Harrison Phillips recovery update

CorkScrewHill

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also if you missed this back in January, worth a read.

The way he eats spinach ?? He tweeted: "What, doesn't everyone eat spinach that way?"

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/my-daily-routine-harrison-phillips

What really strikes me is how disciplined and regimented these guys lives are, and probably have to be even in the off-season.

I never liked spinach growing up. We grew up poor and blocks of frozen spinach were common items in church food pantry.

He should try fresh spinach stir fried with garlic, Chinese style.   He will not be eating spinach first.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also if you missed this back in January, worth a read.

The way he eats spinach ?? He tweeted: "What, doesn't everyone eat spinach that way?"

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/my-daily-routine-harrison-phillips

What really strikes me is how disciplined and regimented these guys lives are, and probably have to be even in the off-season.

I stopped reading at "I typically wake up between 8:45 and 9".  

That's some discipline!  It's not easy for an adult with a job to sleep that late...

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I never liked spinach growing up. We grew up poor and blocks of frozen spinach were common items in church food pantry.

He should try fresh spinach stir fried with garlic, Chinese style.   He will not be eating spinach first.

hmmm, I just may need a bit more recipe there.  Sounds intriguing.

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I stopped reading at "I typically wake up between 8:45 and 9".  

That's some discipline!  It's not easy for an adult with a job to sleep that late...

You do realize this is the football player’s “vacation”, right aka “a delicate time in the life of these young Sahabs” as Marshawn Lynch put it.

Football players get paid per game during the season, and per week during training camp.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

hmmm, I just may need a bit more recipe there.  Sounds intriguing.

You do realize this is the football player’s “vacation”, right aka “a delicate time in the life of these young Sahabs” as Marshawn Lynch put it.

Football players get paid per game during the season, and per week during training camp.

Yeah, I do realize that.  It's a 6+ month vacation. 

The average game check is more than the US annual average worker salary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Sounds like You should of been a football player.?

Who wouldn't want that life!  Tons of money, play a game a week.  Half the year off.  First class travel, training facilities.  Retire young.  Start second career with money in the bank.

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Based on?

He played an equitable amount of snaps with Star during the first two weeks, (including when he got hurt) and, at least from my estimation, was playing good football. It looked like he was ready to take a step forward. Obviously that's a hypothetical, but I expect he'll be a key piece if he gets back healthy. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who wouldn't want that life!  Tons of money, play a game a week.  Half the year off.  First class travel, training facilities.  Retire young.  Start second career with money in the bank.

Get paid to work out. 

I have to drag myself to gym and I’m the one paying them!

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, I do realize that.  It's a 6+ month vacation. 

The average game check is more than the US annual average worker salary.

The average US job doesn't involve having multiple refrigerator-size guys slam into you or pound you into the concrete 64 times per game, every Sunday.

And the average duration of a normal career is longer than 3-4 years.

Yes, NFL players get very well paid for what they do, but let's not pretend there isn't significant down-side to compensate for a few months/yr of rising at 9 am.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My spouse worked with a guy who had an NFL "cup of coffee".  Signed as an UDFA NT by the Raiders out of college. 

Most aggressive person I've ever known - very nice guy, but intensity and aggression just radiated off of him.  When he asked for something, people's natural reaction was "Yes, Sir!".

He had a decent camp, was offered a spot on their practice squad - and quit.   Put his engineering degree to use instead.  Asked him why once.  Said he just didn't like pain enough to compete with the guys who were successful.

So yeah, lots of people would love the money and the lifestyle it can bring but it takes a special breed of person to actually do it.  And no, they don't get half the year off.  They take about a month off (unless they're rehabbing) then they get back to work with sore-making off-season conditioning.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The average US job doesn't involve having multiple refrigerator-size guys slam into you or pound you into the concrete 64 times per game, every Sunday.

And the average duration of a normal career is longer than 3-4 years.

Yes, NFL players get very well paid for what they do, but let's not pretend there isn't significant down-side to compensate for a few months/yr of rising at 9 am.

College kids are doing that for free on Saturdays.

The "3-4 year average" is heavily skewed by the number of guys who get signed  and waived and on and off PS's and guys who never make it on to a final roster--like the guy you mention above.

And off seasoning condition is really not "going to work"...unless you are a conditioning trainer.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My spouse worked with a guy who had an NFL "cup of coffee".  Signed as an UDFA NT by the Raiders out of college. 

Most aggressive person I've ever known - very nice guy, but intensity and aggression just radiated off of him.  When he asked for something, people's natural reaction was "Yes, Sir!".

He had a decent camp, was offered a spot on their practice squad - and quit.   Put his engineering degree to use instead.  Asked him why once.  Said he just didn't like pain enough to compete with the guys who were successful.

So yeah, lots of people would love the money and the lifestyle it can bring but it takes a special breed of person to actually do it.  And no, they don't get half the year off.  They take about a month off (unless they're rehabbing) then they get back to work with sore-making off-season conditioning.

Man, they have to run and be active and lift weights for 5 months? I bet they’d rather sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12 hours a day. 

When I get the miracle of a vacation, I actually use that time to try to work out more frequently. And they get 5 months of it!

Edited by FireChans