Where Bills park Ford in 2020 dependent on FA/Draft

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Isn't that sort of bass-ackwards?  They should decide where they think he should play, and then go after a RT or a guard accordingly.

Smokescreen? 

They were talking on Cleveland radio today about how obviously desperate the browns are this year at OT and like Houston last year teams could try to jump them for a guy, since the OT class is top heavy. 
this would push other players down to the Bills

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm not using a first round pick on a RT. 

Good thing you're not the GM.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The money is there for a RT bought in FA.  I don't see why that would be a hesitation as Ford was pretty close to being a turnstile.

The Bills under Beane tend to only commit so much money to one position group. 

With Morse the highest paid center in football and Dawkins about to receive a lucrative left tackle contract, I don't anticipate the Bills ponying up enough dough in free agency to get a surefire starter at RT. It's not a matter of if the Bills have enough money OVERALL -- they do. To me, it's more a matter of how they seem to like to allocate funds. Based on the big contracts of Morse and (soon to be) Dawkins, I anticipate the Bills either going the cheap competition route (a Joe Haeg or a Daryl Williams) or the rookie route.

I'd love to be wrong, too. I have no problem paying big money to offensive tackles -- particularly when your prized young QB is entering a pivotal year three campaign.

Edited by Logic

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Bills under Beane tend to only commit so much money to one position group. 

With Morse the highest paid center in football and Dawkins about to receive a lucrative left tackle contract, I don't anticipate the Bills ponying up enough dough in free agency to get a surefire starter at RT. It's not a matter of if the Bills have enough money OVERALL -- they do. To me, it's more a matter of how they seem to like to allocate funds. Based on the big contracts of Morse and (soon to be) Dawkins, I anticipate the Bills either going the cheap competition route (a Joe Haeg or a Daryl Williams) or the rookie route.

I'd love to be wrong, too. I have no problem paying big money to offensive tackles -- particularly when your prized young QB is entering a pivotal year three campaign.

If McD and Beane have a problem allocating too many funds to a particular position group, they may want to reconsider that view with regards to the lines.  They should allocate a larger percentage of cap space to both the offensive and defensive lines.  Games are won and lost in the trenches, not in the defensive backfield or WRs.  Your franchise QB will get a good portion of the cap, and so should both lines.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Anybody who thinks Travis Frederick or Zach Martin or Quentin Nelson , or Ray lewis isn't worth a first-round pick is crazy

Is Frederick or Martin or Nelson so much better than Quinton Spain or Mitch Morse? Not really, and Buffalo picked those two up in FA for zero investment.

If you want to make a case that a generational talent at LB is also worthy, then sure, I’ll listen.

But there’s absolutely no way that Quentin Nelson is a better draft pick than a franchise LT. As good a guard as he may be, he’s never going to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl and not.

Are there situations where a team might go outside those premium positions to fill a need? Sure, but they should only do so when they’re already set at the premium spots and feel that the guy they’re taking is the final piece to winning a championship.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Is Frederick or Martin or Nelson so much better than Quinton Spain or Mitch Morse? Not really, and Buffalo picked those two up in FA for zero investment.

If you want to make a case that a generational talent at LB is also worthy, then sure, I’ll listen.

But there’s absolutely no way that Quentin Nelson is a better draft pick than a franchise LT. As good a guard as he may be, he’s never going to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl and not.

Are there situations where a team might go outside those premium positions to fill a need? Sure, but they should only do so when they’re already set at the premium spots and feel that the guy they’re taking is the final piece to winning a championship.

Yes without a doubt Martin and Nelson are much much much better than Spain, not even close

They are gonna walk into the HoF in 15 years. Spain won't even get a pro bowl

And I never said a top Guard has more value than a top Tackle. But a top Guard absolutely has more value than a decent or slightly above average Tackle

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes without a doubt Martin and Nelson are much much much better than Spain, not even close

They are gonna walk into the HoF in 15 years. Spain won't even get a pro bowl

And I never said a top Guard has more value than a top Tackle. But a top Guard absolutely has more value than a decent or slightly above average Tackle

Hmmm...weird then that the team with the star-studded Martin-Frederick tandem got absolutely manhandled by the team with the better pass rush on thanksgiving.

The point here is that you win games with great pass rushers, great corners, or great individual efforts from QBs and WRs. You’ll never once hear that Quentin Nelson was the difference in a winning effort. 

Not because he’s not good, but because guard simply isn’t an impact position.

Just follow the money. There’s a reason that QBs, WRs, pass rushers, tackles, and corners are the 5 highest paid positions in the game.

You want to have those guys on your roster already, so that you don’t have to pay a premium to get them in FA. Other positions are MUCH easier to fill in FA, so it’s not nearly as important to draft them early.