Beane and McDermott interviews from Combine

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I watched them both live today.  Good interviews.  My biggest takeaway is that I think we are going to look at the right side of the OL or DE in the first round.  Many times it was mentioned just how deep this WR group is.  And Beane said they weigh is that the next guy or two at that position close in ranking where say another position there is a big drop off.  

With how many times he kept saying how deep WR is and how much value he put on the EDGE and OL, I think that unless there is some surprise slip of Juedy or Lamb, that they are going to go another direction in the first and look at the 2nd and 3rd rounds for WR help.

McD was very adamant that Ford is not locked into guard or tackle.  If there is a RT at 22, I have no doubt they would pull the trigger if he is a guy they covet.  They don't appear to have any hesitation to move Ford to guard if they feel its best for the team to draft another RT at 22 or even in the 2nd.  

None of this was much of a surprise of course, I had felt DE was the most likely pick at 22 unless one of the premiere WR prospects slip.  I do think the Drugger is potential guy for us at 22 too.  I did not at first, but after hearing how much time they invested in scouting him and more and more I hear about him, I am starting to think he is a guy that could be in play, maybe even in a trade down scenario picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd depending on how far we actually moved.

Agreed. I've been saying it for months, I dont think we go WR round 1 (unless a top guy falls) and we go WR in round 2 and look to add a DE or oline round 1. It makes too much sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I watched them both live today.  Good interviews.  My biggest takeaway is that I think we are going to look at the right side of the OL or DE in the first round.  Many times it was mentioned just how deep this WR group is.  And Beane said they weigh is that the next guy or two at that position close in ranking where say another position there is a big drop off.  

With how many times he kept saying how deep WR is and how much value he put on the EDGE and OL, I think that unless there is some surprise slip of Juedy or Lamb, that they are going to go another direction in the first and look at the 2nd and 3rd rounds for WR help.

McD was very adamant that Ford is not locked into guard or tackle.  If there is a RT at 22, I have no doubt they would pull the trigger if he is a guy they covet.  They don't appear to have any hesitation to move Ford to guard if they feel its best for the team to draft another RT at 22 or even in the 2nd.  

None of this was much of a surprise of course, I had felt DE was the most likely pick at 22 unless one of the premiere WR prospects slip.  I do think the Dugger is potential guy for us at 22 too.  I did not at first, but after hearing how much time they invested in scouting him and more and more I hear about him, I am starting to think he is a guy that could be in play, maybe even in a trade down scenario picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd depending on how far we actually moved.

Can you imagine the number of heads that would explode on here if we drafted a Division II Safety with the #22 pick?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Another informative interview done at Senior Bowl with Beane

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bills-gm-brandon-beane-falcons-gm-thomas-dimitroff-join-stf/id1227006689?i=1000463331888

Some great stuff in there on the draft by Beane

Starts just after 37:00 minutes. Will update with quotes  

Was asked about Mahomes where the had him ranked

- Laughed and jokingly said "QB 1 ,  but says they had Newton so didn't dig deep on QB. When he left they drafted C McCaffrey  and wishes he had him in Buffalo"

Similarities of J Allen and Cam

- "Both big, athletic, leaders. Physical  skills sets similar. But they are different. Josh can take physical hits like Cam". 

Spent money on oline and drafted Ford, brought in some WR and TE to help Josh, what else is next to help him?

- "Josh needed protection, running the ball is a QB best friend ,  if you aren't good up front it's hard to execute .  We want to continue to help up front. Not saying we've arrived there, we need to continue to add weapons. Singletary  came on this year but you always need multiple running backs. 

Receivers, tight ends, I like to call them touchdown makers, guys that can get the ball in their hands, to take the pressure off Josh, so he doesn't feel like he has to make every play himself, let me dump this little 6 yard hitch route, have the WR make the guy miss and take it 50"

Some people say potential  historical  WR class, your thoughts on depth?

- " You can tell already  now that everyone has declared  , this class coming into the Senior Bowl  is pretty talented. Senior bowl is great so you can focus on them, then at combine undeclassmen  show up .  WR is a fun position to go through this spring. "

You've been aggressive  to move up for guys, is that your MO as a GM? 

