Serious Question.... How On Earth Did The Oilers Lose To The Bills?

21 hours ago, row_33 said:

Insisted on continually throwing the ball, running it a few times would have run the clock out

Yes. Many don't remember DC Buddy Ryan actually physically attacking OC Gilbride on the sideline for not running the ball and burning clock.

The surprise onside kick was also brilliant, saving the Bills a ton of time when it was successful.

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes. Many don't remember DC Buddy Ryan actually physically attacking OC Gilbride on the sideline for not running the ball and burning clock.

The surprise onside kick was also brilliant, saving the Bills a ton of time when it was successful.

I remember the Buddy Ryan incident A YEAR LATER IN A GAME VS THE JETS.  Buddy Ryan wasn't with the Oilers for the Bills game.  He was hired to fix the Oilers D AFTER the Bills took apart the Oilers D in the 2nd half of the comeback game.

Edit:  Here is the reason for the punch from 1994 The Sporting News Pro Football Guide:  Houston became the 1st team since the 1972 Dolphins to win its last 11 games.  The Oilers latest triumph was marked by a sideline scuffle between assistant coaches Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan.  Defensive coordinator Ryan threw a punch at Gilbride, his offensive counterpart after the Oilers, leading 14-0 at the time, attempted two deep passes in their own territory late in the first half instead of running out the clock. Quarterback Cody Carlson fumbled the ball on his second pass attempt to give New York possession at the Houston 18yard line.  The Jets however, did not score.  Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason when asked to assess the Oilers Super Bowl chances " I think the only thing that might hold this team back is if the coaches kill each other."  

For the record Houston beat the Jets 24-0 and then lost to KC in their 1st playoff game. Ryan only coached 1 year in Houston & then was hired as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals in 1994.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Not directly related, but living in TN and even though having friends who are Titans fans, I can't stand them ever since the Music City Forward Lateral. I was alive but not old enough to appreciate the comeback game. I will say its a shame for Houston that the Adams? Family (the Titans owner(s))  holds the "Oilers" name hostage from being used.