Beane and McDermott interviews from Combine

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He definitely clearly stated multiple times how deep WR is in draft and also stated that if there are comparable guys available in the next round, he may go with a player at another position where there is a bigger talent gap after that round.

Personally, unless Juedy or Lamb slip, I think the pick is more likely to be DE or right side of the OL.  He put a lot of emphasis on DE in the presser too.  Then WR in the second or even a move up to get back to first or higher in second could be in play.

Also wouldn’t surprise me if they moved down from 22 a little bit if the the right guys are on the board.  

Beane very clearly stated your first comment last year in regards to the TE class and that is why they took Knox, he was the last one available in the  talent range and the drop off after that was huge.

In regards to pick #22, and assuming we stay there, it is very likely that DE and RT will not be the positions of value at that pick (RT would be a horrible overdraft based on talent and the actual positional value itself in relation to RD1) - as of now CB is a great position of value at that pick.

At #22 if the top 3, I like how you conveniently leave Ruggs out (who is being viewed now as possibly the best WR in the class) - that shows some bias on your part or not fully looking at him as a player, I'm not sure what it is, but you should really spend some time looking at him and also look at alot of the recent commentary coming out regarding him - you seem to have a bias against him.

A deep WR draft means that talent can be found throughout x number of rounds, but top end talent is still top end and limited as far as the WRs or any other positions go. The fact is  there are 3 very high ceiling WRs that the depth of the draft does not impact in terms of elite talent; they are a cut above the rest. And we are very light on elite talent at WR adn on offense in general, which is directly tied to not scoring enough points.

Anyways, if those top 3 are gone, WR should get pushed down to another RD the difference between Higgins, Shenault, Jefferson, Aiyuk et al and Mims and further down is much closer in talent than those top guys. DE looks better in RD2/RD3 than at 22 as well. Epenesa, does not look like that much better of a pass rusher than Lawson (who was in hindsight overdrafted based on his pass rush ability - players like him can be found later in the draft).

I will eat my hat if we trade down from #22 and that would be an awful decision, we need impact players and not trying to fill out a roster. Beane has even said that he would prefer to trade picks to move up (in any round) or for future picks; since those players will likely not push the vets or make the team. We either stay put or move up.

RD1 should be used for positions that have a high AAV in contract terms and are highly sought after skill positions (Beane has also said this); frankly RT is not that. DE is most likely to be addressed in FA; there are clear upgrades that will hit FA.

With your comments, it comes off as you are pushing talent up the board to fit needs and that is what our past GMs have done and that is how you get into trouble.

I don’t believe Ruggs is a guy they would trade up for.  I don’t have anything against him, but find it hard to believe they would give up picks to move up and draft another small receiver.  I also don’t think he will last to pick 22.  

So for me, I don’t see us landing Ruggs given I think he goes well before our pick and that he wouldn’t likely be a guy Beane trades up for IMO.  Now if Juedy or Lamb get to say pick 15, then I could see him on the phone.  They are more complete and better compliments to our existing group.

Than can take a guy like Reagor potentially in the second vs trading up for Ruggs.  

If Ruggs lasts to 22, absolutely he’s in play as a potential pick.  But after he smokes the 40 at the combine, I think he will be off the board by 22.  

Honestly, there isn’t a WR projected in first 2 rounds they could take that I wouldn’t be excited for.  I don’t have a bias against any of them.  My comments are about who I think will be on the board at 22 and how they will weigh WR or another position based on the board.  

As of today, I expect Lamb, Juedy, and Ruggs is to be gone by 22.  And honestly Ruggs could be first or second WR taken once he lights up the combine and given Chiefs just won the SB and in a copy cat league, getting a Tyreek Hill type guy could be even more tempting this year.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Shenault isn't the 6 yard catch and turn it into 50 type of guy; he is more a jack of all trades and master of none. Higgins we have met with a lot if I recall from Astro's list - I just don't like him that much as a player either. Mims is a solid choice and I have been up and down on Jefferson. Just don't see any of these guys being an immediate help for Josh and pick #22 is an overdraft for all of them. It is either a trade up or CB at 22.

I'm okay with the non-top 3 if we get a AJ Green type player who can give us some time for the rookie to develop. I'm definitely not saying everyone else will suck, just that it will take time (longer than we want right now) and I really don't want to have to use the 5th year option on Allen for another year to decide.  

I really believe if Beane can find a palatable trade he is going to move up and not back. There is a big reason why he said it is imperative that they get the Board right. IIRC, according to Astro, the only 2 FO guys who went to Alabama this year are Beane & Schoen; not even scout visits - that just seems strange (not saying there is anything to it - other than it is F-ing strange.

