Beane and McDermott interviews from Combine

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I watched them both live today.  Good interviews.  My biggest takeaway is that I think we are going to look at the right side of the OL or DE in the first round.  Many times it was mentioned just how deep this WR group is.  And Beane said they weigh is that the next guy or two at that position close in ranking where say another position there is a big drop off.  

With how many times he kept saying how deep WR is and how much value he put on the EDGE and OL, I think that unless there is some surprise slip of Juedy or Lamb, that they are going to go another direction in the first and look at the 2nd and 3rd rounds for WR help.

McD was very adamant that Ford is not locked into guard or tackle.  If there is a RT at 22, I have no doubt they would pull the trigger if he is a guy they covet.  They don't appear to have any hesitation to move Ford to guard if they feel its best for the team to draft another RT at 22 or even in the 2nd.  

None of this was much of a surprise of course, I had felt DE was the most likely pick at 22 unless one of the premiere WR prospects slip.  I do think the Drugger is potential guy for us at 22 too.  I did not at first, but after hearing how much time they invested in scouting him and more and more I hear about him, I am starting to think he is a guy that could be in play, maybe even in a trade down scenario picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd depending on how far we actually moved.

I would love for our draft to go like this..DE, WR, OT

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Ruggs is the guy I want. Aside from his 40 time which will be around 4.3, he just plays at a different speed than everyone else. He's a playmaker. 

If not Ruggs, I hope we get Denzel Mims in the 2nd. Great size and jump ball ability. 

With Josh Allen's accuracy, we need guys who can make tough catches. Guys who are "open even when they're covered." Ruggs and Mims are those guys. 

Ruggs is my top choice as well, familiarity with Dabboll’s Offensive scheme. Not a receiver you would have to train and teach from the ground up. Hope the bills get him if he falls to us

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Magox said:

This isn’t just an empty answer on Star L. it’s what he and McDermott believe.  They have earned the right by having a top 3 defense to make these judgements despite what some from the peanut gallery have to say.

”It gives us a little money to use elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. I'm probably his biggest defender out there and will continue to be... he eats blockers and helps our run defense. He got some guaranteed money that protected him and he gave us something back in return.”

the more telling thing is the pay cut. He’s fine in his role but not great.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s just throwing in a little snark 

Agreed, he was throwing snark, and IMO pretty unworthy.  McDermott is just repeating something he's said in pressers he doesn't assume the league hears.

But if Wawrow truly wants to throw snark, he missed some low hanging fruit in what McDermott said about WR

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed, he was throwing snark, and IMO pretty unworthy.  McDermott is just repeating something he's said in pressers he doesn't assume the league hears.

But if Wawrow truly wants to throw snark, he missed some low hanging fruit in what McDermott said about WR

Nope! 

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope! 

Wawrow doesn't disappoint.   Bloom has worn off McDermott and Beane in reporter's eyes, News at 11.

Next year wait for it: Wawrow sardonically notes that Allen in presser says he needs to play better. 

Is Wawrow auditioning for the new Jerry Sullivan podcast or something?  What does he expect them to say?

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

They did sign Brown and Beasley, but it was clear during the season that those 2 were limited when teams shaded coverage on Brown.

This season will once and for all define whether or not the HC will transition to being focused on building an elite offense.  To do that, yes, they need another solid receiving option.

Over the past 20 years I've seen coaches talk about offense, but no one has built one here to compete with the elite teams.  Hopefully that is coming to an end, because leading with defense paired with a pedestrian offense cannot vault a team into the competing for division titles or more.

I agree with what you're saying, and I want to see this happen too.

I loved that we signed John Brown & Cole Beasley last season and they were a big help to us.

The problem is that Zay Jones could not be counted on & Robert Foster disappeared.

What I think the Bills should do is approach the off season with a strong emphasis on improving the offense.

Get a veteran WR in free agency and then draft 2 more WR's. Hell, draft 3 WR's. The Bills need all the help they can get.

After Brown & Beasley, every other spot should be open competition, and Brown & Beasley aren't getting any younger.

I'm not saying we should completely ignore the defense this off season, we do need help at DE and getting another CB would be wise.

