Serious Question.... How On Earth Did The Oilers Lose To The Bills?

7 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s the offseason and it’s been slow on the NFL front, so a few weeks ago, I started watching the Bills-Oilers playoff game from 1993.

I was floored at how awesome Houston looked in the first half.  Moon was absolutely slinging it, and it appeared that the Bills DL couldn’t get anywhere near him.  The Houston receivers were consistently winning matchups vs the Buffalo secondary.  Basically it just looked TOO easy.  Almost like some of the 2007 Bills defense trying to defend Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Here’s what I want to ask, because I couldn’t quite tell.  From a schematic approach, what changed in the Oilers offense or with the Bills defense that allows the Houston offense to generate just 3 points in the second half? 

Also, it seems criminal that Moon and this offense never got a chance to player in a Super Bowl.  They were a wicked talented offense with great talent at skills positions:

WR: Jeffries, Givens, Slaughter, Duncan

RB: Lorenzo White and Gary Brown.  

I forgot that in the following season, the team was in disarray coming off the playoff loss to the Bills but then rattled off 11 straight wins.  The 93 team was even better and a legit SB contender, but they eventually were upset by Broadway Joe Montana.

Still...man what a team.  

They played like a 14 year old with a lead in Madden, prevent defense, not running the ball and thinking the lead wouldn't go away.

As stated above the prevent Defense was a huge part of it but also the Oilers had no " slower" offense, they went pedal to the metal or nothing. Once they changed the game plan offensively they had issues and by the time they changed back we had 4 TDs. That version of the Bills had other insanely quick scoring periods just none as important. I know we once scored 3 TDs vs Denver around that time in 77 seconds without much offense being involved.

Just now, Virgil said:

The refs were in our pocket. 

Beebe was out of bounds!

This is the moment my Pat's* fan father in law uses to prove that officials make mistakes and the Bills benefit as much as Pat's* do. The fact his team would still get the TD today with the replay means nothing to him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s the offseason and it’s been slow on the NFL front, so a few weeks ago, I started watching the Bills-Oilers playoff game from 1993.

I was floored at how awesome Houston looked in the first half.  Moon was absolutely slinging it, and it appeared that the Bills DL couldn’t get anywhere near him.  The Houston receivers were consistently winning matchups vs the Buffalo secondary.  Basically it just looked TOO easy.  Almost like some of the 2007 Bills defense trying to defend Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Here’s what I want to ask, because I couldn’t quite tell.  From a schematic approach, what changed in the Oilers offense or with the Bills defense that allows the Houston offense to generate just 3 points in the second half? 

Also, it seems criminal that Moon and this offense never got a chance to player in a Super Bowl.  They were a wicked talented offense with great talent at skills positions:

I forgot that in the following season, the team was in disarray coming off the playoff loss to the Bills but then rattled off 11 straight wins.  The 93 team was even better and a legit SB contender, but they eventually were upset by Broadway Joe Montana.

Still...man what a team.  

I remember one of the Bills defenders .. I think it was Talley say they had gone the first half with extra DBs but in the second half they went with a more traditional defense. The oilers already had a history of choking so after we scored got the onside kick and scored again .. the offense started tightening up

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Was the game on tv?  I seem recall it being a black out since the game was not sold out.

It was on TV. I almost, almost turned it off.

Edit: In my old age, I forgot I had moved to Florida by then. Not sure if it was on locally. My bad.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

That combined with refusing to run the ball and take time off the clock. A deadly combination for sure.

I was at the game and you are correct.  The Oilers also played a very poor prevent defense.  The Bills also started playing a very aggressive man coverage defense to take away the short passing game.  The Bills defense came out in the second half and played a very physical game.  They dominated the line of scrimmage.  I also remember Talley being very animated encouraging guys on the sideline and whipping up the crowd.  It was a great game to see in person.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Houston lost the game on their last possession.  They had all kinds of time and were able to move the ball, but they milked the clock and were clearly just playing for a FG to force OT.  That drive was a good illustration of how their team went into a shell after the Bills scored those four unanswered TDs to get back into the game.

9 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Still...man what a team.  

Clearly, it was fixed.  Anyone with two eyes knew this while it was happening.

9 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I also remember buffalo getting lucky with a few calls I think Reed or one of the receivers went out of bounds and they did not call it. Give Buffalo credit Levy made some real gutsy calls that most coaches wouldn't do and they worked. Going for a TD instead of kicking a sure FG and the onside kicks come to mind.

The out of bounds WR was Beebe.

The fix was in... 

?

9 hours ago, QCity said:

After the McDowell pick to start the 2nd half and make it 35-3, they just assumed victory and set the car to idle. Then when we started scoring and it got uncomfortable, they couldn't get the engine going. By that time they were facing a tsunami of momentum. 

This.

People forget that the Oilers had absolutely annihilated the Bills just the week before and knocked them out of the bye - which is why the home playoff game in Buffalo was blacked out locally. 

The Oilers honestly were better - they had elite offensive firepower. Moon had the accuracy of Brees in his prime. But they took their foot off the gas against the a team with legendary competitive spirit. 

Marv deserves a lot of credit for in game decisions in that game - the onside kick down 35-10, and going for 4th and 5 down 35-24. He was not always the most aggressive coach but he had a sense for the moment in that game.

11 hours ago, Steve O said:

Beebe went out of bounds on the second touchdown, right after the onside kick recovery. No replay then. 

To the OP's point, not only did the Oilers dominate the first half, one week earlier they had dominated the Bills 27-3. So through 6 quarters of football the Oilers held a 55-6 scoring advantage. 

I remember the 27-3 game.  Houston looked really good that week but the numbers weren’t staggering.  In the first half of this game, Moon and the Oilers completely dominated the Bills defense - it’s insane 

10 hours ago, QCity said:

After the McDowell pick to start the 2nd half and make it 35-3, they just assumed victory and set the car to idle. Then when we started scoring and it got uncomfortable, they couldn't get the engine going. By that time they were facing a tsunami of momentum. 

I also recall some Bills players watching the Oiler players on the sideline laughing, joking, and basically goofing off since they believed they had the game in the bag. It was cited quite a bit for motivating the team to push harder.

After the Bills recovered the onside kick, Levy huddled everyone together and told them about the time he and General Patton led the 7th Army in WWII, and turned to Marv specifically and said "A good plan violently executed right now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."

True story.