Harrison Phillips recovery update

CorkScrewHill

Good to hear, keep up the good work HP!

Makes JP even more of a challenge to keep.  I say let him test the market and if he comes back as Spotrac states at $6.25 mil. Then would be even better on the inside.  I still want Ngokue, and Hooper.  Draft two WR’s and an edge rusher and we are set, after we get late Dillon.  It would be great in a mid round to get a RT to share time with Nsekhe, and move Ford to LG.  Let Spain walk unless we keep Ford at RT, and make an offer for Spain.

My perfect off season along with extending ones we want.  

24 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Makes JP even more of a challenge to keep.  I say let him test the market and if he comes back as Spotrac states at $6.25 mil. Then would be even better on the inside.  I still want Ngokue, and Hooper.  Draft two WR’s and an edge rusher and we are set, after we get late Dillon.  It would be great in a mid round to get a RT to share time with Nsekhe, and move Ford to LG.  Let Spain walk unless we keep Ford at RT, and make an offer for Spain.

they've already stated that's exactly what they are doing..... I moved on from Jordan phillips over a month ago when beane said he earned the right to test the market. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sounds like trending in a very positive direction. Like his potential as a piece in our rotational line. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/21/buffalo-bills-harrison-phillips-acl-really-well/

Just the point that they refer to Harrison Phillips as a replacement for Jordan Phillips.

I am not competent to judge his positional flexibility, but that isn't the role was playing before the injury.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wouldn’t say makes it a challenge to keep him... Makes it easier to let him walk and let another team over pay.  

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sounds like trending in a very positive direction. Like his potential as a piece in our rotational line. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/21/buffalo-bills-harrison-phillips-acl-really-well/

This is a piece by Chris Brown on Buffalobills.com from which the above seems to pull info and quotes.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/harrison-phillips-an-inside-look-into-the-lessons-learned-during-his-recovery-fr

Some interesting points not covered in the OP link:

-He emphasizes that the Bills training staff is really big on not pushing it too hard.  In the past, some successful rehabbing athletes have said "whatever the trainers tell you to do, do twice as much".  I guess the question is whether our trainers are already telling him to do the right amount and those guys weren't having the athlete do enough.

-How high-tech the training is - using GPS trackers to measure his running speed for example, and telling him to step up or back off.  ""I'll say, 'Hey guys, you know I feel really good. We were doing 600 pounds on leg press. I want to do 700. I think I have it.' And they'll send me an article saying why you shouldn't push up to 90 percent of your max on this exercise. They have so much knowledge. They're so smart. I'm just learning so much about the why."

-How he assumed more of a DL-assistant role and traveled with the team at the end of the season: ""I started doing more in a sort of assistant coaching role," he said. "When the players would come to me on the sideline and Jerry (Hughes) and Shaq (Lawson) would ask, 'Hey what rush should we do on this play?' And I said, 'Hey I would run this game.' And then they went out there and ran that game and got a sack. Well I really felt like I was more part of the team"

-How he had inherited the on-field pass rush calling duties from Kyle Williams "Phillips had inherited the on-field pass rushing play call duties from Kyle Williams in 2019. He far and away did the most film study to put together a pass rush plan, and either he or Lorenzo Alexander would call them on the field pre-snap".  With 'Zo gone makes it seem more critical to get Phillips back on the field.

[I should add, I'm a little bit skeptical of the all-encompasing wisdom of athletic trainers when it comes to athlete peak performance.  I have several friends into distance bike racing (mtn bike, centuries etc) who were pretty good and got with a high-tech trainer who gave them all sorts of output-driven guidance and it didn't entirely have the hoped-for results of improving on what they did just going "balls-out and beyond".  Some aspects helped, such as getting them on an electrolyte capsule and glucose gel regime.  But of course, the trainer in question was someone an amateur racer could hire, and maybe the Bills trainers are the best of the best and on a different order of knowledge and skill.]

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Also if you missed this back in January, worth a read.

The way he eats spinach ?? He tweeted: "What, doesn't everyone eat spinach that way?"

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/my-daily-routine-harrison-phillips

What really strikes me is how disciplined and regimented these guys lives are, and probably have to be even in the off-season.

Can't wait for him to get back one thing i noticed last season it seemed as though just about every photo of the team you would see Harry in there some where just wanting to hang out with the guys & in the past i've not seen that from others hurt & out for a season to do rehab .

I don't know if it's the norm to stay at the house & not travel with the team if a player is hurt but Harry wanted to be there given every chance he is definitely 1 player that i can't wait to see back on the field i just hope his injury doesn't effect him like it has others like Murph .

It seems as if the first year back that it just takes them some time to get back to their old selves on the field & some just never make it back but i think Harry has age & determination & the Bills blue collar work ethic on his side ...

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also if you missed this back in January, worth a read.

The way he eats spinach ?? He tweeted: "What, doesn't everyone eat spinach that way?"

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/my-daily-routine-harrison-phillips

What really strikes me is how disciplined and regimented these guys lives are, and probably have to be even in the off-season.

Yeah, I'm the type of person that gets depressed when I am in a routine like that. I can't handle the lack of variety in my life, but some guys really thrive with a routine. I can't even handle going to bed at the same time or waking up at the same time. I like to change things up on a day to day basis. Routine is probably better health wise, but it's just not who I am.

41 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

This is one of the reasons you don't have to break the bank on Jordan P. 

I'm starting to think, though, that Jordan Phillips will not have as much interest as many think. I bet he'll get a lot of short-term prove it deal type offers. He might sign back with Buffalo in the end because we may be willing to give him a longer-term offer. But honestly, I'd love it if Harrison and Oliver were the unquestioned starters, Jordan might want a situation where he is starting somewhere.

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm starting to think, though, that Jordan Phillips will not have as much interest as many think. I bet he'll get a lot of short-term prove it deal type offers. He might sign back with Buffalo in the end because we may be willing to give him a longer-term offer. But honestly, I'd love it if Harrison and Oliver were the unquestioned starters, Jordan might want a situation where he is starting somewhere.

McDermott loves him his DL rotations

• Like (+1) 1