Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame

OnTheRocks

I haven't posted on this board in years, so I'm not sure if this topic has been posted recently.

I was reviewing the list of players and other members of the front office named on the Bills Wall of Fame and I got to wondering what other names you would like to see named?

Here's five that I would like to see added:

1. Chuck Knox - At the time, he brought respect to the organization the moment he was named HC, after a decade plus of disastrous play.

2. Lou Saban - He lead the team to two AFL Championships.  Enough said.

3. Bobby Chandler - My sentimental pick. As a guy that grew up in the 70's he was the guy that I always mimicked when playing ball in the backyard.

4. Rueben Brown - 9X Pro Bowl Guard from the post Super Bowl Era.

5. Cornelius Bennett - The missing link needed on defense to put the organization of  the hump and bring 4 consecutive AFC Titles.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

HI:

Welcome back.

I agree with you on all of your recommendations with the exception of Chuck Knox.  He was 37-36 as head coach of the Bills (if my math is correct).  He had two winning seasons 80 (11 - 5) and 81(10-6).  Knox was 1-3 in playoff games.  The Bills actually had just two losing seasons prior to Knox being hired.

Though he was a big name hire, his time in buffalo was moderately successful.  Not wall of fame material in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

You had me at Bobby Chandler#81.

Seriously, all are worthy. It’s because of Ralph’s pettiness that Knox and Trader Lou aren’t up there. Pegs can right an old wrong.

Not sure, but I think Biscuit’s questionable dalliances may contribute to the delay. He was certainly an important cog and great field legacy!

Don’t stay away so long!

359F5DAC-A5AC-4C1C-8CF1-B1381CD5D03F.jpeg

E0498A2F-E9C3-424D-AC93-5EC8F48844C8.jpeg

15711E0D-0F71-484D-95A2-8F07965F54BA.jpeg

C25651DF-6294-403B-A15D-3E4000C7680B.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lou Saban was inducted to the Wall of Fame in 2015.

Bob Chandler - good story, fan favorite, stats aren't that great. On team for 9 years, was injured 1, so 8 seasons, had 295 receptions (37/year) for 3,999 yards (500/yr). High in yards for 1 season was 824. Wall of good, not wall of fame. 

In comparison, Eric Moulds is not on Wall of Fame yet and he had 675 catches for 9,096 yards so he's double that of Chandler. He is the next guy that should go in. 

Chuck Knox I say no because of record 37-36 isn't anything special. He's more name recognition. 

Ruben Brown and Bennett I would be good with. Phil Hansen is in with 61 sacks, Schobel had 78 so he probably deserves a look. 

• Like (+1) 1

Oj wasnt found guilty so it would be ridiculous to remove him. 

“Oh well, we know he was found not guilty by the court system and his peers but we don’t believe it, so...”

That’s not how it works. You can’t just decide you don’t believe something your court system decided and arbitrarily strip someone of all their accomplishments. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

“Oh well, we know he was found not guilty by the court system and his peers but we don’t believe it, so...”

That’s not how it works. You can’t just decide you don’t believe something your court system decided and arbitrarily strip someone of all their accomplishments. 

The NFL's policy doesnt require a court conviction to determine conduct detrimental to the league. They are their own private company free to make their own rules, so they totally can decide to strip someone of their accomplishments as they see fit.

Plus, he's since spent time in jail for other actions.

Take him down.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

56 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Lou Saban was inducted to the Wall of Fame in 2015.

Bob Chandler - good story, fan favorite, stats aren't that great. On team for 9 years, was injured 1, so 8 seasons, had 295 receptions (37/year) for 3,999 yards (500/yr). High in yards for 1 season was 824. Wall of good, not wall of fame. 

In comparison, Eric Moulds is not on Wall of Fame yet and he had 675 catches for 9,096 yards so he's double that of Chandler. He is the next guy that should go in. 

Chuck Knox I say no because of record 37-36 isn't anything special. He's more name recognition. 

Ruben Brown and Bennett I would be good with. Phil Hansen is in with 61 sacks, Schobel had 78 so he probably deserves a look. 

Good catch on Saban.  I had no memory of him being added. 

I disagree on Chandler.  He played in a different era.  I would agree he wasn't a great all time NFL player,. but I think he belongs with the great all time Bills.

I guess i would have to reconsider Knox.  The 1980 team was my all-time favorite year as a Bills fan, and my memory of that season has likely sugar coated my opinion of him.

Byrd, Hansen and Schobel are also all good choices.

• Like (+1) 1

Knox turned the franchise around quickly, as he did in LA & Seattle. In 3 seasons, we went from laughing stock to Division Champs. Bermuda Triangle, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, Joe Cribbs, Phil Vilapiano, Isiah Robertson, Conrad Doebler, solid kicking game. Huge turnaround! 

#Talkin’Proud

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Exactly while I agree that OJ in person is a piece of *****, You can’t take away with what he did on the football field all the accomplishments and the records he set. It would be foolish to strip all that away from our teams history Because of the later half of his life. Don’t get me wrong OJ’s football legacy is Destroyed people will never remember 

What a great running back he was and all that he meant to the Buffalo Bills and USC

I think Kyle Williams should be on the wall

• Like (+1) 1