I’m glad we made the playoffs before the new CBA

Virgil

24 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Why is this even a discussion?  We made it in and that’s that.  2 of 3 years, with hopefully many more to come and very hopeful this will be true.  How about we forget about the wretched past, and focus on what we’re going to do.  I do agree with the poster that I want to see Brady come back to the Pats and kick his ass twice.  Sorry mods, but I hope I get a pass as it’s Brady.   Nothing would be better than 8 on avg. hits, four sacks a couple of pick six’s and just humiliate him and the Evil Emperor.  I’d love to see him throw another tablet into the garbage can like a couple of years ago.  That was worth the price of admission.

Getting into the playoffs in 2 of 3 years makes a big difference IMO.  The thing about 2017 was not so much getting in at 9-7 as it was the team’s/offense’s/Tyrod’s performance there.  It really drove home the perception that we didn’t belong.

But in 2019 we were 10-6 and were in a playoff game that went well into OT.  We looked like a playoff worthy team.  We looked like a team that had some question marks and needs, but one that was ascending.

If 2017 had been the high water mark of this team, then breaking the playoff drought would feel pretty hollow.  But taken in a larger context with the changeovers in player personnel and staff made since then - and specifically what we saw in 2019 - I think there’s a lot to love about this team’s trajectory. 

Edited by BarleyNY

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

I may be alone here, but I’m actually thankful the Bills made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years before the new 17 game CBA kicks in.  I feel like, if we had ended the drought before the extra game and extra playoff teams added in, it would have cheapened ending the drought.  I think we would have heard it from other fans that it wouldn’t haven’t counted the same.  

It’s dumb. It’s posturing.  Either way, I’m glad we got in the right way and did it twice, so it wasn’t a fluke. 

Agreed. This occurred to me when the "17 games" inevitability was announced.

And like you say, the Bills not only got in -- they got in TWICE. 

?

20 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

I'm still waiting for the Bills to break the "last playoff win was 1995 drought". We need to get that monkey off our backs and eliminate this as something the national "experts" can continually throw back in our faces. If that is cheapened by the new CBA, so be it.

hosting a home game in the playoffs is the misery index

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

I may be alone here, but I’m actually thankful the Bills made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years before the new 17 game CBA kicks in.  I feel like, if we had ended the drought before the extra game and extra playoff teams added in, it would have cheapened ending the drought.  I think we would have heard it from other fans that it wouldn’t haven’t counted the same.  

It’s dumb. It’s posturing.  Either way, I’m glad we got in the right way and did it twice, so it wasn’t a fluke. 

I get what you're saying, but 2017 was still a fluke.

18 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Well over the years, numerous teams made the playoffs based on the outcome of what other teams did in the final game of the season.

the Bills had already tanked the season and started Peterman or Peterson or Peterwhatever

and when he threw 5 INTs they decided to untank and try again

a perfect storm of fluke and luck and undeservedness

Yes...YES!!  The Bills should never make the playoffs again so that the purity of their 2 appearances this century may be preserved!!

No one was calling it "cheapened" when the Bills ass-in off a Cincy miracle win in 2017.

No one will care if they get in after the CBA because of.. whatever the OP is talking about. 

20 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Wasn't 2017 a backdoor cheap way to get in anyway? 

You can't win it all if you don't get in, so I'm all for more in to see how it goes.

Hate this line of thinking.

If that Bengals loss had happened in week 4, instead of week 17, Buf would have clinched with their win alone in week 17.

The 6 teams that make the playoffs make it because of the mathematical process used to determine who gets in.

Just because that math was decided with a flourish, on the last second, of the last game, of the last week, doesn't make the math any less valid.

They were one of the 6 best teams in the AFC that year. Period.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Wasn't 2017 a backdoor cheap way to get in anyway? 

You can't win it all if you don't get in, so I'm all for more in to see how it goes.

No.  Every week 17 game matters exactly the same as every other week.  If ONE of the other dozens of games on the schedule weeks 1-16 go differently, you're not saying that.  Was the overtime snow thriller against Indy also cheap and backdoor?

15 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Hate this line of thinking.

If that Bengals loss had happened in week 4, instead of week 17, Buf would have clinched with their win alone in week 17.

The 6 teams that make the playoffs make it because of the mathematical process used to determine who gets in.

Just because that math was decided with a flourish, on the last second, of the last game, of the last week, doesn't make the math any less valid.

They were one of the 6 best teams in the AFC that year. Period.

It's like saying of the $100 in my pocket, only the last dollar is worth the whole thing.  Guess I can clear space in my wallet by throwing out the first $99!

• Like (+1) 1