- " Definitely ,  I let the board tell me what decisions we need to make and if a guy is sticking out above everybody  else on the board and continues to fall, with Edwards ,  if we had not got josh, Edwards would have been the guy we took at 12. When he got to 14 Packers were on the clock, man we got to start calling  , Oakland wouldn't do it they had already traded down and wanted to pick at 15 , then we found Baltimore who was willing to do it. We felt the value was there. So when the value meets a big hole that you got, why not be aggressive ". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, MJS said:

Huh... seems like this is said every single year. You know what? They are ALL super important. I would say this off season is less important than the last two were. But still super important.

I say that because this is the first time In a long time I see growth and a future where we can  get to that next level. IMO We can't afford to take any steps back at this point.  Year 2 of Mcd we took a step back but that was necessary to get rid of the dead money. We are great shape in many ways financially at this point. How many years have we been plodding around with revolving coaches and Qb's. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Can you imagine the number of heads that would explode on here if we drafted a Division II Safety with the #22 pick?

It would be a disaster - thankfully I don't think Beane is that dumb

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

Another informative interview done at Senior Bowl with Beane

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bills-gm-brandon-beane-falcons-gm-thomas-dimitroff-join-stf/id1227006689?i=1000463331888

Receivers, tight ends, I like to call them touchdown makers, guys that can get the ball in their hands, to take the pressure off Josh, so he doesn't feel like he has to make every play himself, let me dump this little 6 yard hitch route, have the WR make the guy miss and take it 50"

Some people say potential  historical  WR class, your thoughts on depth?

- " You can tell already  now that everyone has declared  , this class coming into the Senior Bowl  is pretty talented. Senior bowl is great so you can focus on them, then at combine undeclassmen  show up .  WR is a fun position to go through this spring. "

You've been aggressive  to move up for guys, is that your MO as a GM? 

- " Definitely ,  I let the board tell me what decisions we need to make and if a guy is sticking out above everybody  else on the board and continues to fall, with Edwards ,  if we had not got josh, Edwards would have been the guy we took at 12. When he got to 14 Packers were on the clock, man we got to start calling  , Oakland wouldn't do it they had already traded down and wanted to pick at 15 , then we found Baltimore who was willing to do it. We felt the value was there. So when the value meets a big hole that you got, why not be aggressive ". 

If one of the 3 WRs fall; he will be aggressive IMO - shocking

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yup, probably the same amount of heads that exploded when we took the “wrong Josh”.  

Haha ? I kinda want it to happen so I can grab some popcorn and laugh at the meltdown of TSW.

At this point, Beane and McD have earned my trust.  I’m quite pleased with how they have rebuilt this roster in 3 years.  Anyone freaking out over one of their picks needs to take a step back and realize these guys know a heck of a lot more than any of us and bet their future on these draft picks.  If they feel so strongly about a division 2 safety at 22 that they need to pick him or trade down and pick him, then I trust they know what they are doing.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Just leaving this here

Ruggs is the guy I want. Aside from his 40 time which will be around 4.3, he just plays at a different speed than everyone else. He's a playmaker. 

If not Ruggs, I hope we get Denzel Mims in the 2nd. Great size and jump ball ability. 

With Josh Allen's accuracy, we need guys who can make tough catches. Guys who are "open even when they're covered." Ruggs and Mims are those guys. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/02/bills-sean-mcdermott-typical-no-1-wide-receiver-doesnt-exist-in-modern-nfl.html

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/02/what-sean-mcdermott-said-about-being-defensive-coach-in-offensive-era-of-nfl.html

These statements are similar to last year: need to score more points and find receiving help.

Year 4 of the rebuild...time to live up to the standard they've set and stop talking about it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Just leaving this here

Parsing Beane's interview, I strongly suspect they go up for Ruggs if he's still there at 15-17.    He mentioned they want a Tyreek Hill-type explosive player--not a move the chains possession type guy.    

