Mel Kiper Mock 2.0(ESPN Insider)

Buffalo716

37 minutes ago, GG said:

For all the love that Ruggs is now getting, why in the world was he the #3 WR on his college team?   Why weren't they spoon-feeding the ball to the apparently best playmaker in college and promptly fell out of BCS contention?

Asked another way, when was the last time the 3rd most productive Jr/Sr WR on a nationally ranked team went on to greatness?

He was playing with other 5 Star recruits. Not everyone can get the ball every play... Lots of mouths to feed

Ruggs is my number 1 choice for the Bills in the 1st round.

- Game breaker, touchdown maker
- Not JUST a fast guy, can run routes and has good hands
- Already likes Brian Daboll and knows his playbook, could hit the ground running

After likely running in the 4.3s or even 4.2s, I don't see him making it to pick 22.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was playing with other 5 Star recruits. Not everyone can get the ball every play... Lots of mouths to feed

I hear that, which doesn't explain why he would jump above a guy who had nearly twice the targets on the same team with all that top talent.

7 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

If Ruggs drops to picks #16-17, would you want Beane to trade up and get him? Getting Ruggs/his elite speed for our offense would be a dream for our offense, but I don't think I could justify giving up the resources it would take to trade up any higher than that.

Question is if John Ross (a less productive and complete player) can get drafted in the top 10 based on his combine, Ruggs will probably go top 10 as well if he has the combine people expect. Anyways fingers crossed. 

This is the toughest question we face this year.

While I would never want to trade up for a WR, and folks talk about the depth of this WR class... IMO there is a big drop off from Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and the rest of the class.

So do you burn 2 (or more) picks to get up and get a top talent? Or do you stay put but also use 2 picks on multiple WRs through the draft in order to hedge your bets, and hope to hit on at least one of them?

I'm glad I'm not Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is the toughest question we face this year.

While I would never want to trade up for a WR, and folks talk about the depth of this WR class... IMO there is a big drop off from Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and the rest of the class.

So do you burn 2 (or more) picks to get up and get a top talent? Or do you stay put but also use 2 picks on multiple WRs through the draft in order to hedge your bets, and hope to hit on at least one of them?

I'm glad I'm not Brandon Beane.

Just because I was interested about costs:

Bills 1 and 2 would be enough to get to about 14.

Bills 1 and 3 would be enough to get to about 18.

Bills 1 and 4 would only get them up 1 spot

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the slot you have to trade up to makes all the difference.    Trading up into the top 10?   Way too expensive (as we saw with Sammy).       Trading up to 15-17?    Very doable and worth it, as we saw in the Edmunds trade.

If the difference-maker WR they covet is there at 15-17, I think they absolutely should -- and will -- trade up...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billspro said:

I just can’t get excited about Ayiuk. He is a tough e v a l because he catches a lot of screen passes. 

That is true. I think he is a specific scheme fit. I can't get excited about Jefferson. I expected to like him a lot more than I did. When I put the tape on I was a bit underwhelmed. I think he could be a decent "big slot" but that isn't a guy you take in the 1st ever for my money. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

I think the slot you have to trade up to makes all the difference.    Trading up into the top 10?   Way too expensive (as we saw with Sammy).       Trading up to 15-17?    Very doable and worth it, as we saw in the Edmunds trade.

If the difference-maker WR they covet is there at 15-17, I think they absolutely should -- and will -- trade up...

17 hours ago, section122 said:

Just because I was interested about costs:

Bills 1 and 2 would be enough to get to about 14.

Bills 1 and 3 would be enough to get to about 18.

Bills 1 and 4 would only get them up 1 spot

Thanks for the info and good points, gents.

It's crazy how different the dynamic is when we are drafting so late instead of top-10 like usual. I keep forgetting to keep that in mind.

However, that makes it all the more costly in order to move up too.

@Lurker, to your point about trading up to 15-17... while I like it in theory, when I look at the values @section122 put together, I don't think I'm willing to trade our 1st AND 2nd to get there. Or even our 1st and 3rd frankly. 1st and 4th maybe, but that doesnt seem to get us anywhere.

Although if Beane works some Free Agency magic and lands Ngakoue/Jones or the like, I would instantly feel better about dealing that 2nd rounder if necessary.

Tough spot to be in. Still a conundrum...

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

...to your point about trading up to 15-17... while I like it in theory, when I look at the values @section122 put together, I don't think I'm willing to trade our 1st AND 2nd to get there. Or even our 1st and 3rd frankly. 1st and 4th maybe, but that doesnt seem to get us anywhere.

IMO, it's time to pivot away, within reason, from hoarding draft capital (to get as many reinforcements as possible) and embrace taking a swing at getting a difference maker.   

I think many folks are still scarred by the Watkins trade up--which in retrospect was dumb/premature, because we didn't have the rest of the team ready for a WR like him.    The current Bills roster is a much different animal.

The core of the team is now in place.    What's lacking is the 'explosive playmaker' that Beane talked about at the combine.     IMO, adding that guy to the current mix would be worth giving up an extra second or third round pick (we would be swapping pick #22 for something higher, so 'trading our 1st' really isn't an issue)...     

20 hours ago, GG said:

For all the love that Ruggs is now getting, why in the world was he the #3 WR on his college team?   Why weren't they spoon-feeding the ball to the apparently best playmaker in college and promptly fell out of BCS contention?

Asked another way, when was the last time the 3rd most productive Jr/Sr WR on a nationally ranked team went on to greatness?

Ruggs played a ton with an amazingly talented WR group.    Judey's projected to go even higher than him, maybe 8-10.    And DeVonta Smith's going to be a top pick in the 2021 draft...