Would you make a trade for Alshon Jeffery?

On 2/26/2020 at 7:02 PM, thebandit27 said:

Anyone care that the Eagles would take a $400k cap hit in addition to what they already owe Jeffery if they trade him?

This ain’t happenin’

So since I've been one of the people beating that drum, there is this report:

NFL combine notes: Inside the Eagles’ pending decisions on Jason Peters, Malcolm Jenkins, and Alshon Jeffery - Inquirer
If there is anyone who thought the wide receiver would return next season, the combine wasn’t the place to go searching for that person. The overwhelming consensus was that Jeffery, despite the salary cap hit, his foot injury, and the Eagles’ lack of talent at receiver, wouldn’t be wearing midnight green in 2020. While there may never be any proof that he was behind the anonymous quotes to ESPN criticizing Wentz and the Eagles offense, many inside the NovaCare Complex believe he was the source. Shortly after the report, a prominent player on offense confronted Jeffery to the point where they had to be separated. Wentz doesn’t necessarily have any problem with Jeffery. On the surface they get along fine, which could be one reason Pederson denied Tuesday that there was any friction between the two. But the receiver and quarterback have lacked chemistry on the field and their relationship off it has increasingly turned frosty.

Whatever the degree, Eagles staffers understand that the perception of disharmony alone will likely force Roseman’s hand, even if he has to eat $26 million in dead money.

Jeffery might have had a shot of sticking had he been performing at a high level. But the 30-year-old has regressed and can’t stay healthy after the anomaly of playing 16 games in 2017 as he worked toward a new contract. The opinion of some influential Eagles evaluators is that his skills have deteriorated.

All that would suggest the Eagles should just take their medicine and release him, but if the players vote to approve a new CBA in the coming weeks, the team would be able to cut him with a “post-June 1 designation” that would allow them to spread some of the dead money into future years.

A lot of due-diligence to look at with a trade, there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So since I've been one of the people beating that drum, there is this report:

NFL combine notes: Inside the Eagles’ pending decisions on Jason Peters, Malcolm Jenkins, and Alshon Jeffery - Inquirer
If there is anyone who thought the wide receiver would return next season, the combine wasn’t the place to go searching for that person. The overwhelming consensus was that Jeffery, despite the salary cap hit, his foot injury, and the Eagles’ lack of talent at receiver, wouldn’t be wearing midnight green in 2020. While there may never be any proof that he was behind the anonymous quotes to ESPN criticizing Wentz and the Eagles offense, many inside the NovaCare Complex believe he was the source. Shortly after the report, a prominent player on offense confronted Jeffery to the point where they had to be separated. Wentz doesn’t necessarily have any problem with Jeffery. On the surface they get along fine, which could be one reason Pederson denied Tuesday that there was any friction between the two. But the receiver and quarterback have lacked chemistry on the field and their relationship off it has increasingly turned frosty.

Whatever the degree, Eagles staffers understand that the perception of disharmony alone will likely force Roseman’s hand, even if he has to eat $26 million in dead money.

Jeffery might have had a shot of sticking had he been performing at a high level. But the 30-year-old has regressed and can’t stay healthy after the anomaly of playing 16 games in 2017 as he worked toward a new contract. The opinion of some influential Eagles evaluators is that his skills have deteriorated.

All that would suggest the Eagles should just take their medicine and release him, but if the players vote to approve a new CBA in the coming weeks, the team would be able to cut him with a “post-June 1 designation” that would allow them to spread some of the dead money into future years.

A lot of due-diligence to look at with a trade, there. 

Interesting...and if true, it makes him a very intriguing buy-low guy.

Thanks Hap.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One of our 5ths and a conditional future pick that can get up to a 3rd if certain production measures are met?

If he's healthy, 5th and a 6th would work for me.  

But, need to understand what he's really got left physically at age 30 and coming off a season where he missed 6 games.  He's still got a $9.9M salary this year and $12.75M next.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

5th and a future 6th that can increase to a 5th with production milestones.

I think it might take more than that. How about we split the difference.... a 2020 5th and a 2021 5th that becomes a 4th if production measures are met?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it might take more than that. How about we split the difference.... a 2020 5th and a 2021 5th that becomes a 4th if production measures are met?

I think he's done and not a process guy, so it's a hard no for me.

If cut on a one year prove it deal I could live with it, but trading for that contract is insane being he appears done and the Eagles will most likely cut him.

11 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I think he's done and not a process guy, so it's a hard no for me.

If cut on a one year prove it deal I could live with it, but trading for that contract is insane being he appears done and the Eagles will most likely cut him.

Just looked and saw he still has $10m dead cap hit if he is cut after 2020..... that would worry me too. I presumed after 2020 you'd be able to get out relatively cheaply.

11 minutes ago, skibum said:

Why make trades when you have $82 million in cap space to work with? Just buy free agents and keep your existing assets. 

He's better than the free agent WRs available, but i don't think it makes financial sense for them to trade him.  They restructured his contract to lower his cap hit a couple of years ago... time to pay the piper.  You're stuck with him.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just looked and saw he still has $10m dead cap hit if he is cut after 2020..... that would worry me too. I presumed after 2020 you'd be able to get out relatively cheaply.

Well the team acquiring him wouldnt be on the hook for that.  He has signing bonus, restructure bonus, and all sorts of other money tied up through 2021.  If buffalo traded for him i think they would just owe him 1 million which is guaranteed for 2021 if they wanted to part ways.  

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Well the team acquiring him wouldnt be on the hook for that.  He has signing bonus, restructure bonus, and all sorts of other money tied up through 2021.  If buffalo traded for him i think they would just owe him 1 million which is guaranteed for 2021 if they wanted to part ways.  

Ah. Thanks. I only looked at the spotrac page for 30 seconds on my phone in a meeting. That makes it much more feasible. 

On 2/26/2020 at 2:01 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Heard/read rumors that Philly might put him on the block for the right price. I’d say no more than a 4th round maybe a 5th round pick. Thoughts?? 

Thoughts ?? Drugs are bad !!