Golfing Bucket List

billsfanmiami(oh)

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t have a lot of crazy courses that I’ve played. I’d say the nicest are out in Arizona. I play the course here that hosts the tournament a few times a year. My friends always play the week after with the stands up. That sounds pretty cool.

I do have some good golf events. I was there when Justin Leonard hit the putt at the Ryder Cup in 1999. That’s pretty high on my list of favorite sports moments that I attended.

That's pretty cool.  I've attended two US Opens at Pinehurst...went on both Friday and Sunday in 2005, and on Sunday in 2014.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not much of a golfer, but I’ve toured golf courses on Kauai, Pebble Beach, and St. Andrews.  Kauai and Pebble Beach are beautiful, St. Andrews was interesting. Different style of course, and multiple courses dovetail into each other.  My wife and I got our picture taken in “the bridge” which was a little embarrassing. I’m a tourist, not a golfer. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m not much of a golfer, but I’ve toured golf courses on Kauai, Pebble Beach, and St. Andrews.  Kauai and Pebble Beach are beautiful, St. Andrews was interesting. Different style of course, and multiple courses dovetail into each other.  My wife and I got our picture taken in “the bridge” which was a little embarrassing. I’m a tourist, not a golfer. 

hard enough to hear the jibes at church from hard-driven Scots, let alone a caddy after he sees I don't belong out there on a prestige course in Scotland  :(

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hard enough to hear the jibes at church from hard-driven Scots, let alone a caddy after he sees I don't belong out there on a prestige course in Scotland  :(

It’s funny that you say that.  The tour guide at St. Andrews made a snide remark about tourists who buy souvenir hats and they didn’t even play the course.  My wife grumbled about the guy’s attitude as she bought three or four souvenir hats. 

57 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

It’s funny that you say that.  The tour guide at St. Andrews made a snide remark about tourists who buy souvenir hats and they didn’t even play the course.  My wife grumbled about the guy’s attitude as she bought three or four souvenir hats. 

my neighbourhood growing was UK expats from Scotland and England mostly, someone asked if one friend's father was saying the eff-word practically every sentence he spoke

i thought about it and after knowing him for 20 years never thought about it

fine bunch of folk once you get to know them

Heeding the advice of many on here, we have caddy’s booked for next weekend. Had one on the Ocean course and definitely helped a lot, especially putting. One putt I remember I literally would have aimed the total opposite way on my own. Followed the caddy’s advice & sank it ?

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yes. Local knowledge. That’s what I too would be lacking. 

that local knowledge never helped me when out 150 and i'm facing a small green that is surrounded on 3 sides by water and fronted by two deep sandtraps, and it's highly convex or concave...  :(

right to the pin at a steep angle, oh it bounced 20- feet into the water

i never was able to master spins or such, had the honour of playing behind two tour pros at Glen Abbey once and watched their magic unfold

On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

Enjoy! You are in for a treat

On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Random, bored offseason topic. Scratching one off the bucket list in two weeks, heading to Pinehurst. Playing The Cradle and #8 on Saturday, then the big one #2 on Sunday. Haven’t swung a club since August & subsequent elbow surgery in September so I’m sure I’ll really rip it up. Anyone played there? How was it? 

Haven’t played too many top courses but have played Seven Canyons in Arizona and have played the Ocean course at Kiawah, both of which were awesome. Actually had some good moments at both. What’s a couple on your golf bucket list? 

