of a schedule this past year and its stronger this year.

I say if we can improve this offense and Josh Allen continues his progression....we can achieve another 10 and 6 season but THIS season we beat some teams in the playoffs.

Im feeling pretty good about it

Yeah I mean even last year Id say the team ALMOST caught up with the Patriots.  2 close games decided by 1 touchdown or less with them.

Its still a huge guerrilla Mc Dermott has to tackle (0-6 in 3 years) but you can certainly make the case the Bills will over take them 

1 hour ago, eball said:

@Chandler#81 and @Lurker -- just to be clear, again, I'm not comparing the rosters and/or accomplishments of the two teams (1990 and 2018) -- I'm comparing my feeling right now that the organization is in good shape to how I felt after that first Super Bowl loss.  It's a calm, confident feeling that I don't think this management group (Pegula/Beane/McD) will screw things up and we are in line for many good years to come.

Yep, and at least in my mind it should come with the caveat that not everything will be perfect. They will miss on a few draft picks, maybe overpay for a FA who doesn’t really work out (yes, I may be thinking of a particular DE), fail to pick a guy who goes wild as a rookie, etc. OVERALL, the balance of things will be very positive and it makes me optimistic. I can overlook those who will harp on every little miscue while they ignore the big picture. 

It’s not about being a better team, it’s how you feel about our future as a team. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Almost exactly the same. My only difference is I'm not sure McD knows offense.

I don't  think  he does.  Since he took over our O has stunk.  Stink.  Stank.  Stunk.  When he took over it was top 10  two years in a row.  As the HC, it's on him first.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills going into the 1990 season were still considered the “Bickering Bills” and were coming off the Ronnie Harmon Memorial playoff loss to Cleveland.

A lot of folks, including Bills fans, did not have high hopes heading into 1990 if you remember and a lot of the so called experts picked Miami to win the AFC East. It all got exasperated with a terrible loss at Miami in week two. But the rest is easy.

Even with Bruce Smith not being on the field, I’d say 1991 is the last season where we should have felt really good going into it. I mean, SUPREMELY confident the SB were championship material.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The Bills going into the 1990 season were still considered the “Bickering Bills” and were coming off the Ronnie Harmon Memorial playoff loss to Cleveland.

A lot of folks, including Bills fans, did not have high hopes heading into 1990 if you remember and a lot of the so called experts picked Miami to win the AFC East. It all got exasperated with a terrible loss at Miami in week two. But the rest is easy.

Even with Bruce Smith not being on the field, I’d say 1991 is the last season where we should have felt really good going into it. I mean, SUPREMELY confident the SB were championship material.

umm, yeah, that’s what I said. Re-read the OP. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

...the beginning of the 1990 offseason (after the first SB loss).  At that time we knew the team was outstanding and poised for continued success.

Now, of course the current version of the Bills has not accomplished anything close to that team, but my confidence level going forward is the highest it has been since that time.  Solid management in place, a really good HC who is universally respected, financial health (i.e., salary cap), a roster littered with young talent, and resources to improve even further.

I don't see how anyone could look at the Bills' organization and not say the arrow is clearly pointing up.  I don't even care about the mock drafts -- Beane & Co. have proven to me they know what they're looking for.  If a player doesn't make it, it won't be because Beane didn't do his homework.  This is a very comforting feeling to have.

I can't possibly be alone in this sentiment?

No sir, you are definitely not alone in this sentiment!

Clapping Applause GIF by ABC Network

5 hours ago, eball said:

...the beginning of the 1990 offseason (after the first SB loss).  At that time we knew the team was outstanding and poised for continued success.

Now, of course the current version of the Bills has not accomplished anything close to that team, but my confidence level going forward is the highest it has been since that time.  Solid management in place, a really good HC who is universally respected, financial health (i.e., salary cap), a roster littered with young talent, and resources to improve even further.

I don't see how anyone could look at the Bills' organization and not say the arrow is clearly pointing up.  I don't even care about the mock drafts -- Beane & Co. have proven to me they know what they're looking for.  If a player doesn't make it, it won't be because Beane didn't do his homework.  This is a very comforting feeling to have.

I can't possibly be alone in this sentiment?

I thought it was just me. I have not even done searches for them let alone read them. This is the first year in as long as i can remember. I think it is because of the level of trust they have built for the fans.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Heading into the 1989 season,  Bills had just lost the AFC title game the third season of Jim Kelly

but the year flopped ending in Cleveland with Ronnie Harmon dropping one of the easiest gimme TD passes ever

Amswers pretending Flutie was grounds for optimism is false and punishable....

The excitement heading into 99 wasn't really about Flutie(from a practical perspective). This was a different era of football in which QB's weren't as prolific and the run game/defense mattered quite a bit more. Moulds had already established himself as a beast and Antoine Smith looked like a stud in the making. 

It was the defense and Wade Phillips that really created the optimism. Wade had a brief stint in Denver as a HC, but 1998 was the first time he was given full reign. We came within one play of winning a playoff game after starting 0-3 during his first year as HC with the Bills. There was tons of optimism because they had some serious weapons at WR/RB and a DOMINATING defense.

We also hadn't experienced the drought, so there wasn't the same level of cynicism, at least for me personally.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

very good.  I'd agree 1990.  I trust that the FO will look at everyone, and make smart decisions as to whether or not to acquire that player.  Also we appear to be good at QB and RB, have promise at TE, good at LB and DT, and in the secondary.  Just need a few playmakers on offense and solidify the OL.  (OL in the first would not shock me).  

Good post.  I think we are going in the right direction with SMART people in control!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely 2003 when we beat the Pats 31-0 at home to start the season.  Bledsoe and Travis Henry were coming off a pro bowl years.  We upgraded our defense with the signings of Spikes, Milloy, and Adams.  We had Winfield and Clements as our starting corners.  I still for some reason thought Josh Reed and James Hardy would easily make up for the loss of Peeless Price.  I didn't realize Gregg Williams was completely inept as a head coach yet so forgive me.

Edited by Doc Brown