Replacing WILL Lorenzo Alexander: How about Vontaze Burfict? - recently reinstated

we were Richie Incognito's second or third chance.  He was good here.  Burfict could be good, I have no clue if he can control himself.  If the Bills bring him in I trust they've done their homework.  Nice to feel this way about a FO.  I hope we look into it, and then make an informed decision.  

Just now, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes. For that matter, even Ogletree - who was the Giants Team Captain last year - had a DUI and a drug suspension coming out of college. And the Bills were certainly seriously considering adding Antonio Brown last off-season. So it is not like McBeane only go for saints (no pun there). I certainly think Beane should do his due diligence on Burfict. He may choose to pass - but it is not as clear cut a No as a majority of the posters appear to believe.

I'd take a couple of the Saints players~! 

• Like (+1) 1

He is not even that good anymore. This is 2020, not 2013. The guy hasn't played a full season in forever. 

I love the off season. Nothing more fun than pawing through all the "Oh, look, a name I recognize..." FA posts. 

I think there should be a fine imposed on anyone who, between now and August 1st, uses any of the following phrases in a post:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

7. locker room headache/cancer

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

10. so and so is a great athlete

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

Feel free to add your own. 

7 minutes ago, Mickey said:

He is not even that good anymore. This is 2020, not 2013. The guy hasn't played a full season in forever. 

I love the off season. Nothing more fun than pawing through all the "Oh, look, a name I recognize..." FA posts. 

I think there should be a fine imposed on anyone who, between now and August 1st, uses any of the following phrases in a post:

1. kick the tires

2. change of scenery

3. lunch pail guy

4. veteran leadership

5. high motor

6. takes plays off

7. locker room headache/cancer

8. downhill runner

9. road grader

10. so and so is a great athlete

11. stretches the field

12. character issues

13. tremendous upside

14. high character guy

15. great ball skills

16. sneaky fast

17. plays well in space

Feel free to add your own. 

Does this one count, “ he was a raw talent coming out” or maybe anything to do with being precise vs accurate.... 

?

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Talk about a culture killer and cancer to the team as a whole. Abso-freakin-lutely not.....:censored:

His on field recklessness does not make him a team cancer or culture killer. On the contrary, teammates have gone out of the way to say what a great teammate he was. Here is his long time coach Marvin Lewis talking about him:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/22/marvin-lewis-explains-why-bengals-took-risk-vontaze-burfict/

Lewis went on in the interview to note what a great person Burfict is off the field, which was always the case during his time in Cincinnati.

Looks like Burfict has also. on occasion, been unfairly targeted by the NFL.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2670675-marvin-lewis-defends-vontaze-burfict-after-lb-receives-75000-fine

"I don't think he did anything wrong," Lewis said. "We were not in the wrong here, in my opinion. And it's unfortunate. That's what I have told and stood on and will continue to. ... I don't think he meant to do anything."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730300-marvin-lewis-says-vontaze-burfict-has-changed-as-lb-faces-5-game-suspension

Burfict hit Sherman when he was not the intended receiver on a passing play, but Lewis said none of the defenseless receiver rules should have come into effect in that instance. He believes the linebacker holds a strong case to get the suspension reduced or removed, per Terrell.

"Sometimes in interpretation things got lost, and hopefully Vontaze will prevail," Lewis said.

Here is Derek Carr on what kind of teammate Burfict (didnt know Burfict was a team captain) was:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/derek-carr-passionately-defends-suspended-raiders-lb-vontaze-burfict

Raiders players stuck up for their captain and defensive field general, saying he wasn’t the vicious aggressor he’s notorious for being.

Quarterback Derek Carr, who always toes the company line and gives at times politically correct answers, was passionate and vocal in Burfict’s defense.

“The hard thing for me to understand is we say we are all about people, but sometimes we don’t get to know people,” Carr said. “I think he’s one of the most misunderstood people in the NFL. I didn’t know anything about him except what some friends who are from L.A. and played high school football with him told me. And when he showed up, he quickly turned into one of my favorite teammates I’ve ever had. He’s one of the most genuine, awesome people I’ve ever been around. He’s a great teammate, he works his tail off and he’s a great guy to be honest with you. I know that he’s had history at places, but I think people change.”

“I don’t think he was trying to hurt that man,” Carr said. “That man was going down, you see it all the time. There are flags flying everywhere, but if we think about football, the guy caught it here and he’s already going to hit him and he’s starting to go down. Obviously, you are going to hit him a little higher than you expected. We see other people choking people out and they’re going to play this Sunday. We see people hitting people in the helmets and they’re going to play this Sunday, and Vontaze Burfict won’t play the rest of the year. I think that’s a little excessive if you ask me.”

“He’s a great person, his heart is broken because he’s not playing football,” Carr said. “The guy just wants to play football. We don’t get a lot of time to play this game in our lives. Some of us don’t get a lot of years to do this. I’ve broken many of bones, I’m sure he’s had plenty of injuries, so to end it for something like that for a whole season, it puts another year on your legs. There’s a lot that goes into that, and that I guess we just throw out the window. I know the history situation and all that kind of stuff, but this one, especially with what went on during the week, if we are going to fair, we need to be fair with everybody.”