Also, if you haven’t played Tobacco Road... it’s a must

31 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Tabacco road is an insanely difficult course for the average golfer.  My brother in law is a pro golfer who has bounced around mostly the minor tours, but has played a few seasons on the PGA over the years. Years ago when he was just dating my wife's sister my father in law was coming to visit and wanted to golf with us, so he put me in charge of setting it up the place and I picked Tobacco Road. I had played there a few times and struggled mightily, but when I told my brother in law where we were playing he kind of rolled his eyes. So we get to the tee box on #1 and he is going from the tips. The starter comes over and gives us a lecture on how that probably isnt a good idea yada yada. BIL doesn't say anything, but I pulled the starter aside and told him that he'd be fine that he plays professionally...I got a little eye roll as I dont think he believed me. He was worried about pace of play though so I understand where he was coming from. As we finish our round I'm driving my cart towards the clubhouse and I see the same starter and wave him down and ask him..remember that guy i told you was a pro who was playing from the tips? What do you think he shot today? He guessed 80. Nope, try 62. All the waste areas and blind greens at Tobacco road get the average golfer in a heap of trouble very quickly, but it's an extremely short course, and for the pros who can hit every club in their bag with insane precision, it's more like putt putt.

That was the first of a few times I have played a round of "golf" with him. It's one thing to watch the pros play live, but to actually play a round side by side with someone at that level you quickly realize that they are playing the game of golf and most of the rest of us are playing something totally different. It's still fun trying though..most of the time!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ClemsonBills said:

This is a true "love it or hate it" track.  It's a little gimmicky, and totally a target course.  If you can't hit your clubs somewhat consistently you'll be in trouble all day.

That said, I really enjoy playing there.  It's unique and (I think) a fun layout.  Makes you think about each shot.  I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning golfer but if your handicap is under 20 I think you'd enjoy it.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:12 PM, Augie said:

HA! I almost specifically mentioned the pimento cheese sandwich. I had one, but thought it might gross out some northern folks! I just looked it up, the sandwich was $1.50 last year and you could get a beer for $4. Not exactly Super Bowl prices. 

Obviously, follow the rules! They do NOT tolerate nonsense.  Cell phones stay in the car. 

As far as following the rules, per the contract I have, if I were to get kicked out, I owe $15k PER PASS. I think I’ll down more sandwiches than beers :) 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Tabacco road is an insanely difficult course for the average golfer.  My brother in law is a pro golfer who has bounced around mostly the minor tours, but has played a few seasons on the PGA over the years. Years ago when he was just dating my wife's sister my father in law was coming to visit and wanted to golf with us, so he put me in charge of setting it up the place and I picked Tobacco Road. I had played there a few times and struggled mightily, but when I told my brother in law where we were playing he kind of rolled his eyes. So we get to the tee box on #1 and he is going from the tips. The starter comes over and gives us a lecture on how that probably isnt a good idea yada yada. BIL doesn't say anything, but I pulled the starter aside and told him that he'd be fine that he plays professionally...I got a little eye roll as I dont think he believed me. He was worried about pace of play though so I understand where he was coming from. As we finish our round I'm driving my cart towards the clubhouse and I see the same starter and wave him down and ask him..remember that guy i told you was a pro who was playing from the tips? What do you think he shot today? He guessed 80. Nope, try 62. All the waste areas and blind greens at Tobacco road get the average golfer in a heap of trouble very quickly, but it's an extremely short course, and for the pros who can hit every club in their bag with insane precision, it's more like putt putt.

That was the first of a few times I have played a round of "golf" with him. It's one thing to watch the pros play live, but to actually play a round side by side with someone at that level you quickly realize that they are playing the game of golf and most of the rest of us are playing something totally different. It's still fun trying though..most of the time!

I’m a decent golfer. I played it for my first time about 3 years ago and shot 74 (I’m a 3 handicap). Course is just incredibly designed. If I played it again I’m sure I’d find more trouble. But it’s not as challenging as some make it out. The waste bunkers will get many inexperienced golfers. But I don’t expect many inexperienced golfers willing to pay 100 or so to play this course. Pinehurst will beat up a 20 plus handicap more than TRoad

Edited by ClemsonBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On one outing a hapless coworker was screamed at by the boss and told to go sit in the ducking cart for the last 14 holes 

he boasted he could play golf, put up about 33 on the first 4 holes, like 99 percent would do who think they can take on a real course

^^^^^^

I have only played Tobacco Road once, not a fan. Don't remember what i shot, think it was okay...just did not enjoy the course at all.Could be the beer selection sucked as well, that forms my opinion of the course more than the course itself LOL.