Replacing WILL Lorenzo Alexander: How about Vontaze Burfict? - recently reinstated

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

He is not even that good anymore. This is 2020, not 2013. The guy hasn't played a full season in forever. 

I love the off season. Nothing more fun than pawing through all the "Oh, look, a name I recognize..." FA posts. 

I think there should be a fine imposed on anyone who, between now and August 1st, uses any of the following phrases in a post:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

7. locker room headache/cancer

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

10. so and so is a great athlete

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

Feel free to add your own. 

17 fines for you.  Let Mikey do it. He likes fines.

3 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I think the OP is serious. But then again, nobody is Berfict!

Vontaze is...... But no. I don't think so. 

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

He is not even that good anymore. This is 2020, not 2013. The guy hasn't played a full season in forever. 

I love the off season. Nothing more fun than pawing through all the "Oh, look, a name I recognize..." FA posts. 

I think there should be a fine imposed on anyone who, between now and August 1st, uses any of the following phrases in a post:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

18) Now hear me out

• Haha (+1) 1

Process guy? Really strains the definition of process, imho. And if you think we get jobbed by the refs now, wait what would happen in that regard with VB on the field for us...rightly or wrongly, mostly rightly, he would never get the benefit of the doubt in any situation such that I could see him drawing flags in the most inopportune times for losing his cool etc.; it’s a big time no thanks for me please. 

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/vontaze-burfict-reinstated-after-12game-suspension

One of the greatest linebacker talents in all of football. Lockdown run defender, very decent in pass coverage and, most importantly, never misses a tackle. And, he can play ILB pretty well too - so insurance if Edmunds has to sit for some reason. Very very smart football mind. If it works out, he wont just replace Lorax - he will be a huge upgrade over Lorax. Can likely be had for cheap.

The flip side is his "head" - he plays recklessly and has racked up over 4 million in fines. Several opposing players have called him dirty and that name has merit. However, his teammates have always said great things about him - he is a "process" McD kinda guy who will do his 1/11. If he is serious about improving his conduct by eschewing dirty plays - he might turn out to be the best signing of the offseason. I also have faith that our defense's discipline with McD & Frazier at the helm can really help him out.

Anyway, he could likely be had for 2-3 mill per year without significant guarantees - so I dont see any downside from trying him out.

Lol "one of the greatest LB talents in the game.". Can't tell as he has missed over 49 games the past 6 seasons.  The best ability is availability.  

Old Marv Levy used to say "don't be dumb and don't be dirty". This guy is both.  The only process he is familiar with is appearing at NFL HQs to get his fines and suspension.   Plus he can't rush the passer and is slower than Preston Brown.  

EZ Pass. 

Edited by freddyjj

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

Vontaze Burfict would serve as a valuable mentor to our younger, less rule-breaking LBs.

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

Sign him to a cheap “prove it” contract.  (Said about established players like A.J. Green.)

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

In the context of this thread, "head case."

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/vontaze-burfict-reinstated-after-12game-suspension

One of the greatest linebacker talents in all of football. Lockdown run defender, very decent in pass coverage and, most importantly, never misses a tackle. And, he can play ILB pretty well too - so insurance if Edmunds has to sit for some reason. Very very smart football mind. If it works out, he wont just replace Lorax - he will be a huge upgrade over Lorax. Can likely be had for cheap.

The flip side is his "head" - he plays recklessly and has racked up over 4 million in fines. Several opposing players have called him dirty and that name has merit. However, his teammates have always said great things about him - he is a "process" McD kinda guy who will do his 1/11. If he is serious about improving his conduct by eschewing dirty plays - he might turn out to be the best signing of the offseason. I also have faith that our defense's discipline with McD & Frazier at the helm can really help him out.

Anyway, he could likely be had for 2-3 mill per year without significant guarantees - so I dont see any downside from trying him out.

I was ready to totally disagree, but you at least edged me over towards the "possibly" area.

I've never thought he wanted to change. If he actually does, I guess maybe.

Many here say he's never been a process guy, and I would disagree with that, though it's definitional. Certainly his fines and penalties aren't the kind of guy they've ever wanted. But in terms of how hard he works and how good he is in the locker room, how football smart he is, yeah, he has always seemed to me like a process guy, though a wasted one I never wanted on my team.

If he has actually changed, maybe. I doubt it would happen and I don't think I want it either, nor am I sure he fits this defense. But at least I can imagine it now.

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t see him fitting in there but I’m remembering him as a liability in Coverage. ( and I mean in addition the head hunting) 

Yeah, this is a question I have. Don't remember if he can cover, but he might not even fit this defense. Might not even be worth asking the question. McDermott does want very athletic guys.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is a history of his dirty play, including a story of him trying to take out Matt Barkley's knees in high school when they were the top 2 recruits in Cali. https://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/18/13351854/vontaze-burfict-history-cincinnati-bengals-asu-personal-fouls

I remember what a scumbag he was in college too. Wife and I live in Eugene, follow and attend U of O sports. She ran track for the Ducks when we met at U of O many years ago. 

Burfict has been a dirty player his whole life and I say ***** no to him being a Buffalo Bill.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1