Where Bills park Ford in 2020 dependent on FA/Draft

YoloinOhio

“Yeah, absolutely,” Sean McDermott answered without hesitation.

The Bills head coach is in Indianapolis this week for the NFL Scouting Combine.

Ford, a 2nd round pick in 2019, played guard and tackle during his rookie season.

“Cody‘s position flexibility was very apparent in year one,” McDermott said.

His ability to play both spots is valuable but it’s also a statement on Ford’s inability to lockdown the starting job at right tackle.

“He had some really good moments and he had some moments he’ll learn from,” General Manger Brandon Beane told reporters on Tuesday.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm hoping they sign a legitimate RT in free agency, but with the money they're about to have invested in Dawkins and Morse, that may not be likely.

Instead, we may see a cheaper option brought in to compete at that spot, like a Joe Haeg.

Alternately, I would be thrilled if one of the big four OTs falls to the Bills in round 1. Given the money they'll have invested on the o-line and given how Beane tends to operate with respect to not overspending on one position group, a rookie right tackle for the next five years sounds like the winning choice.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm hoping they sign a legitimate RT in free agency, but with the money they're about to have invested in Dawkins and Morse, that may not be likely.

Instead, we may see a cheaper option brought in to compete at that spot, like a Joe Haeg.

Alternately, I would be thrilled if one of the big four OTs falls to the Bills in round 1. Given the money they'll have invested on the o-line and given how Beane tends to operate with respect to not overspending on one position group, a rookie right tackle for the next five years sounds like the winning choice.

The money is there for a RT bought in FA.  I don't see why that would be a hesitation as Ford was pretty close to being a turnstile.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I really liked Haeg coming out of college

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe it’s as simple as they feel that Nsekhe outplayed him.

That would be absolutely fine with me

I absolutely thought Ty was better at RT.....and they kept Waddle for a reason

I really think Ford ends up at OG.....and that is ok with me

Just now, John from Riverside said:

My question is Conklin THAT much better then Ty N.

I have not seen anything in their play that says yes.

Just give me a boring veteran free agent like Haeg

Nsekhe is like 35 and 1 yr left on his deal

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I think he could be extended for a couple of years....in either case that feels like a situation to me where we have a starter and need to find a draft pick replacement to groom.

How many lineman play til they are 37?

Keep ty as the backup swing tackle for this year sign Conklin who can be here for longer and is younger

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

How many lineman play til they are 37?

Keep ty as the backup swing tackle for this year sign Conklin who can be here for longer and is younger

So the fact that Conklin and Ty's actual play on the field doesnt sway your opinion on this

That is a LOT of money to tie up on OT's and I really do value good OL play......but I dont want to pay just for the sake of paying......

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm not using a first round pick on a RT. 

And then everybody cries when our green RT struggles! We need a new RT!!

As I said you either take one first round or you need to give them 2-3 years to develop

Even Dawkins needs to develop a lot . He isn't a top 10-15 guy rn

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm in wait-and-see mode with Ford. I like his aggressiveness and the edge he plays with. He obviously needs to get better. Let's see how he does going forward. I don't much care if he is a tackle or a guard. Wherever the coaches think he can contribute the most.