Replacing WILL Lorenzo Alexander: How about Vontaze Burfict? - recently reinstated

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/vontaze-burfict-reinstated-after-12game-suspension

Burfict is training at his alma mater, Arizona State, where his former Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is serving as a co-defensive coordinator.

Burfict's agent, Peter Schaffer, told Pelissero the linebacker has spent the offseason watching tape and speaking to coaches, league executives and additional experts about proper code of conduct.

"He is serious, Shaffer said, about coming back and doing things the right way," he added.

One of the greatest linebacker talents in all of football. Lockdown run defender, very decent in pass coverage and, most importantly, never misses a tackle. And, he can play ILB pretty well too - so insurance if Edmunds has to sit for some reason. Very very smart football mind. If it works out, he wont just replace Lorax - he will be a huge upgrade over Lorax. Can likely be had for cheap.

The flip side is his "head" - he plays recklessly and has racked up over 4 million in fines. Several opposing players have called him dirty and that name has merit. However, his teammates have always said great things about him - he is a "process" McD kinda guy who will do his 1/11. If he is serious about improving his conduct by eschewing dirty plays - he might turn out to be the best signing of the offseason. I also have faith that our defense's discipline with McD & Frazier at the helm can really help him out.

Anyway, he could likely be had for 2-3 mill per year without significant guarantees - so I dont see any downside from trying him out.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha (+1) 7

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I haven’t seen Beane or McDermott bring in a ‘second’ chance player yet. There is a first time for everything.

Does Seattle run a scheme how would be good in?

Tyrel Dodson

• Like (+1) 1

McD on Burfict:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/things-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-had-say-about-the-bengals/CjA1AHM00wq76SAu1FxwWI/

They certainly have a talented back end, a veteran back end, and led by Vontaze Burfict in the middle,” McDermott said. “A lot of it goes through No. 55 (Burfict) and his role in this defense is a big part of their success and I think the continuity they’ve had is key as well, in particular in the middle with Vontaze and some of the secondary positions also.

22 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/vontaze-burfict-reinstated-after-12game-suspension

One of the greatest linebacker talents in all of football. Lockdown run defender, very decent in pass coverage and, most importantly, never misses a tackle. And, he can play ILB pretty well too - so insurance if Edmunds has to sit for some reason. Very very smart football mind. If it works out, he wont just replace Lorax - he will be a huge upgrade over Lorax. Can likely be had for cheap.

The flip side is his "head" - he plays recklessly and has racked up over 4 million in fines. Several opposing players have called him dirty and that name has merit. However, his teammates have always said great things about him - he is a "process" McD kinda guy who will do his 1/11. If he is serious about improving his conduct by eschewing dirty plays - he might turn out to be the best signing of the offseason. I also have faith that our defense's discipline with McD & Frazier at the helm can really help him out.

Anyway, he could likely be had for 2-3 mill per year without significant guarantees - so I dont see any downside from trying him out.

Surely you can't be serious.......

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I was speaking about character or discipline issues. Dodson is fair. Why do you bring up Duke? Because of college? 

Yes. For that matter, even Ogletree - who was the Giants Team Captain last year - had a DUI and a drug suspension coming out of college. And the Bills were certainly seriously considering adding Antonio Brown last off-season. So it is not like McBeane only go for saints (no pun there). I certainly think Beane should do his due diligence on Burfict. He may choose to pass - but it is not as clear cut a No as a majority of the posters appear to believe.