Draft hypothetical - all needs adequately filled

BarleyNY

Let’s say for argument’s sake that the Bills find a stud #1 WR, fill out their Edge needs and generally clean up their weak spots prior to the draft.  What would you reasonably look to do?  Are there any players you’d make a big move up for?  Or do you look to move out of 22 and stockpile future picks?  Or just sit tight and go BPA?  That last one is a bit boring for a hypothetical like this, but it would be valid, I guess.

Edit:  I meant a very good quality WR acquisition like AJ Green or Emmanuel Sanders.

Edited by BarleyNY

There are a couple players I might be interested in making a move up for. Isaiah Simmons looks to be a difference maker with a unique skill set.  If he got close to 10 I’d try to get him.  Also I might be tempted to go up for Lamb if he fell to around 10 or beyond.  Chase Young has no chance to fall into a range where we could get him and he’s the only Edge player in this draft that I’d move up for.  So he’s out.  A move up for the right difference making player would definitely be on the table for me. 

If that fails then I gotta be honest, I’d move back if I could.  I just doubt that there’s going to be a player at 22 that I love much more than I do a player in the second.  (That’s simply because I wouldn’t have to target a specific position.)  I’m looking for at least a 2021 first and a 2020 second to move way back. Or a high second and a third both this year plus some additional value.

12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

In that event I would hope they would stand pat or move back and get a high ranking OL. 

Yeah.  An OL would likely be BPA and my choice if we would stay at 22 or close to it. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There are a couple players I might be interested in making a move up for. Isaiah Simmons looks to be a difference maker with a unique skill set.  If he got close to 10 I’d try to get him.  Also I might be tempted to go up for Lamb if he fell to around 10 or beyond.  Chase Young has no chance to fall into a range where we could get him and he’s the only Edge player in this draft that I’d move up for.  So he’s out.  A move up for the right difference making player would definitely be on the table for me. 

If that fails then I gotta be honest, I’d move back if I could.  I just doubt that there’s going to be a player at 22 that I love much more than I do a player in the second.  (That’s simply because I wouldn’t have to target a specific position.)  I’m looking for at least a 2021 first and a 2020 second to move way back. Or a high second and a third both this year plus some additional value.

So if we got a #1 wr prior to the draft, you’d try and trade up for CeeDee Lamb?  

• Haha (+1) 1

If I find a #1 receiver in FA or all 3 top guys are off the board in the first 15 picks I am sitting tight and going BPA or trying to slide back and pick up an extra 2nd. That might require going back to where Baltimore or Ten are.... Baltimore are a potential trade up team as well if Queen or Murray are there at #22. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Let’s say for argument’s sake that the Bills find a stud #1 WR, fill out their Edge needs and generally clean up their weak spots prior to the draft.  What would you reasonably look to do?  Are there any players you’d make a big move up for?  Or do you look to move out of 22 and stockpile future picks?  Or just sit tight and go BPA?  That last one is a bit boring for a hypothetical like this, but it would be valid, I guess.

Stay at 22 and draft BPA

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So if we got a #1 wr prior to the draft, you’d try and trade up for CeeDee Lamb?  

Yes.  Simply because I think he’s going to be a special playmaker and WR is such an important position.  Also I think his specific skill set would fit well with Allen.  And I would have no issue being 4 deep at WR especially since we’d be set long term.  3 WRs would be under second deals now and we’d have a #1 WR going on his second as they come off theirs.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stay at 22 and draft BPA

You’re sooo boring!

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Yes.  Simply because I think he’s going to be a special playmaker and WR is such an important position.  I would have no issue being 4 deep at WR especially since we’d be set long term.  3 WRs would be under second deals now and we’d have a #1 WR going on his second as they come off theirs. 

You’re sooo boring!