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I haven’t seen Beane or McDermott bring in a ‘second’ chance player yet. There is a first time for everything.

Does Seattle run a scheme how would be good in?

I don’t see him fitting in there but I’m remembering him as a liability in Coverage. ( and I mean in addition the head hunting) 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes. For that matter, even Ogletree - who was the Giants Team Captain last year - had a DUI and a drug suspension coming out of college. And the Bills were certainly seriously considering adding Antonio Brown last off-season. So it is not like McBeane only go for saints (no pun there). I certainly think Beane should do his due diligence on Burfict. He may choose to pass - but it is not as clear cut a No as a majority of the posters appear to believe.

Thanks. I am not arguing, for me I see Burfict as a different player than Brown, even more so when Beane called about Brown last year. How is Burfict in the locker room?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

30 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

His on field recklessness does not make him a team cancer or culture killer. On the contrary, teammates have gone out of the way to say what a great teammate he was. Here is his long time coach Marvin Lewis talking about him:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/22/marvin-lewis-explains-why-bengals-took-risk-vontaze-burfict/

Looks like Burfict has also. on occasion, been unfairly targeted by the NFL.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2670675-marvin-lewis-defends-vontaze-burfict-after-lb-receives-75000-fine

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730300-marvin-lewis-says-vontaze-burfict-has-changed-as-lb-faces-5-game-suspension

No, he is the exact type of player the Bills want to avoid. Forget about what a great teammate he is, because his true character comes through time and again when he takes really unnecessary shots on opposing players and causes injury or serious risk of injury. 

If Burfict would have played back in the day with Butkis, Nagerski, or Deacon Jones he would have been one of the best that ever player because that's the way they all played back then, every play they tried to rip some ones head off but today game for obvious reasons is much different .

I have always liked Burfict for his passion of the game & how he plays his position but his actions on the field aren't real good wasn't he the one that tagged AB ? That dud e has never been right in the head ever since !! 

If he is serious about not being the player he was & playing the game with in the parameters set up in the rules i think he would be a great get & could be a leader in the locker room but i don't see McD taking the chance given his history .

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/vontaze-burfict-reinstated-after-12game-suspension

One of the greatest linebacker talents in all of football. Lockdown run defender, very decent in pass coverage and, most importantly, never misses a tackle. And, he can play ILB pretty well too - so insurance if Edmunds has to sit for some reason. Very very smart football mind. If it works out, he wont just replace Lorax - he will be a huge upgrade over Lorax. Can likely be had for cheap.

The flip side is his "head" - he plays recklessly and has racked up over 4 million in fines. Several opposing players have called him dirty and that name has merit. However, his teammates have always said great things about him - he is a "process" McD kinda guy who will do his 1/11. If he is serious about improving his conduct by eschewing dirty plays - he might turn out to be the best signing of the offseason. I also have faith that our defense's discipline with McD & Frazier at the helm can really help him out.

Anyway, he could likely be had for 2-3 mill per year without significant guarantees - so I dont see any downside from trying him out.

You do realize there's no monetary compensation on this message board for clicks, right?

I state this because from what we know of Burfict both on the collegiate and pro level and what we have in McBeane, how would this compute as a good idea?

The guy's a head case and has no place in the NFL. 

50 minutes ago, T master said:

If Burfict would have played back in the day with Butkis, Nagerski, or Deacon Jones he would have been one of the best that ever player because that's the way they all played back then, every play they tried to rip some ones head off but today game for obvious reasons is much different .

I have always liked Burfict for his passion of the game & how he plays his position but his actions on the field aren't real good wasn't he the one that tagged AB ? That dud e has never been right in the head ever since !! 

If he is serious about not being the player he was & playing the game with in the parameters set up in the rules i think he would be a great get & could be a leader in the locker room but i don't see McD taking the chance given his history .

I have a differing view....

A lot of players could be Butfict-like but they just choose to play the game clean.  Playing dirty shouldn’t earn earn someone a comparison to Butkus, Nagerski or Jones. Those players were excellent in an era when player safety was of no concern. Burfict has never been excellent.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...anybody have "Stomp" Haynesworth on speed dial?........

Taking your comparison a step further - Haynesworth actually had his only two All-Pro seasons exactly the season after the "stomping" incident. So, you are saying Burfict has a chance at an All-Pro season if signed by the Bills??

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Taking your comparison a step further - Haynesworth actually had his only two All-Pro seasons exactly the season after the "stomping" incident. So, you are saying Burfict has a chance at an All-Pro season if signed by the Bills??

...All Preparation-H Team......honorable mention to the "Excedrin Headache Club".......quite the intriguing Fisher-Price wi fi thread, right?....YAWN...BTW, is Ray Carruth out yet?............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This guy has missed almost 20% of his NFL career due to suspensions. We constantly complain on here about guys who are always injured (myself included) and can't make it on the field. This guy chooses (with his actions) time and time again that he doesn't have restraint when he plays. Also, I am sick of defending Bills players that have character issues because of how talented they are, and in the long-run, they end up hurting the team (Marcell Dareus comes to mind).