Looks like the NFL is about to have the New CBA.

MAJBobby

It's most likely going to pass.  It shouldn't be lost on anyone that most of the squawking about it is coming from older, more famous, players who, for the most part, have made boatloads of money already and can coast to retirement.  Their crowing about "health and wellness" falls pretty flat when you consider that the best medicine is, and always has been, money.

The EC didn't recommend it, player reps barely passed it, but I'm willing to bet the total will end up being somewhere around 60% yes votes from the general membership. 

9 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

It's most likely going to pass.  It shouldn't be lost on anyone that most of the squawking about it is coming from older, more famous, players who, for the most part, have made boatloads of money already and can coast to retirement.  Their crowing about "health and wellness" falls pretty flat when you consider that the best medicine is, and always has been, money.

The EC didn't recommend it, player reps barely passed it, but I'm willing to bet the total will end up being somewhere around 60% yes votes from the general membership. 

Since NFLPA has proved it is all about the money shouldn't players get number of votes equivalent to the amount they earn each year?

Since players are being released before vote I wonder if such players gets votes until they retire officially. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Since NFLPA has proved it is all about the money shouldn't players get number of votes equivalent to the amount they earn each year?

Since players are being released before vote I wonder if such players gets votes until they retire officially. 

Guess they follow the approach of the senate more than the house.

12 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Agreed.  From what I can read, a lot of the vets want less practices, which they are already getting in the new agreement.  However, they can get fined more for missing practices.  

So to me, on this point, they want to be able to keep taking training camp off and are saying it’s a health thing.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, Rochesterfan said:

My guess is based on everyone of the current Bills PS players accepting a futures contract - that the majority would stay in the NFL rather than move to a spring league.  The guys in the XFL are mostly washouts and guys that have little shot at getting back into the NFL.  The PS players are going to stick to the NFL because that is their shot.

As to college players skipping college and going to the XFL - I think that is just crazy talk.  Will 1 or 2 guys that do not have the grades maybe take a shot - could be, but the majority will not for the exact reason we have going on in Indy right now - combine and the draft.  Playing in the XFL will mean those guys will not be going to the combine and will not be getting the meetings with the teams.  If the NFL leaveS the 3 years from HS rule in place - these guys would need to play in the XFL for for 2 years and take a year off getting ready (not a great plan) or risk playing a 3 rd year  and playing right up until the draft - mid April based on this year’s calendar- I don’t think that is a risk most players will take.  

I think the XFL will prove an alternative for some young players with different circumstances, but i agree it will mostly consist of washouts.  Which is fine - there will be some cool redemption stories to come out of it, and honestly the football is fine.  

On 2/26/2020 at 7:25 AM, machine gun kelly said:

The only thing surprising from what Garafolo reported was a 9 home game one year and 8 games the second year.  It was widely reported the 17th game was going to be a neutral site.  I assume this might not be a detail worked out yet, and will change.  This was going to happen for those not happy with this new deal.

I know several don’t like the extra game or extra wildcard team, but they make a larger % of the pie up to 48.5% and the tv revenue goes up quite a bit.  Given they will negotiate streaming, different network options and from ive read DTV won’t be exclusive anymore.

I believe they were floating AFC home 1 year, and NFC home the next and having the 17th game be inter-conference based on the division finish the previous year.  

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I think the XFL will prove an alternative for some young players with different circumstances, but i agree it will mostly consist of washouts.  Which is fine - there will be some cool redemption stories to come out of it, and honestly the football is fine.  

I believe they were floating AFC home 1 year, and NFC home the next and having the 17th game be inter-conference based on the division finish the previous year.  

The football is suspect.  Tuning in to see what looked like the best team with the best player in the league (Washington) get totally destroyed by a previously winless/awful team pretty much sealed it for me.

Ratings are falling as the novelty wears off and people wonder why they are watching .

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Any player who was a dues paying NFLPA member last season may vote.

New CBA language was finalized yesterday, and is now in front of the players for the official vote.  

The NFL Players Association sent out official ballots to players Thursday morning on the league's proposed collective bargaining agreement.

