Alec Ogletree as a potential SLB fit

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

No he was awful... Cleveland fans hated him and told us he would never amount to anything  and shouldnt be brought in as a starter

Can't judge a player by their time spent in Cleveland. It's a black hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bouds said:

I live in NYC, watched this guy play, he is just bad.  He has no roll in the NFL, can't pass cover and can't pass rush from the outside.  

Like Beane said, Zo was a swiss army knife.  Zo played over guards and rushed, played outside and rushed, played off the ball as a stack linebacker.  Of those 3 rolls, Olgetree does one, stack LB, that's it.  He will give us no pass rush, and no pass coverage (which admittedly wasn't Zo's strongest attribute).  Just don't see the point of bringing Olgetree in.

Rolls vs. roles ...... now that's a tricky one ?

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

We have taken a lot of awful players that ended up succeeding in McDermotts defense. Just look at Poyer. 

Poyer was not awful before he came to Bills.  In fact he was recruited because his coach on Browns saw he was being under utilized.  Colts fans were glad for trade of Hughes until he was given chance to shine.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Poyer was awful in Cleveland.

He didn't show too much his first two seasons - not uncommon for a late-round pick to take a while to develop

He was playing well in his 4th year when he got seriously hurt.

Is it fair to say that he and others (Phillips jumps to mind) blossomed under the tutelage of Frazier and McDermott?

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Poyer was considered bad in Cleveland but before he came I thought he could be good (one of the few threads I have started). 

I’m down with olgetree. I have also heard AJ Klein’s name tossed around a lot too. I think that’s a good fit too 

I think the Bills made a run at Klein last time he was a FA

20 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Poyer was considered bad in Cleveland but before he came I thought he could be good (one of the few threads I have started).

IIRC Cleveland did tender him, just at minimum.  I don't think you tender a guy at all if you think he's bad.

'Course, you don't tender him at minimum if you think he's a key player, or has the potential to be so, either.

12 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Is it fair to say that he and others (Phillips jumps to mind) blossomed under the tutelage of Frazier and McDermott?

Surely.   Our defense is a veritable field of blossoming flowers ?

Provided you mean "flowers" in the carnivorous plant sense of the word. ?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IIRC Cleveland did tender him, just at minimum.  I don't think you tender a guy at all if you think he's bad.

'Course, you don't tender him at minimum if you think he's a key player, or has the potential to be so, either.

Sure.  Our defense is a veritable field of blossoming flowers ?

Provided you mean "flowers" in the carnivorous plant sense of the word. ?

Brushing off the cobwebs from digging in the basement. I haven't found the "Poyer signed" thread yet, but here's an idea of how he and Hyde were viewed before suiting up for the Bills.

why are we talking about Poyer here.
Does Ogletree fit up as an OLB for the Bills.

It is a situational role. as he would not be playing in nickle or dime defense.

Because you guys have mixed emotions here , and hoping for  a scheme change creating a moment of epiphany for Ogle tree ?

i say find another.

But as mentioned

I trust McBeanes. not you knuckleheads  LOL

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Brushing off the cobwebs from digging in the basement. I haven't found the "Poyer signed" thread yet, but here's an idea of how he and Hyde were viewed before suiting up for the Bills.

Well that OP right there lets me know how to evaluate the opinions offered.  Gilmore is a CB - no one is trading CB Gilmore for S Hyde and Poyer, they're different positions.

Williams wasn't swapped out voluntarily, he was released and no other team would sign him due to his horrible injury history.   He retired the following Jan. Tough luck for a young man who still wanted to play, but probably to his long-term benefit.

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

why are we talking about Poyer here.

'cuz we should pay him? ?

Seriously, thread drift.  It's a thing.

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Does Ogletree fit up as an OLB for the Bills.

It is a situational role. as he would not be playing in nickle or dime defense.

Because you guys have mixed emotions here , and hoping for  a scheme change creating a moment of epiphany for Ogle tree ?

i say find another.

But as mentioned

I trust McBeanes. not you knuckleheads  LOL

Right on.  There are places where McBeane have merited some skepticism - such as their handling of offensive talent in 2017-2018.

But their judgement of defensive player talent seems solid to date. 

5 hours ago, bouds said:

I live in NYC, watched this guy play, he is just bad.  He has no roll in the NFL, can't pass cover and can't pass rush from the outside.  

Like Beane said, Zo was a swiss army knife.  Zo played over guards and rushed, played outside and rushed, played off the ball as a stack linebacker.  Of those 3 rolls, Olgetree does one, stack LB, that's it.  He will give us no pass rush, and no pass coverage (which admittedly wasn't Zo's strongest attribute).  Just don't see the point of bringing Olgetree in.

And no ST capability.  

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

You take that back.

make me !
i was going to say Chuckle heads ! But dialed it back, Love you guys.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well that OP right there lets me know how to evaluate the opinions offered.  Gilmore is a CB - no one is trading CB Gilmore for S Hyde and Poyer, they're different positions.

Williams wasn't swapped out voluntarily, he was released and no other team would sign him due to his horrible injury history.   He retired the following Jan. Tough luck for a young man who still wanted to play, but probably to his long-term benefit.

'cuz we should pay him? ?

Seriously, thread drift.  It's a thing.

Yes, I have heard tell of such

Right on.  There are places where McBeane have merited some skepticism - such as their handling of offensive talent in 2017-2018.     They improved that marker i hope we can agree last season by a country mile ?

But their judgement of defensive player talent seems solid to date. 
yep. and use it to its strengths.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’d like to ogle at some Ogletree on our defense next season.

perv

Edited by 3rdand12