Serious Question.... How On Earth Did The Oilers Lose To The Bills?

In addition to a lot of what's been posted, I'm convinced the weather played a role as well.    I was at the game and even though it was in the low 30-degree range, watching the Oiler sidelines, you could just see them slowly seize up.     Not unlike the 51-3 playoff game against the Raiders...

I was there......sitting in front of Mr Wilson. (literally, if he spilled his drink, my back got wet).  I had 4 seats ,but only used 3...my wife and my aunt.  My memory of the game was Andre Reed beating Houston all second half...he got 3 or 4 TD's and maybe Kenny Davis  got one.  They almost lost at the end, but got it in OT I think.  Right, not on live  local TV...but, was replayed a number of times for the Buffalo market.

• Like (+1) 1

Crazy thing is, we didn't begin our comeback until about 9:00 left in the 3rd quarter, and scored 28 points in about 7 minutes.  And we won without Thurman, Jimbo and CB!

Some memorable sound bites/clips:

"Pandamonia all over"  (LOL) - Jeff Wright

"We can overcome this" & "This is a team, *****!" - Darryl Talley

"They don't want it!  They don't want it!" - Mark Maddox

"It's ours!  B-lo (points to Buffalo on helmet)" - Carwell Gardner

CB doing the Sanford & Son routine after one of our TDs.

I was at the game, and admittedly, wanted to leave after the Bubba McDowell Pick 6.  But my friend who drove refused to leave.  Good call on his part!

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Buffalo got a LOT more physical on defense; started using LBs to batter Houston’s 4 WR set and throw off the timing of the R-A-S.

Offensively, Kenny Davis’ hard-nosed running style was a better matchup against a Houston defense that played nickel and dime to avoid big plays.

That, and a little bit of luck between the OS kick, the Beebe play, and Montgomery muffing a FG snap.

No doubt the Bills got a few breaks, but a few plays prior to the muffed snap, a REALLY QUESTIONABLE roughing the passer call on Bruce negated a Bills INT.

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I remember after the game, “May God Be with You” Frank Reich quoted bible scripture in the post game locker room interviews.

He actually quoted from one of my favorite songs, "In Christ Alone" by Michael English.

In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself in battles won
For I've been blessed beyond measure
And by His strength alone I overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes
Like diamonds in my hand
But those trophies could not equal
To the grace by which I stand
In Christ alone I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory let it be said of me
My source of strength, my source of hope
Is Christ alone
In Christ alone will I glory
For only by His grace I am redeemed
Only His tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness to my need
Now I seek no greater honor
Than just to know Him more
And to count my things but losses
To the glory of the Lord

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s the offseason and it’s been slow on the NFL front, so a few weeks ago, I started watching the Bills-Oilers playoff game from 1993.

I was floored at how awesome Houston looked in the first half.  Moon was absolutely slinging it, and it appeared that the Bills DL couldn’t get anywhere near him.  The Houston receivers were consistently winning matchups vs the Buffalo secondary.  Basically it just looked TOO easy.  Almost like some of the 2007 Bills defense trying to defend Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Here’s what I want to ask, because I couldn’t quite tell.  From a schematic approach, what changed in the Oilers offense or with the Bills defense that allows the Houston offense to generate just 3 points in the second half? 

Also, it seems criminal that Moon and this offense never got a chance to player in a Super Bowl.  They were a wicked talented offense with great talent at skills positions:

WR: Jeffries, Givens, Slaughter, Duncan

RB: Lorenzo White and Gary Brown.  

I forgot that in the following season, the team was in disarray coming off the playoff loss to the Bills but then rattled off 11 straight wins.  The 93 team was even better and a legit SB contender, but they eventually were upset by Broadway Joe Montana.

Still...man what a team.  

Actually I asked question about the last Bills Super Bowl XXVIII.   If you watch that game Bills controlled the first half, missed a few opportunities but then looked totally lost in the second half.

People talk about what a great coach Kevin Gilbride (Houston OC) was/is.  Nope.  They kept passing and stopping the clock.  Bad coaching cost them that game in the fourth quarter.  I watched it, and was baffled at the stupidity of the Houston game plan.  Three-and-out with running plays would have run out the clock.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I’ve always maintained that was the key play in that game.  Hence one of the reasons I choose my avatar 

I think at the time it was referred to as a 'suicide onside' kick. Genuinely never remember seeing it before that game, and not sure we've seen it much since.

7 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Was the game on tv?  I seem recall it being a black out since the game was not sold out.

I am certain this has been answered but yes it was a blackout......I managed to get my hands on a taped copy a few days later from a friend in Binghamton.....crazy they showed it down there!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Buffalo got a LOT more physical on defense; started using LBs to batter Houston’s 4 WR set and throw off the timing of the R-A-S.

Offensively, Kenny Davis’ hard-nosed running style was a better matchup against a Houston defense that played nickel and dime to avoid big plays.

That, and a little bit of luck between the OS kick, the Beebe play, and Montgomery muffing a FG snap.

I agree about the Bills getting more physical. I seem to remember that in the 2nd half the Bills went to their base D instead of using 5-6 DBs, which was common against the " Run & Shoot". It changed the game.

Hands down the CRAZIEST game I ever witnessed.....mostly.  There were 4 of us.....our driver stayed put, 3 of us went out to the van and the end of the 1st half.  Sat in the parking lot and laughed as the Bills comeback started.  We knew the gate would be thrown open at the end of the 3rd so we planned on that.  About 5 mins to go before that my buddy and his pregnant wife ran/stumbled by (she gave birth 3 days later!!) with him screaming get in the game!  get in the game!!!  We strolled up right as the 3rd ended.....security said we are opening the gate....please wait till we turn around b4 you enter.....we got razzed when we got back to our seat but we saw all but one 1/4!  CRAZEE!!! 

Just now, njbuff said:

Remember, there were about 800,000 fans at the game, i. e................

had claimed to have been at the game.

wished 10,000 of them would have bothered to buy a ticket, fans had packed it in for the 3rd SB run, couldn’t even sell out the game

disgraceful

8 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

Actually I asked question about the last Bills Super Bowl XXVIII.   If you watch that game Bills controlled the first half, missed a few opportunities but then looked totally lost in the second half.

The Bills did well in the first half but they came away with just 13 points, including one very long FG.  So the game was never that far away from Dallas.  I wouldn’t call 13-6 and 35-3 equal situations.  

• Like (+1) 1