The NFLPA said in a statement Thursday that the voting will remain open until next Thursday, March 12, at 11:59 p.m. ET.

The language of the proposed CBA was finalized late Wednesday night, a league source told ESPN's Jeff Darlington.

While players will be able to cast a vote throughout the seven-day window, they currently plan to use the full allotted time before formalizing the results, meaning ratification is unlikely until later next week, an NFLPA source told Darlington.

If a majority of the voting players approve, the deal will go into effect immediately, as the owners already have approved it. NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith expressed confidence last week that the players would vote it through

On 3/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, MJS said:

Can't think of a CBA ever going more smoothly...

If you listen to Aaron Rodgers, his opinion is that players don't care about anything but the higher paychecks that they will get.  Very likely to pass.

"That's probably the most disheartening thing," Rodgers said on the show. "This is a society we live in now that's so distracted by the swiping world of apps and social media. I don't know. Do guys really care about this stuff? Unfortunately, or fortunately -- however you look at it -- for the people wanting to push this deal through so badly, that's kind of a win because nobody's critically looking at this or thinking about it. They're just like, 'Oh, what's my salary going to be? Oh, OK, cool.' Not like, 'Are we taking care of former players? What kind of additional player risks are we taking on? What are we getting in return for that?'

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Easy for him to say with the mega millions he makes.

That's a fair point, but he is also more than set for life.  His advice though is better for the long term welfare of the middling players who won't see more than 5 seasons.  But they don't care beyond this year's paycheck. 

14 hours ago, GG said:

That's a fair point, but he is also more than set for life.  His advice though is better for the long term welfare of the middling players who won't see more than 5 seasons.  But they don't care beyond this year's paycheck. 

Can he be anymore condescending toward the majority of his teammates who don't make a fraction of what he makes?  Wow, the balls on this guy.

First he claims that he was against the CBA because of "conversations I have had with the men in 'my' locker room".  Now he says these same men aren't even returning his messages.

Now he is saying, essentially,  that all of these guys are too dumb to understand what's really in the CBA.  And, despite the fact that a 17th game has been on the bargaining table for many, many months, yet this doofus now is claiming: "A lot of us are wondering how the hell that even got into the conversation," he said, "because nobody wanted it."

This is the best deal ever presented to the players regarding current pay and future benefits.  As an added and perhaps unexpected bonus, the owners have created a previously unheard of "class warfare" between the few highest paid players and everyone else in the course of CBA ratification.  Only 15% make over 5 million a year this year.  Half the players make less than 900K.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, Mr. WEO said:

And, despite the fact that a 17th game has been on the bargaining table for many, many months, yet this doofus now is claiming: "A lot of us are wondering how the hell that even got into the conversation," he said, "because nobody wanted it."

Seems to me like that comment is a swipe at DeMaurice.

12 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Seems to me like that comment is a swipe at DeMaurice.

It shouldn't be.  Anyone who had access to the internet has known the owners have wanted to get 18 games for years, so they put 17 games on the table 9 months ago in negotiations with the NFL Exec Council.

For this numbnuts to stroll in for the "Player Rep" vote and be shocked, SHOCKED, that 17 games was on the ballot shows how out of touch he is and how poorly his teammates chose their player rep.

DEMaurice has to read that quote and shake his head in sadness....

Edited by Mr. WEO

This is a disconnect with reality for A-aron. It seems he thinks he's still the face of the NFL and has untouchable influence and that ship has sailed. If it's to the point that men in "his" locker room aren't returning his calls/texts now,  that should tell him something. 

Was reading how supposedly some owners are hoping the CBA is voted down as they want to add an 18th game  and not give up as much money. 

I'm wondering if this is just a ploy by the owners to try and scare the players into approving as if we reject this the next offer won't be as good.

Personally I'd support the owners if they were to do that.  The players voted for who's on the executive council and who is the union president, along with going along with hiring of D Smith as the head of the union.  They negotiated this deal with the owners in good faith feeling they are supporting the players.  For the players to reject this now would be somewhat bad faith negotiating  IMO.  Wouldn't shock me to see Smith and the president to resign if that were to happen.  Let Aaron Rodgers and Sherman lead this thing next time around.