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/25/brandon-beane-buffalo-bills-wide-receivers-nfl-draft-combine-analysis-edge-rushers/

Beane acknowledged the need for more big plays.

“John Brown probably gave us our most explosive plays, and Dawson had a couple explosive plays, and Devin had a few,” Beane said, referring to Dawson Knox and Devin Singletary. “We didn’t have enough explosive plays. The less explosive plays, the more 10-, 12-play drives you’ve got to have. What makes those hard is one penalty sets you back. All of a sudden you get a holding and you’re in second and 20 it becomes hard to get a first down. That’s where you saw the Chiefs have a Tyreek Hill, and he takes it to the house in one play. You’re always looking for explosive guys.”

The only problem is if Ruggs runs a 4.2 and raises his draft stock.    Maybe the Bills should hire someone to "Nancy Kerrigan" him at the combine...  

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/02/bills-sean-mcdermott-typical-no-1-wide-receiver-doesnt-exist-in-modern-nfl.html

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/02/what-sean-mcdermott-said-about-being-defensive-coach-in-offensive-era-of-nfl.html

These statements are similar to last year: need to score more points and find receiving help.

Year 4 of the rebuild...time to live up to the standard they've set and stop talking about it. 

We did get receiving help last year, now we need more of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

We did get receiving help last year, now we need more of it.

They did sign Brown and Beasley, but it was clear during the season that those 2 were limited when teams shaded coverage on Brown.

This season will once and for all define whether or not the HC will transition to being focused on building an elite offense.  To do that, yes, they need another solid receiving option.

Over the past 20 years I've seen coaches talk about offense, but no one has built one here to compete with the elite teams.  Hopefully that is coming to an end, because leading with defense paired with a pedestrian offense cannot vault a team into the competing for division titles or more.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thank you Yolo! I obviously missed the memo on reducing interviews from 60 to 45. That sucks! This is the place that brings the best players to show their wares. Where’s the intelligence in significantly reducing the opportunities to interview prospects?? WTH?!?

PROCESS. We must have PROCESS, Dammit!

It might be they're trying to take a bit of pressure off the top guys. 

One of the more foolish knocks on Mayfield I heard was, he was asked to interview by a team drafting late in the 1st round "we need to talk to you" and pushed back: "Why?  You have your QB".  I didn't blame him a bit for that.

Cutting back on the number of interviews means the teams have to get a bit more selective about who they choose to talk to and focus on the guys they might actually be interested in trying to draft.

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yikes. Hopefully he learned there are such things as #1 WRs.

When McDermott talks offense I cringe a little.... 

Agree with Beane.

Not surprised you’d miss the bigger picture here. Most of the time, people too simply define a “#1 receiver” as the “go to” guy with the most catches. And that’s simply not going to be the case like it used to be in this era of specialization, where matchups are key every week. There are gonna be games where your “#1” simply doesn’t provide the best matchup opportunity on a play to play, series to series basis, depending on the matchups presented. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

That would be Bad.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, probably the same amount of heads that exploded when we took the “wrong Josh”. 

Haha ? I kinda want it to happen so I can grab some popcorn and laugh at the meltdown of TSW.

Yo!  Scott!  CBF!  NG! Chand! Simon!  We got a volunteer for next TBD moderator RIGHT HERE!

• Haha (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not surprised you’d miss the bigger picture here. Most of the time, people too simply define a “#1 receiver” as the “go to” guy with the most catches. And that’s simply not going to be the case like it used to be in this era of specialization, where matchups are key every week. There are gonna be games where your “#1” simply doesn’t provide the best matchup opportunity on a play to play, series to series basis, depending on the matchups presented. 

Thank you. A guy like Brown may get X number of catches and yards, but what did he open up for others because the safety was shading his way or adjusted coverage in some way? Another guy who scares defenses and it gets still easier to open things up in different areas. It’s hard to cover everything if it’s dangerous across the board. People mention Brown and Beasley, while often ignoring Knox, Kroft and Sweeney.

They are working on it, I’ll trust them to know what we need. 

• Like (+1) 2