I agree with him being a special player but if we secured a #1 WR I’d rather address other positions on offense.....most importantly the OL.  Build a dominant OL.  I’d rather use that 1st and the other pick picks we trade for lamb to build the OL and fortify TE and RB.  Maybe even draft another WR in rd 2-3.  I just wouldn’t want to give up extra high picks. 

but I see where you’re coming from. Lamb is the apple of your eye, for good reason ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

This is a great hypo.  I think in this draft, I'd stay put (or even acquire more 2nd rounders).  There are a decent amount of WR, CB, etc that could help long term.  

If LB Simmons fell, I might make a move for him.  But I wouldn't trade up past the 15 range, as that gets expensive quickly.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If I find a #1 receiver in FA or all 3 top guys are off the board in the first 15 picks I am sitting tight and going BPA or trying to slide back and pick up an extra 2nd. That might require going back to where Baltimore or Ten are.... Baltimore are a potential trade up team as well if Queen or Murray are there at #22. 

If this happens, I’m on the phone with Chicago; “whachoo want for Khalil Mack?”

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Love hypotheticals. :)

Ok, IF, WR#1, OT/G, and EDGE are all fixed prior to the draft and there are no glaring weak spots...

The only players I'd try and trade up for are Chase Young, Isaiah Simmons, and Jeff Okudah.  I think all 3 are going to be difference makers.

With having a WR#1, I don't have a reason to trade up for a WR.  I can still stay at 22 and get a great WR.

I would like to trade back and get some picks for next year.  In return, I want someone's #1 pick for next year.  I'd also like to use some of our lower level draft picks and maybe swap 3rd round picks so we can get farther up in the 3rd.

So then in that example, if we traded back into the front of round 2 w/ Cinc. 

We would get:

2020 1st pick 2nd round, 2020 1st pick 3rd round, 2021 Cinc 1st round pick

Cinc get:

2020 our first round pick (22), 2020 our 3rd round pick (swapped picks basically), 2020 5th round pick.

Is that even remotely close value wise??? :)

Edited by hjnick
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Since the universe of available Free Agents is rather small can you tell us who these stud signings are before we go wandering off into Fantasy Land on the Draft?

Would require trades for an edge rusher, at least. There are a some above average options in free agency (Clowney, Ngakoue), but nothing to say our edge rush is completely fixed. I guess Amari Cooper could fill the #1 role of WR if we get him.

To get a really elite player in the first round, they would probably need to move into the top 5.  Who wouldn't want to get Chase Youngs?  Unfortunately, moving from 22 to #2 would probably cost them the rest of their draft.  Anywhere in the top 5 would cost them almost as much.  Other than Chase Youngs, I don't really think there is a lineman on either side of the LOS who would inspire me to give up the rest of my draft just to get my hands on him.  The same is true for the available WRs.  Jeudy and Lamb are good,, but are they good enough, and that much better than the next tier of WRs to sacrifice most of the rest of the players I might get in the draft?  I wouldn't completely rule out trading up, if someone I really like surprises me by dropping, but a trade up is about the least likely alternative I can imagine happening.  I could see trading down a few spots to pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and I could easily see bundling some late picks with a 4th rounder to get another 3rd, but I think standing pat in round one might be the most likely chice thise year, and I'm happy with that.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Would require trades for an edge rusher, at least. There are a some above average options in free agency (Clowney, Ngakoue), but nothing to say our edge rush is completely fixed. I guess Amari Cooper could fill the #1 role of WR if we get him.

Excellent 

I’m not trying to rain on the thread but unless you know the age, contract value, etc of these hypothetical free agent signings it’s impossible to strategize the draft.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. But in all honesty I don't expect us to go after the BIG names in FA. I think much of our cap will be for taking care of guys in house and signing some so called 2nd Tier FA's. I expect the draft to be where they look to add their impact players by relying on their scouting dept. in hopes of having these guys for 4 or 5 years at a more cost effective clip. Just my thoughts. 

56 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

My thoughts exactly.

This is gonna be a long 2 months

Crap. I goofed.  I said “stud WR” to fill our #1 WR spot.  That’s my bad.  I was thinking along the lines of acquiring a player like AJ Green or Emmanuel Sanders, not somehow getting hold of someone like Deandre Hopkins.