Ruggs, Reagor, Aiyuk, and Bowden are the turn a slant, dig or crosser into a TD guys. I’m still not sure why folks seem to think Shenault is that guy. Granted, it’s pretty easy to picture him slipping a tackle on a deep route and taking off up the sideline. He has RB size and contact balance. 

Also.... I’m going to spam about Bowden till the draft since no one is really talking about him. Seems like most forgot about his WR play. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1

Interesting note from the Joe Marino podcast- the Bills were one of only 3 teams who didn’t meet with the national media at the Combine podium yesterday. They only met informally with the local media (as you can see in this thread). Pats and Saints were the other two teams. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree with what you're saying, and I want to see this happen too.

I loved that we signed John Brown & Cole Beasley last season and they were a big help to us.

The problem is that Zay Jones could not be counted on & Robert Foster disappeared.

What I think the Bills should do is approach the off season with a strong emphasis on improving the offense.

Get a veteran WR in free agency and then draft 2 more WR's. Hell, draft 3 WR's. The Bills need all the help they can get.

After Brown & Beasley, every other spot should be open competition, and Brown & Beasley aren't getting any younger.

I'm not saying we should completely ignore the defense this off season, we do need help at DE and getting another CB would be wise.

I do trust Beane, and I think he we will do everything he can to help the Bills get even better than last year. Just have to wait and see.

I would like to see the Bills prioritizing skill positions, adding 2-3  quality WR, 1 TE, 1 RB between draft and FA- along with edge, cb, online.  This is the draft to add a trio of solid WR and get our offense up to 2020

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I found interesting is that if Josh had not been available neither Rosen nor Lamar would have been the choice at number 12. With Lamar they may have felt that he could be had later in the first, but the not taking a QB first would have been a big surprise.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope! 

OK, again....the remark in context sounded a lot less dumb:

Bills head coach Sean McDermott went back to the basics when talking about what he wants out of any receiver added to the Bills roster this offseason.

"Let's start with a guy that can catch the football," McDermott explained. "That's something I think people look past sometimes, right? Speed. People get enamored with speed and the things that stand out, or will be talked about here in a couple days when these young men run the 40. That's great, but at the end of the day you have to be able to play the position and one of the key elements for playing the wide receiver position is being able to catch the football on a consistent basis. It's that trust with the quarterback that develops because of that and being able to catch the football, that's important."

It seems pretty clear what he's saying in a kind of brusque way is that we're not going to get too caught up on great numbers in the Pajama Olympics vs. what's been seen on tape in a WR's fundamental ability to catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

There was nothing “dumb” about McD’s comment, regardless. 

Can anyone here say our receivers were “consistent” in catching the ball as a group last year? More than anything, consistent means catching the damned ball at critical junctures in games. We were lacking in that area to say the least.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, probably the same amount of heads that exploded when we took the “wrong Josh”.  

Haha ? I kinda want it to happen so I can grab some popcorn and laugh at the meltdown of TSW.

At this point, Beane and McD have earned my trust.  I’m quite pleased with how they have rebuilt this roster in 3 years.  Anyone freaking out over one of their picks needs to take a step back and realize these guys know a heck of a lot more than any of us and bet their future on these draft picks.  If they feel so strongly about a division 2 safety at 22 that they need to pick him or trade down and pick him, then I trust they know what they are doing.  

well , it is not how strongly Bills feel alone. It might be how Other Teams feel about him when it comes to when pursue the Kid.
 it is surely an interesting sensation for us Bills fans. Young and Old. 

To finally have some sense of faith and Trust, we have a couple focks who know what the are doing.  Gee whiz it really is good fun after all !
Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect Daboll had an interesting end of season interview with McDermott and Beane

I think it was probably more two-sided than one might expect.

Would wager those 3 have great dialogue actually. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...gonna spend some time researching tonight to see if this is a league wide consensus vs McD being "cutting edge"..............

deep dive my friend !

awaiting your full and extensive report.

My concern is that McD is truly old school in young school shoes.
 :  D

• Haha (+1) 1

A good take by MP, I would not be surprised if they did what he mentioned sticking with Singletary, Yeldon, and Wade, of course this would presume that Wade is up to the task at hand. Doing so would make it easier to sign FAs or draft an additional WR etc, one less need. I do like that they absolutely prioritize the O & D lines, get those right and you have a fighting chance every game. 

BB & SM do the coach and GM speak thing well, never committing to anything publicly ?

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McD is full of coach speak and he has to say the right thing about his players at all time being the leader of them all. It is hard to use much of what he says as far as insight, Beane on the other hand is absolutely as transparent as he can be without divulging his board and rankings or otherwise tipping his hand. You can also easily match up what he says with his past behavior as well which allows us a certain degree of predictability 

Edited by Reed83HOF