I do trust Beane, and I think he we will do everything he can to help the Bills get even better than last year. Just have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You forgot to add Higgins, Shenault, Mims, Jefferson and a bunch of other WRs they also met with that all also had good things to say about Buffalo

Shenault isn't the 6 yard catch and turn it into 50 type of guy; he is more a jack of all trades and master of none. Higgins we have met with a lot if I recall from Astro's list - I just don't like him that much as a player either. Mims is a solid choice and I have been up and down on Jefferson. Just don't see any of these guys being an immediate help for Josh and pick #22 is an overdraft for all of them. It is either a trade up or CB at 22.

I'm okay with the non-top 3 if we get a AJ Green type player who can give us some time for the rookie to develop. I'm definitely not saying everyone else will suck, just that it will take time (longer than we want right now) and I really don't want to have to use the 5th year option on Allen for another year to decide.  

I really believe if Beane can find a palatable trade he is going to move up and not back. There is a big reason why he said it is imperative that they get the Board right. IIRC, according to Astro, the only 2 FO guys who went to Alabama this year are Beane & Schoen; not even scout visits - that just seems strange (not saying there is anything to it - other than it is F-ing strange.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect Daboll had an interesting end of season interview with McDermott and Beane

I think it was probably more two-sided than one might expect.

What was Daboll's side of the conversation?  That he didn't have 11 all-pros and therefore couldn't produce a quality offense?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope! 

I listened to the Beane “we need to score more points” and in context, it’s not nearly as trite or “well duh” as Wawrow’s out of context “and I quote” remark made it sound.  He said there’s a lot of stuff that goes into that , we need to protect better, run better, throw better, catch better “and it starts with me” (repeated that several times in different ways “no more blame on anyone than with the guy I see when I look in the mirror”).

Similar thing about the “get our board right” comment, he was talking about looking at the value for a 1st round guy how much better is he than a 2nd round guy and when they’re on the clock if there’s a player at another position where there’s a big (talent) gap before the next guy, but a WR who is close in talent they could draft later, they might take the other position - it made a lot of sense in context with the full remarks.

I haven’t gone to listen to the McDermott interview yet but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess McDermott’s WR remarks might have some similar sensible context around them.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I listened to the Beane “we need to score more points” and in context, it’s not nearly as trite or “well duh” as Wawrow’s out of context “and I quote” remark made it sound.  He said there’s a lot of stuff that goes into that , we need to protect better, run better, throw better, catch better “and it starts with me” (repeated that several times in different ways “no more blame on anyone than with the guy I see when I look in the mirror”).

Similar thing about the “get our board right” comment, he was talking about looking at the value for a 1st round guy how much better is he than a 2nd round guy and when they’re on the clock if there’s a player at another position where there’s a big (talent) gap before the next guy, but a WR who is close in talent they could draft later, they might take the other position - it made a lot of sense in context with the full remarks.

I haven’t gone to listen to the McDermott interview yet but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess McDermott’s WR remarks might have some similar sensible context around them.

McDermott said “they need to be able to catch the football”.  Right to the point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or the receiver will be better and we will take him is what he says after what you stated....

In regards to what you posted, I think this starts to ring true once the top 3 WRs are gone, after them, the next couple groups are relatively close in talent and it will be easier to push the WRs down in RD2 into RD3, especially with RT talent that should start in RD2.

Not a comment to you, but just in general:

None of this is different than he has said in the past. Need to get the board right and draft the best player on it; if you see a top tier guy drop, especially in a position of need, we will be aggressive in moving up to get him. Everything is very fluid. While i am glad we made the playoffs this year and won as many games as we did, man it would be nice to be sitting around the mid to late teens...

Edited by Reed83HOF

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Or the receiver will be better and we will take him is what he says after what you stated....

Not a comment to you, but just in general:

None of this is different than he has said in the past. Need to get the board right and draft the best player on it; if you see a top tier guy drop, especially in a position of need, we will be aggressive in moving up to get him.

He definitely clearly stated multiple times how deep WR is in draft and also stated that if there are comparable guys available in the next round, he may go with a player at another position where there is a bigger talent gap after that round.

Personally, unless Juedy or Lamb slip, I think the pick is more likely to be DE or right side of the OL.  He put a lot of emphasis on DE in the presser too.  Then WR in the second or even a move up to get back to first or higher in second could be in play.

Also wouldn’t surprise me if they moved down from 22 a little bit if the the right guys are on the board.  

• Like (+1) 1