Looks like the NFL is about to have the New CBA.

MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Why are you harping on this?   All stories point to the threshold for suspensions to be changed, but there definitely will be suspensions.

"As one source explained it, a new CBA also would include dramatically reduced penalties, with suspensions happening only in the event of extreme and repeated disregard of the policy or significant violations of applicable law regarding the possession and use of marijuana."

Read what that bullet point says.  It doesn't eliminate all suspensions  

You mean like players transporting hundreds of pounds of weed across state lines?? See Robinson, Greg and Newton, Nate for details.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I posted several days ago about this issue and the players bringing it up and the owners needing to do something about it...there is no way this wouldn't have become an issue to players who are getting paid by the game.

Negotiation Tactic. And guess what it worked. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

yes strictly for positive test no suspension. So again No suspension for a Weed Test. As I stated 

No, you said no suspension for weed.  That's different than what the rules are going to be.   The threshold is higher, but serial offenders who disregard policies, like Josh Gordon would still be subject to suspensions.

I think the other huge piece to this is by increasing the PS and the active players - you will further reduce the talent pool of any spring league that doesn’t have an agreement with the NFL and the NFLPA.  It will be interesting to see the impact on the XFL for next year as QB play is already troublesome.

You are adding 5 more spots to the PS - that is 160 more young players with NFL contracts that pulls the majority of your starting QBs, WRs, RBs, DBs, etc.

I also think you finally see something done right by the NFLPA by letting this go to the members - they knew the vast majority of players would approve - so good for them doing it right.  Lo Alexander talked a bit about this on OBL - where as a veteran the deal isn’t great because it adds to the wear and tear, but as the average player only plays 3 years this significantly increases their earnings and brings more guys into play.  He recognized it was good for the vast majority of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

No, you said no suspension for weed.  That's different than what the rules are going to be.   The threshold is higher, but serial offenders who disregard policies, like Josh Gordon would still be subject to suspensions.

doesn’t say that ANYWHERE in the fact sheet. Does it?  So until I see the CBA that says otherwise I keep my point that a Positive test will not result in a suspension. 

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I think the other huge piece to this is by increasing the PS and the active players - you will further reduce the talent pool of any spring league that doesn’t have an agreement with the NFL and the NFLPA.  It will be interesting to see the impact on the XFL for next year as QB play is already troublesome.

You are adding 5 more spots to the PS - that is 160 more young players with NFL contracts that pulls the majority of your starting QBs, WRs, RBs, DBs, etc.

I also think you finally see something done right by the NFLPA by letting this go to the members - they knew the vast majority of players would approve - so good for them doing it right.  Lo Alexander talked a bit about this on OBL - where as a veteran the deal isn’t great because it adds to the wear and tear, but as the average player only plays 3 years this significantly increases their earnings and brings more guys into play.  He recognized it was good for the vast majority of the league.

so how many PS players except a “Futures” contract over going to get paid in the Spring?

Additionally once XFL can show the pathway to the NFL I am willing to bet you start seeing College Recruits defect to the Paid league as well. 

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

The player reps with 10+ years in the league and who are big stars with big money might be against the extra game but is the average NFL player who only has a 3 year shelf life really going to be against playing an extra 3 games for another 1/17th paycheck?  probably not and there are far more of them than there are stars.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

doesn’t say that ANYWHERE in the fact sheet. Does it?  So until I see the CBA that says otherwise I keep my point that a Positive test will not result in a suspension. 

Actually it does, because the fact sheet specifically mentions the word "strictly," which means there will be ways for a player to be suspended for weed that falls outside the definition of what "strictly" is supposed to encompass.  

That's why PFT followed up to get a clarification from a direct source and attributed this line to the source  "a new CBA also would include dramatically reduced penalties, with suspensions happening only in the event of extreme and repeated disregard of the policy or significant violations of applicable law regarding the possession and use of marijuana."

Seems pretty clear

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Actually it does, because the fact sheet specifically mentions the word "strictly," which means there will be ways for a player to be suspended for weed that falls outside the definition of what "strictly" is supposed to encompass.  

That's why PFT followed up to get a clarification from a direct source and attributed this line to the source  "a new CBA also would include dramatically reduced penalties, with suspensions happening only in the event of extreme and repeated disregard of the policy or significant violations of applicable law regarding the possession and use of marijuana."

Seems pretty clear

exactly like transporting 153 lbs over the international border. 

again anything PFT writes about this situation is slanted to one side. And it is always going to be against the owners 

Edited by MAJBobby

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

yes strictly for positive test no suspension. So again No suspension for a Weed Test. As I stated. 

under this CBA Josh Gordon would have never had a single suspension. 

Why would they test if there would never be a suspension under any circumstance?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would they test if there would never be a suspension under any circumstance?

sure how many people will they catch in a 2 week testing window with a reduced testing pool and a 150ng limit. 

window dressing for the “Conservative” ownership group. 

Changes to Drug Policy
-- Narrows the testing window of THC from four months to two weeks at the start of training camp 
-- Reduces the penalties to players who test positive for THC, eliminating any game suspensions strictly for positive tests 
--Reduces the number of players subjected to testing for THC 
-- Increases the nanogram limit from 35 to 150

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

sure how many people will they catch in a 2 week testing window with a reduced testing pool and a 150ng limit. 

window dressing for the “Conservative” ownership group. 

Not the point.  If you are saying there can be no suspensions for weed, why test...for any amount? 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Not the point.  If you are saying there can be no suspensions for weed, why test...for any amount? 

TO HAVE THE CONSERVATIVE OWNERSHIP group OK the CBA. 

there have been at least 7 owners that say weed should not be allowed. They needed to get some of those owners on board 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bobby is hunkering down. First he said, “no suspensions for weed.” Of course, that was wrong. Then he pretended he didn’t say that. That was also wrong. Then he said Josh Gordon wouldn’t be suspended under this CBA. That was also wrong.

Don’t waste your time.

TO HAVE THE CONSERVATIVE OWNERSHIP group OK the CBA. 

there have been at least 7 owners that say weed should not be allowed. They needed to get some of those owners on board 

Still doesn't make sense.  Why would the conservative owners agree to a test that has no meaning?  Do you think the conservative owners are that stupid?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Bobby is hunkering down. First he said, “no suspensions for weed.” Of course, that was wrong. Then he pretended he didn’t say that. That was also wrong. Then he said Josh Gordon wouldn’t be suspended under this CBA. That was also wrong.

Don’t waste your time.

Agreed.  It would be so much simpler to say,  Oops I misread one bullet point, and move on.

Just now, GG said:

Still doesn't make sense.  Why would the conservative owners agree to a test that has no meaning?  Do you think the conservative owners are that stupid?

Because that is how they are. They still have the “testing” program. They can keep their history of see we are still testing for something illegal in our state. Blah blah blah. 

Completely get rid of it they lose those Conservative Owners that still think it should be banned and the Owners do not approve their own CBA 

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

again anything PFT writes about this situation is slanted to one side. And it is always going to be against the owners 

Come again?  The PFT take in this case is FOR the owners.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Don’t waste your time.

so where in the fact sheet does it say that there will be Game Suspensions. Show it to me. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Because that is how they are. They still have the “testing” program. They can keep their history of see we are still testing for something illegal in our state. Blah blah blah. 

Completely get rid of it they lose those Conservative Owners that still think it should be banned and the Owners do not approve their own CBA 

To repeat,

It would be so much simpler to say,  Oops I misread one bullet point, and move on.

• Like (+1) 1